iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To limb or not to limb?

Started by DGK, January 14, 2014, 07:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

I have a small logging block of pine and spruce to cut in the spring. My question is; do most loggers limb before skidding or after? The reason I ask this is that the guys skidding standing dead, limb at the landing as many of the branches break off while skidding. In the past, I have only limbed at the stump. I will be skidding with an ATV (don't laugh too hard) it is the only way to be allowed to log this site without frozen ground.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

DDDfarmer

I would limb a good portion where the tree falls then finish what's left when you get to the landing.  It would be much easier to pull and could pull 3 or 4 depending on the size.  Even with the skidder I limb what I can get easy in the woods.  Less limbs at the landing.  Make yourself a logging arch or half a bob-sleigh to get the butts off the ground, makes a big difference.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

clww

We do not run any mechanized de-limber or processors, so I do the limbing where the trees drop, before it gets dragged. If it's on the bottom, or otherwise inaccessible, it gets finished on the landing. Some limbs get removed once it's on the trailer. ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

OntarioAl

Doug
Limb where you fall, like DDDfarmer says it will be a lot easier to pull with your ATV.
Al
Al Raman

thecfarm

Be a hard pull I would feel for a ATV with limbs. I don't like to have any limbs on my trees. I only cut firewood on my land.One limb can really plow the ground up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

plasticweld

Not that you can do this with a ATV but with a skidder cutting pine and hemlock I often use a gate delimber, then clean up the rest after it has been pushed through

DGK

Thanks for the comments. I have used a skidding cone on snow and am considering a log rite arch for the snow free conditions. Has anyone used the log rite buck arch? The tree diameter that I will be falling range from 10"-15" dbh. The buck arch looks like it would be much easier to throw over the log (or logs). These logs are going to be for 6" & 8" cants which I will mill at the landing then deliver directly to the customer.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Thank You Sponsors!