iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glad You are Leaving

Started by Magicman, June 26, 2012, 11:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Robinson

We had 3 daughters and one son. The girls were about a year and a half apart in age and during the years they were all teenagers they attracted boys like jelly attracts flies. Got to the point that you had to be careful about tripping over them and there was usually a lot of showing off etc. (I spent a lot of time cleaning my guns :)).
I have always been pretty much of an ox and just wrestled anything around myself. Growing up on a farm will do that. One day I was loading some smallish walnut logs on a trailer by myself and one of the "boys" about 17 or 18 came running out and said that I shouldn't be loading those by myself and that he would help me. I went to one end and he the other. Maybe it was not polite of me to laugh that loud but that young ball player couldn't even get his end of the log up off of the ground...   :D :D

You couldn't pay me enough to go back through those 3 teenage daughters with boyfriends years again...  ::)

Today at 70 I have all kinds of hand trucks, carts, dollies, trailers. Work smarter, not harder.  :)

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Kansas on June 26, 2012, 11:49:11 AM
I always thought that far more mills were bought, and people discovered they were hard work, than ever got sold for serious use.

Should see all the 1 -20 acre Christmas tree farms that were let go by the next year. I've seen lots of hobby mills around here, but maybe one now and again makes a job out of it. Never see one advertising services. I know lots just sitting in barns or in tall weeds and might get used once a year or never. Nice for folks to spend money that way I guess, the mill manufacturers benefit. It seems some people have too much and don't know where to throw their money on the ground. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tree Feller

The summer I was 19, I worked at a sawmill. One of the jobs they had me doing was tailing boards on what they called the "outside resaw." It was a vertical bandsaw with a blade about 10" wide. The operator ran cants back and forth through the blade while me and a Pakistani took the boards off the conveyor, stacked and banded them for the fork truck.

It was the second-hardest job I ever had, right behind pulling and loading watermelons. About mid-August the mill laid off all the summer help. I was only too glad for the idle time before going back to college.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

When i go to Jake's and he cranks up the LT70 and starts whipping out 12" wide 2" thick 10' long pecan planks, I am glad when I leave  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Actually the joy of portable sawmilling is that you do get to leave.  Your next job will be for a different customer, in a different location, and sawing a completely different cut list.  A change of scenery is good.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

MM,

You just saw em and leave em.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Logs ain't female so it's OK.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Misfit

Quote from: Magicman on June 27, 2012, 10:39:53 PM
Actually the joy of portable sawmilling is that you do get to leave.  Your next job will be for a different customer, in a different location, and sawing a completely different cut list.  A change of scenery is good.

That's one of the main attractions for me wanting to get into mobile milling - meeting new people all the time, helping them meet a goal or realize a dream. Beats the @#%$! out of dealing with office politics!  ::)
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Magicman

I left "office politics" in 1994.  The company wanted me to contract back doing the same job that I was downsized from  ::) ???.  As my late Dad would have said; "that don't even make pretty good sense".

I love having a finished job and leaving a product that I am proud of.

Taylortractornut

I used to get tickled and still do at   folks that  over work them selves.      I worked in the shop here as a kid and often didnt get along with dad long enough to do something with help.   I just figured ways to do it easy and by one person.      In school I used to turn down the ball coaches for football because I didnt  like it and I thought it was silly running ones self to death   pushing tackle rigs.           One of my first big construction jobs out on my own I got to work with some college ball players that were hired on as laborers .       THey would reach and grab some thing and wrestle with it.      I made sure I had bars and levers and hand trucks and  also   every kind of lift  available. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

customsawyer

Danny if I remember right it wasn't to bad on you when we had them to Horne men over. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

You can fool almost anyone once.   ;D

WDH

I have to saw that Sawen preacher and his Dad were the best off bearers that I have seen  ;D.

Cedarman

Handling the small hay bales will teach you early to be very efficient with your moves. This was my summer job for a good many years.  I worked with a custom baler who baled hay steady for about 6 weeks each year. We loaded the hay from the baler onto a wagon behind the baler.  We each took turns loading the wagons while the other drove the tractor.  116 bales in about 35 minutes.  When it is in the high 90's you learn quick how to pitch a bale with minimum effort and put it into its right spot and then not have to touch it. I never wanted a second person on the wagon as they got in the way.
The same techniques work with lumber.
Plan ahead, put the board where it needs to go first time and then don't touch it again.
I watch people spin boards like MM says and they just never get the mental picture of how to be effiecient.
The laziest people figure the most efficient way and get the most work done.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!