iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Woodworking Shop

Started by Planman1954, November 27, 2016, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

About 10 years ago I moved to Marion Louisiana, and begin building a house. I designed a woodworking shop about 20' x 40' which ended up not being finished. After the area was framed up, it ended up being used as storage. I finally got around a couple of months ago to finish off the framed up work area. My nephew helped me move the HEAVY machinery into the area, after being in storage all these years. It's a happy day!

After organizing the tools where they need to be, The first project will be reproduction of two Hammond organ cabinets. I've been a musician all my life, and owned a Hammond B3 since the age of 15. It's HEAVY, and the guys do NOT want to lift the thing when we play. I've got the bright idea of making the thing lighter by having the base legs collapse into a flight case, and the main body lift into a separate one. The main body will also have a digital preamp, which replaces the heavier tube preamp. Also the case will be build out of cypress, which will be lighter than the hardwood plywood on the originals. Here is a photo of how the finished product SHOULD look:

I'll try to update progress on the project to know if it is a flop, or not!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Den Socling

Boy! Look at all of that space.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

Congratulations, that looks like a great shop.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

pineywoods

If you like Planman's shop, you oughta see the house and all the handmade furniture..Makes my efforts look crude (not rustic)  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Czech_Made

lowpolyjoe

Bill Gaiche

Looks good. Get the wood stove ready for some long winter days having fun with wood. bg

barbender

When I look at your woodshop, I could really give that "like" button a workout, Planman!
Too many irons in the fire

fishpharmer

Great looking shop!  I am almost envious. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Planman1954

Thanks for all the nice words! BTW, I have a through wall heat pump from Home Depot in the wall to the right in the middle of the room. The room is totally insulated. I've already found that it takes about 10 minutes for it to cool down OR heat up to happy, happy, happy! I'll update when I have a project done. 8)

clintnelms

Wow! Looks great! Gives me a perspective on how much room I should have in my new shop I'm building. Mine will be 30x30 so almost the same size.

cbla

Just Me

What an inspiring space! I'm jealous!

I have helped my friend move his B3, I know exactly what you mean....

Peter Drouin

Nice, But It won't take long to fill it up with [stuff]. :laugh: :laugh: ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Woodey

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Planman1954

After lots and lots of organizing a lifetime of tools, screws, nails, etc., I finally began my Hammond organ reproduction project:

This is the first time I've used my lathe in probably 15 years. It still works! I'll post some more pictures as I go along. I'm trying to build a cabinet which can be more portable than the original made by Hammond, and yet be as close in appearance as the original Hammond B3 organ when set up.

LeeB

Pretty good looking leg for not having turned one in 15 years.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Weekend_Sawyer

That is a great looking shop!

Please tell me about your walls. Is it tongue and groove? What type of wood?

Thanks
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Planman1954

Jon: Yes, the walls are 1x8 tongue and groove pine which I bought locally. My time is limited, and so I could not mill the lumber for the walls. I used 3/8" plywood in the ceiling and the floor. The floor had an existing 3/4" subfloor, and so I put down felt before applying the plywood on top so there would be a vapor barrier. I insulated the walls and ceiling before applying the plywood and T&G.

Planman1954

A little more progress on the organ project. I got the base assembled today:

Here's a picture of the side blanks of the main cabinet....thanks to Pineywoods for the use of his 18" wide planer:

More pictures as I get more done!

Planman1954

Made a little more progress today after RUINING one of my pieces Pineywoods helped me plane yesterday ;D Anyway, I'm plowing ahead. Here's a few more photos of the organ cabinet build. First, a photo of one of the sides showing the dowel holes. My old Stanley doweling jig is on the table to the right:

And here's the side glued up:

And finally, here's. A picture of the bottom glued up:

I have an original Hammond organ that I'm measuring in order to reproduce this cabinet. I think I'm within about 1/16" of the original! 8)

Busy Beaver Lumber

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

woodweasel

mrtwister

That looks like a very nice project shaping up.....do you have "before" pics of your B3?.....I'm assuming you also lug around a Leslie or two to go with the B3?....no wonder the boys complain!!...LOL....any bass pedals?..what do you play....blues....jazz....rock?...all of the above?....I used to own a Hammond X5 which is 44/44 portable unit....solid state however, without the warmth and percussion of the B3 (tonewheels)  (and the weight)..... and Leslie 147.....still heavy though....can't imagine carrying the B3 beast in and out of gigs.....please keep the pics 'a comin'!!...your shop looks great!!..I'm a woodworker also, in the process of building a 20 X 44 shop...wasn't sure if that would be big enough but now that I see yours.....it looks pretty roomy!!....keep it up and thanks for posting!!....twister
Norwood ML 26 Mill, Log Arch, Kioti DS4510HS Tractor with Grapple, Chainsaws: Dolmar 510, Husqvarna t435 arborist chainsaw, T-Rex walking beam trailer, CF Moto U-Force 500 UTV.

Thank You Sponsors!