iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered

Started by Maine logger88, April 06, 2018, 12:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckledragger

I'm sure it's a good thing the two of us aren't living near each other holmentree. I would most likely make a pest outta myself. Forgive me for placing an a where an e should be in your name in previous posts. Anyway, I'm not a vintage saw collector but I could be turned to one easy enough. That 'ol Jonsered is a very nice piece. I've got three or four 630s & a couple of 625s. Makes me want restore a Jonsered while I am able to get parts.

wild262

If you like Jonsereds, check out Spike60's saw college videos on U-tube.  He has increditable knowledge pertaining to them.  I lik'em myself. :)

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Skeans1 on April 06, 2018, 10:04:51 PM
Jonsered left out here in the 80’s and even then you didn’t really see them, it’s pretty much either husky or stihl
That's very true from my experience as well. When I hit the loggin' shows in WA & OR in the middle 70's it was Stihl & Husky....then Husky later. I didn't see my first J'reds until I moved to CO and logged there up on the Grand Mesa. Got a totally rebuilt 80, which is still running strong to this day and I've been collecting them about the last 15 yrs.
However, a lot of J'reds were sold by Tilton Equip of Portland. I heard about them, but immediately said the same thing the other fallers said, "What about parts??" That wasn't a problem in CO because there was a good dealer in Montrose. I've been stockpiling parts and saws for yrs....when I go on a job now I'll take at least four vintage saws just to cover my back. On an especially bad day once I got down to the last saw. Just bad luck, it happens. 98% of the time if I start the job with my old 80, I finish the job with the same saw......unless I need a larger saw.

Dealer network for J'reds was always spotty. Unlike Husky back then, you couldn't just start a dealership in your garage. Some parts of the country like MN, Michigan, Wisconsin, Main, Vermont, NY had rabid users and decent  dealerships. My opinion of the old J'reds is that the pro line saws will last you your lifetime and indeed they have for most owners that kept them. Only reason people bail on these olds saw is that they are completely unsupported for parts-NLA.

People can go on forever about how when Electrolux Group AB bought Jonsereds and then became Jonsered....that the Jonsered saws had a slight edge over Husky. The only difference were the handles and oil/gas tank configuration. Anything else about them running 'better' is just confabulation. The last true pro Jonsereds was the 910E.  
Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: wild262 on April 12, 2018, 11:31:14 AM
            If you like Jonsereds, check out Spike60's saw college videos on U-tube.  He has increditable knowledge pertaining to them.  I lik'em myself. :)
Totally agree. I've had a lot of fun watching their vids and listening to comments about the older J'reds.

However, I wouldn't follow them out into the woods and seek felling and bucking techniques from them. They just enjoy as a hobby.
Kevin

HolmenTree

As I mentioned earlier on in this thread,  in 1971 Wendell Walker a high ranking marketing executive at Omark's Oregon Sawchain division jumped ship and introduced Jonsereds to western U.S.
His distributorship was Scotsco Inc. Portland, Oregon.
They had the 50, 621, 80 and big bore 110 but it took until 1974 to introduce the new improved 111S.
90 came in 1976.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

stan064

I had a 70 E back in the 80s, was a fine saw,sold it and got my 064,just picked up another 70E from a friend and am using it now with my other saw.always wanted a 451E, just like the style of those saws back then!

Fishnuts2

My first experience with Jonsereds was in the late '70s when my Father in law bought a couple of 49SPs.  They were so smooth and quiet that I had to look down to check the chips coming out.  But I was used to making firewood with my 1-10 Mac.  NOT smooth, and certainly NOT quiet!

I have quite a collection of them now, as I enjoy having great performing saws that a lot of folks around here have never seen or heard of.

