iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Quick Wall Question! Paint or Not?

Started by Andy White, February 17, 2014, 08:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

I have been building my kiln as per pictures and suggestions on this site, and now something I haven't heard yet. I will be using the Pineywoods type collectors, painted flat black, dehumidifier, and vent fans in a plenum, with no vent system like the WV type kiln. All area above collectors will be flat black. Do the walls and floor need to be painted black below the collector area, or would any color work? Getting supplies lined up for this week, and need to know.   Thanks    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Bill Gaiche

The sun will only matter where it shines on the black areas. Any light color anywhere else could reflect some heat and not collect heat, but that may not matter. I used the foundation sealer from lowes to coat the whole inside of mine. I think it was just over $50.00 for 5 gal. and that was enough for mine. Its holding up good after about 3yrs. It is a water base type sealer. Kinda messy going on. Use a large brush helps to slop it on. This also helps to stop the moisture from penetrating the wood inside. bg

Bill Gaiche

Andy, this is what I used. I am sure there are many other things that would work also. It has a kinda rubber like texture after it is dry.  bg

Thank You Sponsors!