iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinion on backhoe

Started by ohiowoodchuck, October 25, 2017, 08:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a backhoe. I'm wanting one so I can put forks on it and load some of my logs plus do some ditching, stump removal etc on my place. I see the the 70's model fords say the 445 and the 455 are a few grand cheaper then the 310 Deere and the 580 case. What's is your guys thoughts on any of these models.
Education is the best defense against the media.

sawguy21

Machines that age will have a lot of hours on them and likely need expensive repairs. How much downtime are you willing to tolerate and can you do the work? Calling a service truck on a regular basis will surely break the bank.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowstorm

A 580c or newer is fine.the b and the old Deere didn't have a frame they were built more like a farm tractor. The old Deere was direct drive a converter  is better. I had a 580c yrs ago. Not a bad hoe

snowstorm

The case would be easier to get parts for than the Ford. Or an old Ford. The how controls for a case were 3 lever and foot swing. It works ok. The Ford's were 4 lever that I would not want. Deere was 2 lever

North River Energy

Can't comment on the smaller Fords, but got reasonably deep into the larger 6500/650 a few years back. Seemed well made, generally straightforward to repair, and most parts were readily available, and for the most part, were reasonably priced.

If the hoe uses a swing chain, be warned that part is rather expensive. Tried an aftermarket piece, and it pulled apart like string cheese.

Were it not for the periodic need to take it down the road, an excavator would have been a better choice.

ohiowoodchuck

Yes I can do the work, never been afraid to tear into anything.

ohiowoodchuck

I've always heard the triple nickel Ford was twice the hoe that the Deere 410 was. I'd really like a hoe before a excavator. I could do a lot of work with either, but I feel it would suit my needs better. I was going to look for a log loader for my logs, but got to thinking about my friend using his case 580 with forks on the farm and it does anything anything he needs. So that why I leaned more toward a backhoe rather then a log loader, skid steer, or anything else.

mike_belben

If youre on clay hills, a 2wd backhoe will spend most any wet periods getting stuck.   Theyre kinda not great at any one thing but pretty versatile and getting cheaper as the CTL/mini ex combo is replacing them slowly but surely.  Good lift capacity, good for roading.. Kinda clumsy with the hoe back there.. Easy to forget and ram it into stuff.
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

There are alot of decent TLB's for sale, kind of going the way of the track loader around here. The Case machines parts are pretty easy to get, the Ford's / NH don't hold their value even brand new, I ran a 655C ? Ford and it was a dog compared to our 410C or 310SE Deere hoes we had at the time. 4wd is almost a must, 2wd is always cheaper but they are so limited and your always fighting to push yourself out. Hunt around on machinerytrader, piles of lower hr machines for sale.

ScottAR

Case started the full frame machines with the 580c. Deere started with the 410c.  Ford/NH didn't change till  the 555E.  Cats are all full frame to my knowledge as they were late to the party with TLB machines.

The reason that is important in my mind is component change out.  The older machines had to be split like a farm tractor only with the heavy loader components and the big counterweight on the rear.  The full frame machines change out components like working on a pickup, Just drop whatever failed and repair/replace.  Not really trying to discourage you but give a heads up on what you're in for. 

They all break down and repairs will be required.  BargeMonkey is on target with NH.  Resale is poor.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Riwaka

Tractor backhoe loaders  - newer is usually better if you can afford to pay for the machine.
You can put rear duals tires on the tractor backhoe loaders if the rear axle is strong enough, to make the machine wider for more stability.

Are there any log crane trucks you can use in your area? to know what machines are out there that can be used so you don't have a machine/s that sits around and is only used for a few hours.

https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/20049851/1993-deere-710d   (That looks fairly mighty - 120hp JB tractor back hoe loader)
How high are the bolsters you have to lift the logs above to put them on the local log trucks?

Back in the day in flat areas of forests for thinnings, wheel excavators would drive between crews' log stacks at different locations to load. Usually loading from a raised dirt platform to give extra lift height.
https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/21959203/1988-case-1085b-cruz-air
https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/17661697/1996-cat-214b
https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/20316469/1989-deere-690d   (dozer blade, eco tracks for the wheels?

47sawdust

I bought a 550 Ford TLB 2 years ago for $4250.00.It is a 1976 model,pre-555 model.It is 2wd.I put an $800.00 set of studded chains on it and it gets around good.You have to choose your spots.Parts are still available.It has a 3 cyl. diesel that is not a powerhouse but certainly gets the job done.Mine has a cab with heat and it is a very good snow removal rig.I added a mechanical thumb that is great when I am cutting up logs for firewood. 4 stick controls that will take me sometime to get good with,but it is my first backhoe. The loader has a bigger lifting capacity than all but the biggest farm tractors.The line of sight will not be great,but you can get the hang of it.
It is not ideal in all situations but it suits my needs.Mine also has a block heater and needs to be plugged in below 20°.
I have no experience with other models but this has been a trouble free machine.