Grizzly

When I had my saw shop (it was a short time) I sold Jonsered. The traveler at the time was a very helpful fellow and ready to help with a customer day or anything else I needed to make saws move. He represented Josa from Quebec. I never saw or heard from a Stihl or Husky rep. That was my experience. As far as differences, my customers said that they liked the Jonsered handle for felling cause a part of it was 90° to the bar or something like that and that the plastic housing wasn't so boxlike and didn't hang up on debris like branches and such. Except for those two items they couldn't have cared what brand name they had Husquavarna or Jonsered. Parts were all interchangeable and for most the part #'s were identical. I saw very few Stihl's and the story I got from customers was that they didn't like to start below -20°F. The store 90 miles from me sold Stihl and seemed to do quite well but he did say that he sold about 3 times more Husky's than Stihl's. That's the extent of my knowledge. I shut down on the last day of 2000 and went back trucking.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

HolmenTree

Quote from: Grizzly on February 07, 2019, 12:41:35 PM
When I had my saw shop (it was a short time) I sold Jonsered. The traveler at the time was a very helpful fellow and ready to help with a customer day or anything else I needed to make saws move. He represented Josa from Quebec. That's the extent of my knowledge. I shut down on the last day of 2000 and went back trucking.
Grizzly. That was a great story, a part of your life you can be proud of.
Many years ago I had a chance to work for Josa/Jonsered.
While on vacation on the east coast I stopped in at their division in New Brunswick and had a good talk with the guy in charge. Knowing I couldn't speak French he offered me a job working Newfoundland and Labrador.

You may know a former Jonsered rep here in northern Manitoba named Greg Carswell, he owns a hunting and fishing lodge up here.  

Tawow Lodge - Northern Canada Hunting, Fishing, and Adventuring

Grizzly

Greg must have been before my time. My rep was a Ukrainian from Norquay, SK. I can't seem to pull his name out of my mind. Running that shop was a fantastic experience and customers were some of the best kind around.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

HolmenTree

Quote from: Grizzly on February 08, 2019, 11:41:59 AM
Greg must have been before my time. My rep was a Ukrainian from Norquay, SK. I can't seem to pull his name out of my mind. Running that shop was a fantastic experience and customers were some of the best kind around.
Yeah I met Jonsered rep Greg at the Prince Albert Winter Festival powersaw contest in February 1989.
Alot of saw reps from various companies showed up at the festival that year.
Husqvarna distributor Peter Holmquist owner of Pacific Equipment out of Vancouver,B.C. showed up with a first year 3120XP with full mods and tuned exhaust pipe. Peter is another Saskatchewan farm boy native.

Real1shepherd

Willard....you ever think about digitizing your Chainsaw Age collection and selling the copies? I'd pay good money for '77-'92. I think there might be lots of interested parties. Unless somebody has already done this?

Kevin

HolmenTree

Quote from: Real1shepherd on March 13, 2019, 01:00:42 PM
Willard....you ever think about digitizing your Chainsaw Age collection and selling the copies? I'd pay good money for '77-'92. I think there might be lots of interested parties. Unless somebody has already done this?

Kevin
Kevin, 
actually the former editor/production manager still has a warehouse of the magazine in archives, magazines that were never shipped to dealers or were returned to sender.
He sold off all the 1950s, 1960s and 1970's not sure about the rest. 
I'm missing all of the 1950s, half of the 1960s and the years 1980, 1981 and 1988 issues
I lost contact of the guy, maybe he is doing a digital format of them .Sure would be nice and a moneymaker for him. 

sawguy21

I worked fior a Jonsered dealer in Edmonton for a time, I liked the fact they were easy to work on. Mostly 525 and 535 models but saw the occasional 630 and 920. Interesting that Peter Holmquist who I met on a few occasions was from Kinistino, my great uncle likely cut his hair. :D My great grandfather ran the pool hall after he retired from farming
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 13, 2019, 08:25:22 PM
I worked fior a Jonsered dealer in Edmonton for a time, I liked the fact they were easy to work on. Mostly 525 and 535 models but saw the occasional 630 and 920. Interesting that Peter Holmquist who I met on a few occasions was from Kinistino, my great uncle likely cut his hair. :D My great grandfather ran the pool hall after he retired from farming
It is a small world.  It's a easy Google search to find videos of Peter Holmquist and his Vancouver, B.C. obituary from about 9 years ago.
He was born 1926 in Sweden but immigrated to Saskatchewan when a child. He was still a child when he left the Kinistino farm at 15 to go logging in Ontario then to B.C in1941.
After a serious logging accident he got into sales, first called Pioneer Pete then later Husqvarna Pete becoming one of the largest dealership and importer of Husqvarna into the PNW.
He had quite a storied life, was even once the world champion crosscut hand bucker.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 13, 2019, 03:18:45 PM

