iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw blade

Started by Bertwood, September 09, 2014, 09:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bertwood

Where can I purchase a .035 x 1 1/4 x 132, 10 tooth count bandsaw blade to mill reclaimed barn beams?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Bertwood on September 09, 2014, 09:05:44 PM
Where can I purchase a .035 x 1 1/4 x 132, 10 tooth count bandsaw blade to mill reclaimed barn beams?

Check out our Sponsors to the left. The ones that sell blades, give them a call.

Welcome to the FF.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Bertwood.  I would check with the FF sponsors listed in the banner on the left.  Several of them supply custom sized blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kcwoodbutcher

That may be a hard order to fill. The .035 blade usually isn't available in that width. .041 or .042 is. That blade sounds like one which would be used in a vertical bandsaw. Your tooth count is also high for resawing beams, I would think a 3/4" pitch would work better. A little more info would help. What size beams and what type of wood.  Oh, and welcome to the forum.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Bertwood

Thanks. I'll check out the sponsors....it is for milling chestnut beams about 8 inches in width, 6 inches thickness, and 12 feet length....

thecfarm

Bertwood,Welcome to the forum. I sure don't know,but do want to know,whatcha got for a mill and whatcha you're building?  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NMFP

Can you go to .042" thickness?  I might actually have a few of them in my shop as I had ordered some bands for a gentleman, he used some of them and then passed away and I have what is left.

How many are you looking for?

dboyt

Welcome to the forum!  How are those beams for hardware?  If they have nails, you might consider a cobaltized blade.  Sounds like an interesting project.  I'd love to mill some old chestnut beams.  When you say 10 tooth count, do you mean 10 teeth per inch?  As hard as the wood is, a 4°, 3/4" pitch should be a good bet.  Looking forward to photos!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Bertwood

Great feedback!

It is my friends bandsaw....an Oscar 228...although I de-nail the beams, I'm concerned there may be a stray nail embedded in them. Therefore, my buddy recommended the .035 x 1 1/4 x 132, with a 10 tpi....

I will run these options by him to determine what is the best fit for his saw...

NMFP

Bertwood:

I would not recommend going that thin on a band for resawing, especially since you are sawing dry wood.  The deflection is going to be an issue, especially as the band warms up and looses tension.

As for the tpi, that's like using a hand saw and with the speed of the band, will cause a lot of heat rather quickly.  The other issue is that you will not have the gullet capacity to pull the dust out of the cut, therefore causing heat and loss of tension and poor quality lumber.

beenthere

Bertwood
QuoteTherefore, my buddy recommended the .035 x 1 1/4 x 132, with a 10 tpi....

Then your buddy should already know that you can cut with that band, and that it is available and where to buy one.
I don't think that band, if you can get one, will work well cutting your beams.
Go with regular bands and plan on using more than one, as the stray nail will likely be there... especially if you just have one. ;)
And, what NMFP says...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

purple otter

I am the buddy that will be sawing for Bertwood. I use Woodmizer double hard with 10 degrees ,not 10 tpi. I think Bertwood is looking for a blade that will stand up to multiple nails,if there is such a thing. I have sawn mostly logs and the woodmizer blades work great for that. The chestnut beams that we sawed last year turned out beautiful with the same blades. Chestnut isn't that hard and it's beautiful wood! The beams that Bert just got have some wrought iron nails so hitting Iron is probable. Would a carbide blade or cobalt or something else zip through wrought nail without missing a beat? We are just looking for feedback from someone with experience in sawing reclaimed lumber. Thanks for the help.
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

beenthere

Seems what works for cutting wood, does not work for cutting metal... and visa-versa.

If a band will cut metal, it will be very slow at cutting wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

That is the same size blade I use and they don't hold up well to metal. I bought a metal detector to find and pull the nails first.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bertwood

goose63

WOW let me tell ya that is a table
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

I was looking at your pictures thinking,yup that looks nice,than the table. OMG was my words,out loud!!!!  You are a table maker. And than some.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That is very nice craftsmanship. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RM Farm

Welcome to the forum Bertwood. :) That is one awesome table!
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

FarmingSawyer

Try a cobalt blade. It took 60 nails from 8d--40d and a lag bolt in 3 wide logs before it wouldn't cut straight any more. All the hardware was too deep in to detect easily and the owner wanted the wide plank flooring, so the extra cost wasn't an issue. The bands cost almost 3x a normal blade, but for hard, dried wood or logs with hardware disease I believe they are the way to go. I have 2 now I keep in reserve for these situations.

I don't know how the band would do about cut nails....the older ones are fortunately brittle and not hardened. They're a different creature to wire nails.

Not sure who else makes them, but I got mine from Suffolk Machinery, aka Timberwolf.....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

purple otter

Great job on the table Brett ! That chestnut really finishes beautifully!
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Thank You Sponsors!