Happy shopping,I'm always trolling CL and as Barge said,machines are out there.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

sprucebunny

I've had a 1987 Case 580K 4x4 for 16 years. It's been good to me. Even with the 4x4 and hoe, I've gotten stuck a couple of times. Now, I keep chains on it year-round.I've done some interesting repairs (main hyd. line under the floor...) Great Cummins engine.
Finally bought an excavator for working in the woods as the footprints are lighter but the ex will never be as versatile.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

62oliver

I have a John Deere 310C (4x4), have had it for about 9 years, dug wells, clear snow, used it to get fire wood out of the bush before I had the skidder.
  I do like it, you can do a lot of different things with it but it is not really great at a lot of it. I don't like how light it is in the front, and as has been mentioned, that huge counter-weight in the back can get annoying. Its not my favourite piece of gear but it sure is handy.
   I have wondered how hard it is to take that back-hoe off to see what it would be like without all that weight hanging off the back, but not really looked at it yet. (Can anyone comment on that?)
  I have the regular bucket and a 2.5 yard snow bucket for it, usually the snow bucket stays on it, not too hard to change them, forks would be handy on it if you are handling wood.
It has about 7200 hrs on it I think? Some of the pins and bushings are pretty loose, but its fine for what I do, I have had no trouble with it, other than the self inflicted kind.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

snowstorm

580c the hoe was removable. one of the weak points was the ring gear pinon. i broke one but it loaded gravel every day. the case motor was pretty good. they had chrome cylinder liners. they would last forever the orings would not. in later yrs with the cummins. that was a joint venture between cummins and fiat. cause fiat owned case. now called cnh

Stoneyacrefarm

I went from a large backhoe machine ( Dynahoe 200)to an excavator.
The dynahoe was a very big machine that would lift just about anything. It would also get stuck wherever it went.
The thing was so heavy it would take almost as much time to clean up the mess you made as it did to do the project.
In my operation the excavator is so much more versatile.
I use it for cutting firewood, clearing stumps and brush, loading logs and whatever else I can use it for.
Definitely a slower moving machine but can be used in more ways.
If you can find a decent size excavator with a thumb and blade you can't really go wrong.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

larry1

I once owned a 580 ck and a 580 b  and they are like farm tractors with no frames. At least get a 580 c with a full frame . The Fords apparently have the fastest hydraulics and are good machines. Don't know anything about a JD except a guy is trying to sell me an old gas job with no cab that's worn out . Hasn't run in years , so I think I'll pass. Don't do much digging but I have a 920 Cat loader for snow etc.

maple flats

I never owned a hoe, but I do own an excavator. With that I used to lift logs for loading my sawmill using a 42" HD 2x4 box beam with a clevis on each end. From the clevis each had a set of tongs. That worked great for about 8 years but last year I had a whole bunch of logs to load onto a gooseneck trailer so I bought a mechanical thumb. Since then I'v never used the tongs again. The thumb works perfectly. I will likely make it into a hydraulic thumb but have not yet. The beauty of an excavator is that you have 2 pivots so you can align logs better, (I can off set the dipper [the section with the bucket mounted at it's end] and I can swing the cab. With those 2 movements I can perfectly align a log onto my sawmill or onto a truck, log pile or trailer)
Regardless of whether you get a back hoe or an excavator, I suggest you add a thumb if it does not come with one.
With it I can uproot brush, group and clamp slash to carry to a pile, pick logs and rocks too big to roll as long as the thumb will close on it.  My 8000# excavator with a 26" long bucket, (hinge to teeth) wears a 28" thumb well.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Coltbodi

I would have to agree with maple flats on the excavator. If all you are doing is loading logs and digging ditches the excavator is the way to go in my opinion.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

4x4American

Try loading a pack of lumber with an excavator...or bring logs around the yard.  An excavator would be nice but 75% of what I do with the backhoe is with the loader.  And I'm Cat all the way. 
Boy, back in my day..

woodmaker

I have both, excavators (44000 lb and 28000 lb) and a 4x4 backhoe (n.h. LB 75). The excavators are way better to dig with,or load trucks with,but that is all. As far as versatility ,the backhoe does everything,and can move material around site more rapidly,as well as go over the road.In ,I have always wondered how the average american family with a little acreage can live without a backhoe .
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

mike_belben

This is my case 450.. I believe its a 78 or so,  tail end of the A model.  Its got an extendahoe and the entire hoe comes off in about 15 mins leaving behind a 4 point receiver that is easy to mount other implements into.  Its heavy on the toes without the hoe and heavy on the heel with it.  Clumsy slow machine compared to bobcat or excavator but they have a few virtues.  Pretty stable on a sidehill compared to a tire backhoe or skidsteer.. decent floatation, good ground engaging force and tons of breakout power.  Itll push right into a pile of concrete  demo or frozen dirt pretty well and easily lift twice what the bucket holds.   The pin on hoe is very flexy compared to a fixed rigid mount tho.  Thats a once a while component in my opinion. 

I havent gotten it down to tennessee yet from my old house.  My plan is to fab a grapple rake on front and a skidding winch on back.  Use this to twitch hardwood stems out to the main trail, buck by hand and load onto a walking beam drawbar style bunk trailer i will fab to pull behind my d31 blade dozer.  Probably with a hydraulic dump to drop the load at the top landing.  Basically i dont want to sell my current machines or get into a skidder.  But long skids for one or two logs are terribly slow on a steel carriage.   Its only worth the wear and tear it if i can move 10 at a time.  I turned down two long pull jobs over it this year that i wish i coulda gone after.   
Praise The Lord

62oliver

Quote from: woodmaker on October 26, 2017, 09:34:13 PM
I have always wondered how the average american family with a little acreage can live without a backhoe .

Haha, that's how I feel about skid steers!
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Satamax

Ohiowoodchuck, have you ever seen a mecalac?

This could be another option.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: Satamax on October 28, 2017, 01:20:34 AM
Ohiowoodchuck, have you ever seen a mecalac?

This could be another option.
No sir I have not.

Thank You Sponsors!