iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shocking (literally) engine

Started by kelLOGg, December 22, 2011, 05:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

When I turn off my Kohler 16 HP Triad OHC sawmill engine I get a shock to my fingers as they hold the ignition key. Until I repair it I use insulated pliers to shut down. Only happens when I turn it off - not when starting or running. What causes it?  a bad ignition module? any advice on repair/replacement?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Kel,I've never heard of this,must be a grounding issue.When you shut the power off the field in the coil collapses and should ground to the engine.Be interesting to hear what Sparks has to say. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

zopi

Guessing the plug wires arcing to the engine and biting you...could be coil or condenser....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

kelLOGg

You got it, Bandm...

My problems started when I removed the ignition switch to get to the throttle lever to insert new friction washers in the lever handle. When I reinstalled the switch ground I inserted the ground wire between the plastic cowl and an apparently painted steel surface making a very poor ground connection. Thanks to your alert about a ground problem I re-examined what I had done and discovered my error. I re-installed the ground wire so the mounting bolt head made contact with the ground wire and a good ground was re-established to the engine block. Started the engine, shut it down and NO shock.
Thanks,
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

scsmith42

Bob, glad to hear that you solved your revolting problem....   :D

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

kelLOGg

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 22, 2011, 12:00:41 PM
Bob, glad to hear that you solved your revolting problem....   :D

Scott

Ooooh,  took me a while to get that one, Scott.  Like the baseball that gets closer and closer and then it hit me. I was definitely re-volted but no more.
Bob

PC-Urban-Sawyer

That was a well grounded solution to a shocking situation.

Herb

landscraper

So there was a positive outcome that met no resistance.

Sorry, couldn't resist - love corny puns.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

T Welsh

You have to love this forum and all its knowledge! Tim

caveman

Some of you have stumped me with your puns.  Sometimes I have to go out on a limb and some times when I meet resistance, I just sit and meditate--OHM.
Caveman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Just remember MHO conductivity in that ground circuit make a better path for the electrons that travel there...

Herb

bandmiller2

Any wierd thing electrical,first thing you check is the ground. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!