iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6x10 Longleaf pine beams for a pole barn

Started by Kerrymr, February 23, 2017, 09:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrymr

Just got my first mill to process a bunch of trees that fell on our property during a storm. Milling beams 6x10, 6x8, and 6,6 for a pole and beam barn. The logs are 75 year old longleaf pines. In the deep south with high humidity. How long should I air dry the beams before I should use them to build the barn? I have heard everything from 1 year per inch to build it green. I am using hole through metal plates to connect the timbers not mortise and tenon- not old school enough to tackle that yet.
Newbie to personal sawmilling- grew up in sawmill and pallet industry- Using Norwood Lumbermate LM29

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I would think that 30 days is plenty long, as they will dry in place as well.  The main thing is that air drying reduces the weight.  Plus air drying lets you know how much twist or other warp you might have in an individual piece.

If this is indeed longleaf, you will likely find that sawing the logs into flatsawn pieces of 4/4 or 5/4 will generate enough money so you can buy beams from other southern pine species (loblolly) and have money left over.  You might want to file a notarized letter indicating that your longleaf is from windblown trees.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!