iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bear sighting during logging

Started by lynde37avery, May 22, 2016, 11:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gimpy

Quote from: enigmaT120 on May 24, 2016, 05:46:59 PM
There are supposedly over 20,000 bears in Oregon.  I don't know where they hide, I've seen more mountain lions.

Live in northern Klamath County. Very rural. We have inquisitive visits by local transient bears often enough. But what we see mostly are the "none in the area" wolves. We have a local pack of them. We have mountain lions, bobcats, another cat I can't think of, deer, elk, bear, wolf, coyotes, badgers and I'm sure I missed a few more. But the only predator we are worried about are the badgers when we are out walking the property. The rest of them have been surprisingly respectful.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

gimpy

Quote from: lynde37avery on May 30, 2016, 06:03:05 PM
Omg I would be terrified getting chased on horse back. I been seeing bear poop all over this area stove I has the sighting.  I just carry my .380 and I'm not worried anymore. I'm too superstitious of a logger I guess.

I hope the 380 is for noise. It would be most useful to scare the bear away. Just don't shoot it, it'll pith'm off.
Gimpy old man

gimpy

Quote from: red on July 13, 2016, 07:32:37 AMThis bear incident Monday used conditioning shots with rubber bullets fired by local police. While some believe bears should be shot on sight it just can not be done in neighborhoods . This bear was just chased away .

Rubber bullets are a regular and proper weapon in neighborhoods. If the bear learns that it is painful to go into neighborhoods, most will stay away. However, the repeat offender needs to be culled. IMHO
Gimpy old man

starmac

A friend just came through coming back from a job up north. He had one of the windows duct taped up on his camp trailer.  He was sleeping (or trying to) when he thought one of the other crew members started messing with him, when the window broke he finally got up and looked out to see a bear trying to get in. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ppine

Gimpy,
I spent last week on the Klamath River.  Plenty of deer, otter, bald eagles, osprey, herons, and wild turkeys.  I saw no bear sign in a week which is unusual.  I have always had bears in camp in that country in the past.  Do you think the drought has affected the local bear population?
Forester

Fokke

florida

We accidentally trapped a tiny, like 3 pounds or so, cub in a coon trap.  Momma drug the trap and cub 200 yards through thick woods where we found it hard up against a stand of thick palmettos. I knew Momma was there but had to get the cub out. I ran over and pulled the rap over to where my buddy was standing then tried to open the trap. He had used baling wire to close it and I didn't think I'd ever get it off.
finally dumped the cub out and it ran off into the palmettos. Got about half way back to the truck and my knees gave out. Momma could have eaten my lunch!
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Dave Shepard

I'm going to be doing a small mast tree release on the lot next to my mill soon, and the forester saw a bear there last week. I'm not too worried. They don't seem to bother anybody. Saw a mother and three cubs cross the road this evening a couple of towns over. Moving slow, and not too worried about cars.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lynde37avery

I had one on the porch yesterday morning.  80lb or so. my little jack russell terrier dog chased him up a tree. he didn't seem scared of us. came back an hr later. I only saw a porky pine in the woods logging lately.
Detroit WHAT?

red

NJ has started a best hunt this week for bow season . It is met with the usual conflicts of hunting bears .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

kensfarm

I took a picture of this guy while he was taking a nap. 

longtime lurker

Every time I read this post I get this urge, and gotta tell myself " don't do it"

All the time! :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

longtime lurker

Main thing with drop bears is to really look at the bole of the tree on approach. They tend to be quite territorial, and mostly will have a few hunt trees in their range. Because of the claws they leave a fair bit of scarring of the bark from repeatedly climbing of the hunt tree. They're mean, but Have poor eyesight so they jump and miss a lot.

If it looks like an active hunt tree the best thing to do is just leave it, stay out from under the branches and walk on by. If the tree has to go then the best option is to shoot the bear... They're protected and it is an offense but because they mostly live in remote forest who's going to know right. Shoot, shovel and shut up.

The only other real option is try and bait them out or wait them out. Mostly it's best to wait. You hear stories every so often about guys ignoring the bear and sawing the tree, or chewed up chainsaws and bits of torn clothing found in the bush but I think thats mostly urban legend stuff.  Dropbears  will leave you alone if you leave them alone and I've never had any trouble with them.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

longtime lurker

A Dropbear is a carnivorous marsupial Thylarctos plummetus

Related to the Koala but bigger: usually 80-100 pounds when adult. A mottled yellow colour.  Teeth and claws like a Tasmanian Devil, and an attitude to match: mean, just mean.

They live in trees like koalas but eat meat, and they hunt by basically falling out of the tree straight down onto their prey as it goes under their tree - smaller kangaroo species are their mainstay but anything else is fair game. They love sheep, probably because it's the only animal dumber then they are so easy hunting.

Rather like a mountain lion they don't really want to eat humans but they're dangerous when cornered, or *pithed because you're cutting their tree down. And their eyesight isn't great so they've been known to attack humans by mistake: imagine a 100lb badger falling on your head from 40' up and... you get the picture. Death is by broken neck from the impact. Then they eat ya, dragging the carcass away into the bush so the blood smell doesn't hang around their favorite hunting tree.

