iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How cold is too cold?

Started by Nvfd3052, January 21, 2013, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nvfd3052

Well I got some nice sycamores I plan on making b&b siding out of, but with a temp of 10 and a wind chill of -13... It didn't happen  :) . Got the mill out and ready, went to start the jd4430 to bring up some logs, but she wanted no part of it. By that time my toes were allready cold so I just packed it all back up. It is supposed to be even colder tomorrow, I may have to wait a few days.
Woodmizer LT35HDD18 diesel
Stihl ms290
Deere 260 skid loader
01 Chevy 2500hd duramax
And a wife that loves me!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can take the cold.....pretty much...... but not the cold with a strong wind. I hate being cold.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dgdrls

Not so much the temp as the wind chill,  Also, when the machinery says,  "Eh No"   It's not worth it.
North country office went through a brutal couple of cold day last winter.  One truck left outside sheared
an oil pump drive when trying to start it, which it did start and promptly had zero oil pressure :o
I believe it had Dino oil not synthetic.

DGDrls

WH_Conley

Weather guesser is calling for wind chill to be zero or below for the next couple of days. I think I will keep putting wood in the stove and maybe work on my taxes a bit. That's way too cold for a boy raised this far south.
Bill

red oaks lumber

our high temp for the day was minus 7 wind chill put it down to minus 30-40 . i had to put a coat on today.normaly i wear a sweatshirt.both tractors started, skidsteer was purring,life isnt as miseable when you deal with it more regular than other parts of the county.
right now its minus 17 :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Axe Handle Hound

Minus 20 here with the windchill and I just came in from replacing a battery in my diesel truck.  Guess that's what I deserve for being cheap and trying to limp a weak battery through the winter. 

thecfarm

I don't have to be outside unless I want to. About 15 is my cut off. I have a certain amount of clothes I put on. If I start to feel kinda cold,I head for the house.I know some of you have to be out in it and do it quite well.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Just go out and work hard and you will be ok, I did that the outher day and had to take off my coat, and it;s was nice at +5 with the wind :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I can stand it if it's 20° on the hot side of zero, but if the wind is howling, even 40° is questionable.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I cut wood and just play around some. Probably if I stayed cutting wood steady I would stay warm. Than I get on the tractor and do nothing,but get cold.  ;D Not cutting wood for money,so no big hurry to get the wood out. I just do it to improve my land. I cut some,walk around some,drive the tractor,walk around some. I am living my dream.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

We all should be living our dream, life is to short not to be happy  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

red oaks lumber

peter
this morning its minus 26 i'm looking through all my clothes, i cant find happy pants to keep me warm ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ladylake

It's only -24 here right now, going to be cold all week.  I only start the mill at 0 or above.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rooster 58

Looking forward to my dream of starting my mill, once the land is found. Today is only going to reach 6*, so Iiiiiiiiiiii think I'll find something to do indoors today

bandmiller2

You work in the bitter cold if you must,if you have the option you wait for better conditions,you and your machinery take a brake. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 22, 2013, 08:09:13 AM
You work in the bitter cold if you must,if you have the option you wait for better conditions,you and your machinery take a brake. Frank C.

Tell 'em Frank.  smiley_thumbsup

ahlkey

With temperatures in this morning at -17 so what better time to catch up on some repairs indoors.  The low temperature is really not the worse thing as the wind chill is around -40 degrees.

My son is in Fairbanks and while December was record cold for them with days over - 50 degrees January has been warmer than Wisconsin most of the time.

kensfarm

I voted for the indoor chores too..  I went out towards the afternoon thinking it looked pretty sunny out.  I tied the cover down on the mill the wind had blown off..  w/ no shed & wind gust over 25..  I went back inside. 

Peter Drouin

Quote from: red oaks lumber on January 22, 2013, 06:43:00 AM
peter
this morning its minus 26 i'm looking through all my clothes, i cant find happy pants to keep me warm ;D

good one :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Nomad

Must be what you're acclimated to.  This morning it was 28f where my mill is set up; not cold at all.  Nice morning, really.  Took half an hour to get the hydraulics warm enough to work.  I got a problem with that.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

28 would make me happy for sawing. I will have to wait a while for that.

