iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna quality, how has it been compromised since sold at big box stores?

Started by brettl, December 12, 2013, 07:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Yeah, a company can own 2 brands, and build / price to different segments of the market.  Sure the ones you point out have a pretty common line up, they just have 2 dealer networks, but that's more of an exception.

Black and Decker / Dewalt for example. I won't say Dewalt are the Best tools out there, but they are an order of magnitude above the stuff sold with a B&D badge. Same company, and they address different markets with different brands.

Toyota and Lexus?

Stihl and Husky address different markets under the same umbrella. But they have "Pro" product, and they have homeowner product.  So the cheap Stihls aren't really that great, but don't tell the customers that.  ;) :D They think it's the same as the real lumberjacks use.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Spike60

To answer the original question: No way does the offering of cheaper models compromise the quality of the pro stuff. Both Husky and Stihl moved into the lower price points years ago to fill the vacuum left by the departure of what was left of Homelite and McCulloch. But both companies have wisely not abandoned or neglected the higher end of the market.

Husky has split the low end biz between the Poulan stuff and some of the more decent models like the 445 and 455. Stihl covers those same market segments but has so far stayed out of the box stores. Both companies still retain their leading edge dominance of the saw market.

But still, a lot of people buy these products based on the strength of a brand name that was built on saws like the 372 and 044. So they get the cheapest one they can and there's really no way it's going to live up to the customer's expectations. So, that once admired brand now looks quite different in that customer's eye. Is he going to by another one? Taking the saws out of the discussion, look at the cheap John Deere tractors sold at Lowes and Depot. Just a low end machine, but the new owner rides around his yard with a big smile cause he's got himself a shiny new John Deere and his neighbors have Craftsmans and what not. 2 years later and the deck is falling apart along with a few other things and the smile on the guys face has turned to a frown. Again, Is he gonna run out and buy another one? The really sad part is that the numbers support the business model of capturing people like this with low end equipment even if there's a good chance he'll be disappointed with it. The guy who hates his MS170 and will never buy another Stihl is replaced buy a guy who hates his Husky 240.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

brettl

Thank you to everyone who's replied. I see the 455 mentioned a lot and there's been a large number of them pop up for sale over the last month or two on cl, most in the $400 range, might as well buy a new one for that, or better yet, one of these older pro rebuilds offered by some of you. I saw a 455 Rancher in pretty good shape at a pawn shop today for $200. Is there a way to tell the age of these saws without sending a serial number to the manufacturer? Has the 455 Rancher been strictly a big box store saw?

SawTroll

Quote from: brettl on December 18, 2013, 08:15:42 PM
Thank you to everyone who's replied. I see the 455 mentioned a lot and there's been a large number of them pop up for sale over the last month or two on cl, most in the $400 range, might as well buy a new one for that, or better yet, one of these older pro rebuilds offered by some of you. I saw a 455 Rancher in pretty good shape at a pawn shop today for $200. Is there a way to tell the age of these saws without sending a serial number to the manufacturer? Has the 455 Rancher been strictly a big box store saw?

Not strictly - it is one of the low end plastic cased models that real dealers are willing to sell.
Information collector.

Mountain_d

Seems the cheaper Husky models will have a chrome muffler while the pro series wil sport a black muffler.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Gdalesio

I just went through the same thing, I bought a 16" husquavarna from a box store and it did not run that good, ( maverick air). Had to get service at a off site authorized repair shop.   It's the consumer line that I purchased and is built by poulan, I returned it and bought a commercial Husquavarna 353 at a local small engine shop, oh my.... Now that's a saw, nice power to weight ratio, nice balance, low vibe, very happy with the saw.

Thank You Sponsors!