iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

View from your deer stand.

Started by Bogue Chitto, December 20, 2017, 10:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Correct, I got my "tails" mixed up.  :-[
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Magicman on December 28, 2018, 08:15:58 AM
Correct, I got my "tails" mixed up.  :-[

Bad when that happens!  ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mike_belben

All i saw was backstraps and hams. 

What are the oregon laws on hunting in proximity to a dwelling with a club?  
Praise The Lord

BradMarks

If it's in season and you have a tag.........

Magicman

Not "from" but in the deer stand.

Marty, Luke, and I spent the afternoon in the Strawhouse.  We saw a total of 11 deer, three of which were bucks, and Yes, the last buck was a "Smack Daddy Shooter" !!  Alas, he did not present himself long enough for Luke to get a shot because he was busy checking does and moving on.  We will be back next week so maybe.....
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Well, what about the one on the SIL porch? 

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Another town muley?  Wonder whether that was his first visit?  Came hungry and left giggling.  ;D

Southside

Technically yes "in town" but there are range cattle 50 yards to the east and 100 yards to the south, so not much of a town.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I pretty much shut down my upper stand for the season which ends Monday. I took my feeder down and brought it home with me. I need to make a metal cover to go over the plastic barrel where the squirrels and coons have torn into 2 of them this year. 

It is antlerless season and I hoped to get one more doe or antlerless buck (Lots of them have already shed around here already) for more jerky. I hunted 25, 26 & 27 but only saw one doe fawn I let go. She came to my stand 5 times between 2 & 5 pm. Yesterday was rain so I did not hunt then when I took hay to the horse and mule I rode between 3 on the rock bar near my property line. Two stood there 30 yards away while I unloaded the hay then when I got back on the ATV I saw the fawn 10 yards away. All just stood and watched. Today I rode past there and a doe and grown fawn were at my gate and stood there 20 yards away while I got off and closed the gate with my rifle on my back. I did not have the heart to shoot her. I think she is the same one that bedded down 20 yards from me last summer while I was running the sawmill. The fawn pretty much raised on that rock bar. I let another one sneak past me at 3 pm. I would have shot her but the feeder went off and spooked her. I guess I am getting too soft hearted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

You are not alone WV, I can't shoot the ones on the farm, had 6 or 8 of them bounding around me one evening while walking back from checking cows, they circled me at least four or five times, 10 maybe 15 yards away.  It would have been like shooting one of the cows in a pasture.  

On the other hand if a 'yote were to appear,  :rifle:  fudd-smiley air_plane
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

I was chasing cows off the splitter all day.  They like licking my saw when ive got my back turned too.  Slippery surprise.

Had a big pack of yotes right up to my fence last night.  Really wanted to pause a movie with the wife and go shoot a few but probably not anniversary etiquette. 
Praise The Lord

Texas Ranger

From a low fence managed tract (big) in south Polk County, managed for quality deer, meat and horn.  Aged 6 years.

Southside

That thing have some Hereford blood in it?  ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

Even deer stands are bigger in Texas!

WV Sawmiller

Yeah and I guess you are shooting at such long ranges you have to add salt to your loads so the meat doesn't spoil before you get to it. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Jeff

Yup, that looks like a deerstand alright. Just like those critters look like deer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Aren't those Texas Blacktails?
Howard Green

Texas Ranger

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 08, 2019, 05:55:45 PM
  Yeah and I guess you are shooting at such long ranges you have to add salt to your loads so the meat doesn't spoil before you get to it. :D
and a little jalapeno,

Roxie

Say when

Bogue Chitto

View of  a stand.  We call this the potty stand.  It's a good one to hunt in.  

WV Sawmiller

I got out today and started clearing the fallen tree at and off mine. Turns out the big tree that fell was about a 36" diameter Basswood that uprooted. It forks at about 6' into a 22 & 18 inch fork. It broke a buckeye that fell across my 6'X8' shooting house. I think the tops would wiggle and helped scare the deer off making it ineffective as a bow stand. I got the buckeye off the shooting house without knocking the stand over. Now I just need to cut up the tops for poor quality firewood and buck the logs and hope I can find some serious wood carvers and custom saw it for them. There is some pretty wood there. I am scared to cut that 3' diameter trunk because I am scared of that big rootball on that steep slope. 

Once complete I still need to patch a few boards that were broken by the falling buckeye. They will be well seasoned before next year's deer season.
Howard Green

Texas Ranger

Southside

His neck sure does not match those antlers.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!