Slab Slicer

Don't mind the cold as long as I'm working enough. Used to work for a tree service that ran year round. The wind is the worst thing. My face looked sunburned some days from a good windburn. I was out today working on the set works on the LT15. It was around +20 F, with 20 MPH winds. The only thing that was cold were my hands. Had to take the gloves off to handle the bolts, and wrenches. If I were milling, it would have been much better.  :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Cedarman

A lot of our cedar is in tree length.  I lay it out and mark with paint.
Paint can would be cold and paint not wanting to spray.
Now I get the can good and warm and put a huggie on it.  Works great at 20F today.     Got about 2000' marked.
Hope I don't have to try it below about 15F
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

How cold is to cold?

TOMORROW!

Ice storm coming. >:(

drobertson

I feel like below 20 is too cold, mostly because of the wind, on calm days 20 is doable, just cold when the gloves get wet.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Tronvik

We don't get too cold in Charleston, rain can be a deal breaker though.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

Peter Drouin

Well it was 0 this moring and I had to get the wood cut so the guy can come get it friday. thats when he wants it, all frozer red oak, not fun but im trying to make a liven, but the woodmizer ran good , so not to bad friday I have to cut some 6x6x8' out of w oak

when you work for your self you can;t tell the customer I don;t have your wood because ti's to cold, besides I told the customers when the wood will be ready. and I allways do what I say im going to do and when,
I can use all the customers I can get ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

francismilker

I'm a southern bred eskimo!  I like it when gets cold. (+20 and below) The zero mark is what I consider "cold".  My equipment doesn't like it to get below about +25 and things get complicated when I need to put roundbales out to the cows and I forgot to plug the tractor in the night before.

I DON'T start cold equipment if I can help it.  It's just too hard on cold steel to be under force imho.  Even my cars, atvs, and portable welder are preheated before starting in the cold weather.  Dipstick oil heaters are lots cheaper than rod and main bearings.

I have a limit on the amount of clothing I can wear and be comfortable while I work.  I don't mind wearing long underwear or insulated coveralls, but when I get enough layers to feel like the staypuff marshmellow man I stay inside for the day and catch up on Bible study or paperwork for my Boy Scout troop.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

scully

It has ben 0 to 15 here all week wind snow just misserable ! I had to mill a beam for a job I am doing ,I got it done but the ol mill sure didn't like it ! Debarker froze ,hydrolics were moody ,dulled a new band etc. But worth the small victory !
I bleed orange  .

mmartone

I really dont like it if its below 70, I can stand it colder if the suns out...
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Chuck White

Ideal temp for me is between 40 & 85°

Much colder than 40, just depends on how much wind and hotter than 85 depends on the sun.

Either one gets to far out of hand and I'm done for the day.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Slab Slicer

Did some milling today for a fella down the road. Some good sized beams. Temps were in the 20's, so not too bad. When you're running a manual mill, you keep a bit warmer.  :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Goodndusty

I am living in the wrong area because I don't like the cold.  I tend not to work, unless I have to, when the temp is below O.  Like the guys are saying, "The wind is the big thing!".  I have the band mill and planer inside an unheated shed so the wind is less of a factor.  I find that it is no use fighting the elements.  It is hard on everything including the body.  Of course it is a different matter if I have made a promise to a customer.  I try not to make too many promises and in winter I make sure I add, "If the weather co-operates!".   ;D
Goodndusty

Timberwolf 24' 2" band mill, logosol planer/molder, 3 sided planer/sizer, Oliver 1850 front end loader, Barko 60, H3 crawler w/1066 loader with wood clam, home built dryer, Dino semi auto setter, cat claw sharpener, Timberjack 230D.

SwampDonkey

As to the question in the thread, I wouldn't know. Never experienced it yet. :D ;D Might be a different answer in the south. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rooster 58

It can be nice out if it's sunny and the wind is down, even at 15-20 degrees. But if it gets over 75, that,s another matter. I don't care for humidity, probably why I havn't gone to Va. to live ;D

Thank You Sponsors!