iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

300 bdft of walnut, the guy says he is building a table and wants to make sure he has enough...must be a big table...

bags

Heres some aspen from the high rockies--- its a nice change every now and then from mill'in blue stain. 

Resonator

"Quakies" is another name for Quaking Aspen. (I had to look it up,  learned something new.)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on March 12, 2018, 06:57:56 AM
Do you have a resaw attachment?  If not and if there is any warp or twist whatsoever you will have problems with thick and thin sides, corners, etc.  :-\
smiley_thumbsup
Bandmills with no down pressure attachment rollers or wheels like a true resaw to forcibly flatten wood to the bed don't work very well.  The mill will cut a straight line, but since the board isn't evenly pressed to the bed, it will have lots of thick and thins.

Been there, not pretty.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Darrel

I resawed some cottonwood once and had some success by putting weights on top the boards. Only did a half dozen pieces, would hate to do a whole whack using this method. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crusarius

Well I screwed up and posted in the wrong thread so I will try again.

My first cuts on my homemade mill.

Still needs some tweaking but very happy for my first cuts. This log came out of my firewood rack.

Ljohnsaw

That is pretty stuff.  The bark makes me think that is ash but the grain looks a little like oak - what is it?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Lawg Dawg

Hopefully will get this one soon

Here are some easy to slap together sawhorses, can be built quick out of scrap 2x4 using a framing nail gun, just square cuts. Very handy around the sawmill. The ones behind my mill are at least 5 years old...just had to add some screws to them the other day

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Darrel

I've made saw horses like that. Next time I make them, I think I'll use a 2x6 for the top of the "I beam". 
1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Crusarius, congratulations on your first cuts!
1992 LT40HD

Crusarius

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 12, 2018, 10:31:41 AM
That is pretty stuff.  The bark makes me think that is ash but the grain looks a little like oak - what is it?

Definitely red oak. the bark was nasty. this stuff has been in my firewood rack for 3 years now. it is all starting to get pretty nasty on the outside. but the inside is still very nice. I may need to debark it before putting it in the woodstove.

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, I have several sawhorses like that around my mill and they are very handy. I save any 3' long scrap 2X4 out of my slab pile to make them or stacking pallets. My horses don't have the angled side braces - just a board (can be 1X4 or 1X6 or 2X4, doesn't matter) on the sides but it does the same thing. I may try your design with the angled braces next time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

Those sawhorses are really nice.

Crusarius

Thanks Darrel. Will be exciting to see what comes out next :)

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 12, 2018, 11:49:20 AM
  Yeah, I have several sawhorses like that around my mill and they are very handy. I save any 3' long scrap 2X4 out of my slab pile to make them or stacking pallets. My horses don't have the angled side braces - just a board (can be 1X4 or 1X6 or 2X4, doesn't matter) on the sides but it does the same thing. I may try your design with the angled braces next time.
That 45degree angle brace keeps them from "racking", keeps the nails tight longer.  Thats the only angle cuts to make...everything else is just "eyeballed" assembly! :D
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Resonator

alan gage

I made saw horses of the same design. I added a 2x6 to the top as well as a 1x4 running horizontally between the legs about 1/3 of the way up. Both those additions make them much more comfortable for sitting. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Darrel

Quote from: alan gage on March 12, 2018, 02:07:44 PM
I made saw horses of the same design. I added a 2x6 to the top as well as a 1x4 running horizontally between the legs about 1/3 of the way up. Both those additions make them much more comfortable for sitting RIDING, :D

Alan
1992 LT40HD

Crossroads

Wow, I like that yellow birch!!

Sounds like I need to pass on the sycamore resaw, thanks for saving me from a headache.

I got to play around and cut some black walnut today.

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Resonator

Thanks Crossroads, that tree was freshly cut down (green), and the color was best immediately after sawing it open. It also helped I had good sunlight that day, and that I had poured a gallon of water on it. (Trick I saw in an "Out of the Woods" video.) 

Magicman

I made my road trip today which was actually 82 miles instead of 72, but what's 10 minutes?   ???  Anyway 4 Cherrybark (Red) Oak logs 8' - 12' long but all were over 20". 

Very nice and fairly clean logs.

The sawmill was barely off of the street, but it was a dead end so no traffic.

It's hard to tell in the picture how steep the setup was.  The outriggers have many boards under them and I had to use a step stool to climb into my seat.  I could not let the back outrigger down without digging a hole, it stayed up.

I sawed an assortment of 4/4, 5/4, and two 9/4 bookmatched pieces for a table.  They were a knockout.  The lumber tally was 1215 bf.

And then the customer drug out the customary ERC "logs" :o  to be squared up.   :D

I am off tomorrow and will start the Walnut/ERC job Wednesday.  ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

Love that yellow birch.  What does that stuff look like a year later once it had time to get near 12%?  I may have to go on a hunt in north east, do we get that one up here?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Crossroads

Nice work MM, I saw the step stool right off, but didn't see all the door shims until I read about them. 
I have tomorrow off and no jury duty, so I think I'll try to put the new wide debarker on. Seems like a lots of new parts to come without any directions or a drawing. I'm gonna have to finish nd 4x4's video and slow it down 4x so I can see what's is supposed to look like. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lawg Dawg

MM, what did the erc scale at?  :D

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Lotsa purdy stuff being sawn.  :)  Thanks @bags for showing the inside of a Quakie.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!