The usual safeguard if walking in the bush is to  be alert and look for them, but they hate the smell of Vegemite. A dab of Vegemite behind each ear is enough to keep them away.

Leastwise, that's what we tell the tourists.... and I got such perfectly deadpan delivery too.
Took me two years to get Mary out logging with me after she got here from Texas... everyone had warned her about Dropbears and I never thought she hadn't figured out that it's up there with the Yeti and the Loch Ness Monster.

longtime lurker

AND a big thank you to Ian for the opening and Teakwood for being the fall guy. Don't feel bad mate, someone was sure to ask.

'straya... 10 out of 12 of the worlds deadliest snakes and another that will eat your a$$ whole, shark attack every month, jellyfish that small you can barely see them that'll kill ya, spiders, and a giant turkey that will disembowel you with a single kick... and we invent an animal to scare the tourists

Skidder Kev

never seen a bear logging and want to keep it that way.  If we did see one in our area it would be news worthy haha.   Did see bear sign on a job we did 2hrs north of us but no bears.   

teakwood

Thanks for that info on the dropbear, really interesting.

Quote from: longtime lurker on October 15, 2016, 06:22:38 PM
AND a big thank you to Ian for the opening and Teakwood for being the fall guy. Don't feel bad mate, someone was sure to ask.

'straya... 10 out of 12 of the worlds deadliest snakes and another that will eat your a$$ whole, shark attack every month, jellyfish that small you can barely see them that'll kill ya, spiders, and a giant turkey that will disembowel you with a single kick... and we invent an animal to scare the tourists

I know, was visiting the aussies back in 2000 for 3 month. Fraser Island, great barrier reef, the outback,.... beautifull country! not much women though! Or maybe i was just too jung
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

WV Sawmiller

LL,

Thanks for educating us on the vicious Australian Drop bears. Never heard of them before. They sound a lot like the Wampus cats and Gollywhoppers that inhabited the river swamps of the southern USA where I grew up. We never had vegemite to protect ourselves but I'd bet it would work just as well against them as against drop bears.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Riwaka

What are the other Australian nasties? Wild camel herds, herds of wild horses, packs of dingoes & wild dogs, mouse plagues, locusts, spiders, crocodiles (salt and fresh water), big river fish - the river monster guy caught, etc
There are some nasty plants too e.g gympie-gympie. 'Forestry workers drinking themselves silly to escape the pain of the sting'
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/science-environment/2009/06/gympie-gympie-once-stung,-never-forgotten/

coxy

how come mick dunde never said anything about these pests  :D

Ianab

Quote from: coxy on October 18, 2016, 07:41:42 PM
how come mick dunde never said anything about these pests  :D

But now you know why he carries a real knife...  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

longtime lurker

Quote from: Riwaka on October 18, 2016, 04:00:31 PM
What are the other Australian nasties? Wild camel herds, herds of wild horses, packs of dingoes & wild dogs, mouse plagues, locusts, spiders, crocodiles (salt and fresh water), big river fish - the river monster guy caught, etc
There are some nasty plants too e.g gympie-gympie. 'Forestry workers drinking themselves silly to escape the pain of the sting'
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/science-environment/2009/06/gympie-gympie-once-stung,-never-forgotten/

Yah, that's us...if you go fishing there's sharks but mostly ( in season) you worry about jellyfish. Or rays if you're Steve Irwin.Or stonefish.
If you go swimming you swim where the water is cold or you can see ALL the bottom. Freshwater crocs are harmless but the salties.... you just don't get in dark warm water, and you watch the bank behind you when you're fishing down the river.
If the water is clear you don't stand in patches of leaves because of bullrout- afreshwater stonefish.

In grassy timberlands this is Taipan season. Most leathal snake in the world. It's breeding season and unlike most snakes that get out the way they are territorial and aggressive and get in their space and they come hunting you. I've had one striking atthe top of the skidder types as I drove past, 'cause know it could. We also get King Browns and a sleepy little fella named the Death Adder, all among the most dangerous in the world.

In the rainforest there's cassowaries, and a pin head sized tick, and the stinging tree. Tick is accumulative, my last tick put me in hospital with anaphylactic shock and I got to carry an epi pen now. Stinging tree is worse then you can possibly imagine but at least being plant it won't chase you through the bushes. Occupational hazards and all that, I've had a lot of small stings over the years around the hands and forearms from leaves on the forest floor when hooking up chokes, and a bad one when I got a lung full of dust pushing a track open with an open cab dozer. Never had a real bad sting but I've seen big hard men screaming in agony from it. They got a " cure" now:  they bathe the stung area in a 10% solution of hydrochloric acid to burn the plant hairs out from under your skin. That being considered a cure tells you everything you'd ever need to know about just how bad it hurts.

Tropical North Queensland... beautiful one day, perfect the next. :D

ppine

I live in Nevada.  We have bears in the neighborhood for the first time.  It is the Sagebrush Ocean but I can see forests from the house.  The recent fires and drought have driven the wildlife into people's yards.  We have bears in business parks and in the alfalfa fields. 
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!