iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What a day!

Started by Jeff, March 15, 2011, 07:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The last time I went ice fishing was with Chet in March of 2005. For one reason or another, mostly physical, and a growing intolerance to cold, Ive not been since. Until today. My neighbor Joe called me Sunday and asked what I was doing Tuesday. I said, sitting around moping waiting to get cut open next week. He said Good! Lets go fishing!   :D   It's supposed to be warm (It was near 50 today) and nice out. (IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!)

So that's what we did. We went to Rollway lake where we met up with Tom, another friend of Joe's.   I gotta say, this is the most enjoyable winter's day I have spent in years and years. Good company, I'm feeling better than I have in years, and we actually caught some fish!  At the end of the day Joe caught 4. Tom caught 4 and I caught 26!! We caught all the fish on diddle poles, although we did have a couple tip-ups set out.

Tom lives on the lake, and just had a mess of fish, so Joe and I split them up. I came home and cleaned fish and had myself an all I could eat Bluegill dinner! AWESOME!

I tried and tried to get a fish being caught on camera and eventually did. I took a few video clips that some may find interesting if you have never went ice fishing. You can't go on a better day than we did today. :)   Joe took the camera on one of the video's, so there is a first sighting of the shrinking me in it.  ;) :)

Some photo's then videos. That's Joe in the photos.  :) I'm really having a hard time wiping the smile off my face. Really, its been a long time since I had a day like today. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScRgQQ61B1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poYyuKFaqgw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kspteLZFa8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAjbBSk6Egg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YOLSvDBrfE
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mad murdock

What a nice mess of pan fish 8) 8)Good looking eats in the skillet there too!!  I haven't ice fished since 1996.  There are some things you can't do without snow and winter.  Best wishes to you Jeff on your operation. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

northwoods1

Jeff that puts a smile on my face too, because that is what life is about as far as I am concerned :)

That pan of bluegills makes my mouth water :D the last 3 nights I have been eating walleye that were from last spring. Huge bowl of homemade potato salad, and one of coleslaw too, some shore lunch and walleye fillets... heaven :D

I am just waiting for ice out and I will be able to fill the freezer up with bluegill fillets from the lake I walk to 1/2 mile or so behind my house. Time spent back there is the best medicine for me there is...

ellmoe

Looks like a fine time was had by all! 8)  Good luck with the surgery.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

laffs

thats a nice day of fishing there. i should have went today it was great here too. il have to get my shack off the ice this week
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Texas Ranger

What's all that DanG white stuff? 'sposed to catch bluegill with a cane pole, in green water, off a green bank.  Maybe a catfish, now and again.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Jeff, if Tuesday, and Monday for that matter, was like it was here it sure would be a good day to ice fish or whatever, even to go for a walk.  Looks like some good eating.  One of those days to remember, fishing with some good neighbors.  :)

Good thing you had that big FF coat on or we wouldn't recognize ya. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Now that looks like fun!

I see a lone crappie made it in there with that nice mess of bluegills. Did you fillet them all up?

Jeff

Yup all filleted up. I had cold fish for breakfast too!  ;)   We got minnows, but they were all bigger than I like for crappies. There was one itty-bitty one in there and I put it on first, and that caught the crappie. Any of the other minnows just sat down there.  Wax worms for the gills on pink and cream colored glow in the dark jigs.

clww

We don't get much ice fishing in around here. :-[
Those fried fish sure did smell good, though!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Raider Bill

You are looking pretty dang slim there Jeff! 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

Thanks for the fishing trip Jeff, I knew what I was missing just didn't make it out this winter.  Good luck on the shoulder and hope it's a fast recovery.

thecfarm

Never saw the diddle poles being used.We always used the tip ups.We just called them traps,maybe a slang word in this area.We would set up as many as we could,maybe 6 per person,can't remember now.I haven't been for 30 years I bet.I don't have a fishing license now anyways.I remember one year one of my brothers and his wife bought some ice skates with them and they skated over the whole pond.Not much snow that year and the ice made for some nice skating.But not for drilling holes.The auger would catch and you would go a round with it.Took 2-3 other people to hold the one doing the drilling.
Good luck with you surgery,Jeff.Hope that will be the last one and will make you feel better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I think that I would like the eating them part best.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Yippy! I was asked if I want to go back one more time for last ice fishing in the morning. I hope lighting strikes twice.  8)

doctorb

I just hope the ice is still thick!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

It should be.  We'll check it first.  Its only 23 feet deep there. :D

Texas Ranger

Less see, 23 less 6, yep, I would check real good.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

I'll be careful. I'm not near as buoyant as I was earlier in the year.

beenthere

Picked two out of the ice in Madison earlier this week. Added two more firemen to the water when they went out after them. Was a bit dicey for awhile there. Old ice is so different from new.

But as long as you have those floating devices, should be no problem.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

That Fishman cooked some nice catfish Friday evening at last year's Pig Roast.  I hear walleye are very tasty :)  :)  :)  ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

This is where I'll be. It's also an old Logging camp site with one of the old railroad grades ending at the high bank, or "rollway".  The owner says with a metal detector you can find scads of tie spikes.

Thank You Sponsors!