Kevin
Kevin,
actually the former editor/production manager still has a warehouse of the magazine in archives, magazines that were never shipped to dealers or were returned to sender.
I'm missing all of the 1950s, half of the 1960s and the years 1980, 1981 and 1988 issues
I lost contact of the guy, maybe he is doing a digital format of them .Sure would be nice and a moneymaker for him.
Willard,
I've got a friend who says he can get actual copies or reprints from the family that put out Chainsaw Age. I'll let you know how that goes. This all started when AS got hacked and lost all your posted scans of the March, 1991 Jonsered 2094 review.

Thanks for 'repairing' my memory too...it was Scotsco I heard about while loggin' on the west coast, not Tilton as I stated. I even saw their store in Portland back in the day. Didn't make the Jonsereds plunge myself until I was loggin' in CO in the very early 80's.
Kevin

HolmenTree

Quote from: Real1shepherd on March 14, 2019, 09:48:46 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on March 13, 2019, 03:18:45 PM

Kevin
Kevin,
Willard,
I've got a friend who says he can get actual copies or reprints from the family that put out Chainsaw Age. I'll let you know how that goes. This all started when AS got hacked and lost all your posted scans of the March, 1991 Jonsered 2094 review.

Thanks for 'repairing' my memory too...it was Scotsco I heard about while loggin' on the west coast, not Tilton as I stated. I even saw their store in Portland back in the day. Didn't make the Jonsereds plunge myself until I was loggin' in CO in the very early 80's.
Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I may have to make another call for those magazines if their still available. 

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 13, 2019, 08:25:22 PM
Roy, here's a 1982 video of Peter Uno Husqvarna Holmquist when he was 56.
Good life story when he started logging in the 1940's.
In 1973 when he was 47 years old he won the world championship single buck crosscut event at Hayward, Wisconsin.

With his ability to speak Swedish and owning a major Husqvarna dealership (distributor?) in the PNW the factory engineers listened to him about what design changes etc. were needed.

PETER' HUSQVARNA HOLMQUIST' AND FRIENDS AT 'SQUAMISH LOGGERS DAYS 25TH ANNIVERSARY' - YouTube

zimraphail

Logger RK

I inherited a 920 super. It doesn't have the chain brake band on it. Looks like the rest of it's still intact. Does anyone know if different models used the same band? I can't find much info on it. I had a 70E back in The Day. 

zimraphail

Something of interest! We are getting ready to move inside of three weeks to bayfield county wis. Going tru old fileing cabnets, I found old paperwork from about 83 and 84 when I bought my first still strong Jonshreds 450! But I also have original books and brochures for 525, 630, and a history brochure! Pretty cool stuff and pristene! I beleive 690 brochure as well! Anyway it was cool to look over in my rush to pack!

Bncyom33

Yeah unfortunately now a days they are and were red Husqvarna's. I heard red max got them. Still love my real jred though. 70e. My little cs2152 is a great runner also.
Jonsereds 70e, CS2152,Stihl MS360, Poulan 655 Bp, poulan 3700 and a 25ton splitter

sawguy21

RedMax is now owned by Husqvarna as well. They are shedding their box store lines, lots of volume but little or no profit and unfortunately J-red is taking it on the chin too. Except ffor Stihl, Echo and  Makita they pretty much control the hand held power equipment market.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!