iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started to build my Iron worker today.

Started by Kbeitz, August 08, 2016, 03:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

Since the goal seems to be to get slower motion and higher force (not necessarily more pressure), the simplest method would be to use a large diameter cylinder.

If that isn't available but you have several cylinders of the same stroke and diameter, you could gang them together in parallel and connect the rod ends to a heavy-duty yoke.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kbeitz

Quote from: Brucer on August 11, 2016, 02:32:59 AM
Since the goal seems to be to get slower motion and higher force (not necessarily more pressure), the simplest method would be to use a large diameter cylinder.

If that isn't available but you have several cylinders of the same stroke and diameter, you could gang them together in parallel and connect the rod ends to a heavy-duty yoke.

It's already made that way...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

My main objective is for everything to move real slow.
I know this is going to be hard because the clys are small
dia. I don't think (or I'm not sure) if you can just gear
down a pump and have it working right. I don't want
to change the clys. So what other options do I have ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Moveing right along...

Off to the junkyard to find more parts...
I need to find a V-shaped wedge to fit the other half of the die in the picture.
Or I need to build one. Thats a lot of metal cutting.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

1938farmall

you probably don't need a forming punch to actually match the angle of the die.  you will likely be "air-bending" the material & therefore just contacting the corners of the die & the nose of the punch.  possibly build a punch holder as wide as the shaft with 2 functions: top to clamp onto the shaft, bottom to bolt on a nose of round stock which could be changed as required for material thickness.  general rules: die opening = 8x m.t.  and punch nose radius = 1/2 m.t. (too small causes excessive cracking).
aka oldnorskie

Brucer

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 11, 2016, 05:50:26 AM
... I don't think (or I'm not sure) if you can just gear
down a pump and have it working right.

Yes, you can. It's service life will go up when you do :). A possible downside to using this option is that the force applied by your cylinder isn't going to increase (if that's an issue).

Without changing cylinders, the only way to increase the force is to raise the pressure, which you can do by changing or adjusting the main relief valve. However, increasing the pressure reduces the service life of the pump (it varies with the cube of the pressure :o). You're also limited by the pressure rating of the pump, and the hoses, and the cylinders.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kbeitz

Quote from: Brucer on August 11, 2016, 11:17:27 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on August 11, 2016, 05:50:26 AM
... I don't think (or I'm not sure) if you can just gear
down a pump and have it working right.

Yes, you can. It's service life will go up when you do :). A possible downside to using this option is that the force applied by your cylinder isn't going to increase (if that's an issue).

Without changing cylinders, the only way to increase the force is to raise the pressure, which you can do by changing or adjusting the main relief valve. However, increasing the pressure reduces the service life of the pump (it varies with the cube of the pressure :o). You're also limited by the pressure rating of the pump, and the hoses, and the cylinders.

Thanks... I needed that info...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

sure wish i had this before I built my mill...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

First try with 100lbs of air pressure.
Worked great...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!