iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Stand-Alone Bar Top

Started by WDH, June 07, 2014, 09:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I built a stand alone island bar top for a Lady that wanted to replace a particle board and formica top.  Nothing fancy at all, just 9/4 walnut.  62" long x 39" wide.  Sometimes, the wood just speaks for itself and simple is good.  I matched the wood so that the sapwood flowed and looked natural.  She did not ask for it like this, but I did it this way because to me it gives nice color and character to a bar top.  People will explore and examine the wood when they are sitting at the bar. 

If she does not like it, I will keep it, no problem  :).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If she does not like it, it will make a nice Birthday present for somebody.  ::)        :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 07, 2014, 10:02:41 PM
If she does not like it, it will make a nice Birthday present for somebody.  ::)        :D

Shameless  :D :D

Danny, I love it and agree that the sapwood adds to the beauty.

I've got one to build too just about the same size.
I hope mine turns out half as nice.  ;)

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

Nice job matching the colors in the top. Beautiful top, for sure.

Finish will be?  or is?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bill Gaiche

WDH

David,

If I knew anyone who might have had a birthday yesterday, I would gladly give it to them  :D.

BT, the top is unfinished.  The customer will do the finish sanding and apply the finish.  I recommended 100% tung oil and mineral spirits in a 1:1 mix.  3 or 4 coats.  It is the most water resistant of the oil finishes and can easily be renewed. 

Another choice is mineral oil (like the medicinal stuff you get from the drugstore) mixed with paraffin wax like is used on butcher-block tops.  Shave the paraffin into a small pot using a cheese grater.  Fill with mineral oil.  Put on stove and heat the pot until the wax melts into the mineral oil. 

A satin poly would provide the most protection from cups, glasses, etc that are prone to leaving water rings on wood surfaces, and might be the best choice, depending on how the top will be used, prepare i.e., preparing food.   

BTW, BT, how are your walnut trees doing?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

WDH,write this down. My birthday is Sept 4th.  :D  hint,hint.  ;D
That looks good. As always.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 08, 2014, 07:19:51 AM

BT, the top is unfinished.  The customer will do the finish sanding and apply the finish.  I recommended 100% tung oil and mineral spirits in a 1:1 mix.  3 or 4 coats.  It is the most water resistant of the oil finishes and can easily be renewed. 

Another choice is mineral oil (like the medicinal stuff you get from the drugstore) mixed with paraffin wax like is used on butcher-block tops.  Shave the paraffin into a small pot using a cheese grater.  Fill with mineral oil.  Put on stove and heat the pot until the wax melts into the mineral oil. 

A satin poly would provide the most protection from cups, glasses, etc that are prone to leaving water rings on wood surfaces, and might be the best choice, depending on how the top will be used, prepare i.e., preparing food.   

Good info here Danny, saved to file.  smiley_thumbsup

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

QuoteBTW, BT, how are your walnut trees doing?

They are doing well, thanks... the plantation trees are fine but I'll not live long enough to see any of them harvested.  Another 40 years or so for them.
The many other black walnut trees on the place are getting to cutting size. No immediate plans to cut them however.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Pretty top there Danny! hard to see where anyone would not love this addition.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

julio

I got one that looks as good as that one and it wasn't my B-DAY   thankS WDH 8) 8)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

WDH

This one was made from some younger walnut trees that a logger friend of mine brought me.  The logs were all 8' long and averaged about 10 - 11" in diameter.  This made the sap and heart an interesting transition which created some nice patterns to work with. 

Larry

You used the sapwood as a design element and it worked well.  I like it :).

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

yukon cornelius

should the sapwood be avoided or is it ok to work with? what moisture content do you look for. I thought maybe around 10% would make it pretty safe.

that is very nice top!!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

WDH

Sapwood in walnut has the same qualities as the dark heartwood except for the color.  This was dried in my kiln to 8%. 

Some of my customers only want boards with heartwood (I call them sapwood snobs).  Some of my more artistic customers love boards with the sapwood to heartwood contrast and all the colors that occur in the transition.  If you look at this bar top carefully, you can see these colors.  I call it rainbow walnut.  I have about 800 BF of this rainbow walnut on stickers ready for the kiln.  I plan to market it as "Rainbow Walnut". 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 08, 2014, 10:13:33 PM
  I plan to market it as "Rainbow Walnut".

Then you will find gold at the end of your Rainbow.  ;D

yukon cornelius

thanks wdh! I have a few walnut logs to be cut soon and I will have some projects inspired by this. I really like the rainbow/marbled look. plain dark walnut is everywhere!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

jamesamd

Dang,nice!
You are the Man  ;)
All wood is special 8)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

ron barnes

Very nice top.  I can't imagine the lady not liking it.  Great job.  I too love walnut.

tule peak timber

I used lots of sapwood in this

walnut floor to achieve an artistic effect. Sapwood is great !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Lud

Great looking top, Dan.  My birthday is Friday the 13th.  Hopefully none of you are triskadecaphobic. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Lud on June 09, 2014, 08:54:16 AM
Great looking top, Dan.  My birthday is Friday the 13th.  Hopefully none of you are triskadecaphobic. 8)

One of our daughters turned thirteen on Friday the 13th

Thank You Sponsors!