iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickest way to make shiplap

Started by brendonv, June 22, 2014, 12:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

I have two sides left of my garage to finish. Dreading it.

At first id shiplap with a router, burnt one out.

Second i was cutting one slit on the table saw, then turning and cutting the next. Took forever.

Last time i used a dato bit. Worked good, slower, and really hurt my back trying to keep the board pressed tightly against the fence.

Any other ideas, or tools to make the dato experience easier?

Shoulda just did clapboard, or b and b. but the smooth side sure does look nice.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dan_Shade

a feeder and a shaper with a rabbet bit, or a feeder with a dado in a table saw would do the trick.

If you don't have a feeder, use a good set of feather boards to hold the boards down and against the fence.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

I've made a bunch using the two cut method on a table saw. It's not fun, but it works. I second the feather boards, they will really help whether you are using two cut or a dado head. You could also keep your eye out for a 6" or 8" jointer with the shiplap groove on the front. You move the fence on the jointer out so it's the thickness of the shiplap from the edge. There is a groove on the outfeed table (called a rabbeting table) that accepts the shiplapped board. I bet you could find a small jointer cheap that has that feature, but not all of them do.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red oaks lumber

find a company in your area that has the equipment to make it for you
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Den Socling

I'm with red oaks. Find a company with the equipment who does 1000's of feet a day, and they may run yours for pennies.

brendonv

Hmm. Ive never seen the featherboards before. They look promising. The biggest problem was keeping it tight against the fence, and keeping down pressure. Really wrenched my back. Ill give these a shot. I only have 50' of 8" boards to do. Next time im doing something else.  :D

www.VorioTree.com

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

OneWithWood

I did a couple hundred 12' boards for siding on an addition to the barn.  I used a dado set-up and a power feeder on my table saw with feather boards.
The power feeder has been a great tool to have on numerous occasions.  If you have back issues you might want to look into one.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LittleJohn

FInd someone with a large four-sided planer and see if they have the heads to cut it.

Thats what the old man did; and we are talking about many thousands of board feet; fully wrapped 48'x90' (12' walls) garage & 3.5k sf house, with shiplap from this method.

He also sawed all his own lumber, for both buildings, expect for rafters, green treat and anything over 14' long.  Also took him a good 5-8 years to accumulate all the lumber.

WmFritz

Quote from: OneWithWood on June 23, 2014, 12:19:40 PM

The power feeder has been a great tool to have on numerous occasions. 

OWW... what size motor is yours? I'm taking a hard look at a 1/4 HP three roller feeder.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Larry

Here is a selection of shop made feather boards.

You can use them to both hold the board against and fence or clamp one to your fence to hold the board flat to the table.

Besides those there are a bunch that use scraps of plastic or slices from PVC pipe to do similar.  Another idea is wheels to hold the board down.  Maybe the first was called Ripstrate.  Think there defunct now, but you can fine em on eBay.  Another idea is something called Board Buddies.  They can be adjusted to keep the board down and against the fence.  Mounting them is awkward. 

Like others have said, there are better ways to run shiplap than a table saw.  But if that is all you have and a one time deal go for it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

Larry, your feather boards look almost exactly like mine... except I dont have the holes in them. What are the holes for?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 23, 2014, 10:53:14 PM
Larry, your feather boards look almost exactly like mine... except I dont have the holes in them. What are the holes for?

My guess would be to hang them on the side of the table saw so you don't use them for firewood! :D Or to keep them from the dogs - my dogs are always stealing scraps of wood and chew them up in the yard.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

kelLOGg

I made a spring-loaded arm to press the board tightly against the fence. It made true and straight cuts but I wasn't shiplapping. It does the same thing as a featherboard. Are you also putting down-pressure on the board?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

OneWithWood

Quote from: WmFritz on June 23, 2014, 07:16:54 PM
Quote from: OneWithWood on June 23, 2014, 12:19:40 PM

The power feeder has been a great tool to have on numerous occasions. 

OWW... what size motor is yours? I'm taking a hard look at a 1/4 HP three roller feeder.

It is the 1 hp model in single phase. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

brendonv

I did 45 boards without any assistance this week. So 90 rips 8'-9' long. I gotta say my back doesnt hurt all that bad this time.  :D. Im def going to pick up that mag featherboard next time I'm at hd. Looks like it has many uses.

www.VorioTree.com

bill m

I did over 500 boards, 8 to 16 ft. long, this past winter on my table saw. 4 passes for each board. They were for an addition to my sugarhouse.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

hackberry jake

Running 16' long boards down a table saw 4 times each sure doesnt sound like fun to me. But I'm more of an 8' and 4' lumber kinda guy  ;)

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

Shaper and feather boards.  ;D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

LittleJohn

I say find some body with a 4-sided planer and the right heads

Just over 6k sf of shiplap on this building exterior alone

hackberry jake

That's cheating using a bucket truck!

LittleJohn

Quote from: hackberry jake on July 01, 2014, 06:45:18 PM
That's cheating using a bucket truck!

...NO its using the right tool for the job, also helps to know the right people.  By the way when we went to drive the truck out, we almost dumped it in the lake seen in back ground, because of all the mud on the side slope

**Also we sheathed and roof this building by ourselves 55 squares, paid someone to do the house

brendonv

Haha. Wow thats alot of shiplap. I have thirty feet of 15' boards to do. Im gonna suck it up and use the dato.  :(

www.VorioTree.com

36 coupe

A Belsaw planer will make shiplap easy.I might use the table saw to make enough for a door but set up the Belsaw for more than door.Cant imagine doing woodworking with out a Belsaw or Woodmaster planer/moulder.Power feed,5 hp no pushing or pulling stock.

Thank You Sponsors!