iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Fair Trade?

Started by Magicman, January 28, 2013, 09:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

If the trader and the tradee are both happy, then I would say that it was a good trade.   ;D

A few months ago, I was given seven very nice 8' SYP logs that came from one tree.  The butt end was 24" and the smallest end was 18".  A couple of the logs had no taper and none had more than 2".

When I am given logs such as these and have no immediate lumber need for myself, I just pass them on to a customer who pays me for the sawing and everyone is happy.

So it went with these seven logs.  I loaded and hauled them to my customer.

Here my customer is seen inspecting two stacks of 2X4's and another stack of 2X6's on the left.  The last of the seven logs is on the sawmill.

I bring that cant down and will saw ¾X8" for board on board wall paneling.

The entire log was knot free.  The inscription on my helper's shirt says;  "I Suffer from Cruel and Unusual Employment".  "AC" is one of the best helpers that I regularly work with.

The seventh log is sawn into ¾X6" & 8" and stacked, so what did I trade for??

I got a trailer load of gravel.   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

LYNN, YOU ARE BLESSED! NOTHING ELSE TO SAY ABOUT THIS!  REAL HAPPY FOR YOU BROTHER!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Those certainly looked better than his logs did  :).  Maybe someone will give you a whack of cherry logs when you are on your next road trip to custom saw in Middle Georgia, near Perry in fact  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NWP

It looks like the real work starts when you unload the gravel. It doesn't look like that trailer dumps.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Magicman

Actually that was a nice framing lumber job which totaled 5861 bf.  The 1" lumber is on the far left side in the background and is difficult to see.

Here, I am packed up and ready to leave.  I'll be sawing a small framing lumber and ERC job tomorrow for a repeat customer.

NWP,  Right about unloading the gravel.  I unloaded it with a shovel Friday, and my right hand complained all day Saturday.  Ole folks ain't 'posed to do stuff like that.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Look at ALL that lumber   say_what

You can sure make a mess.  :D

Good score Magic.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Sounds like a deal, Lynn.  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Holmes

At first glance I thought you were getting a trailer load of sawdust. :) Whew
Think like a farmer.

Brucer

There is no universal standard for "fair". Fairness is always negotiated between two parties. So I'd certainly say that was a fair trade. :)
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

captain_crunch

Good People Get their reward 8) 8) Glad it worked out for you My Friend
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

hackberry jake

You would think that a man that owns a sawmill would have side boards for his trailer  ;D and why didn't fat Albert unload it?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

fat olde elf

There is something magic about that Magicman !
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

red oaks lumber

sure don't see many stickers in that lumber :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jemclimber

Nice pictures, that probably makes a very loyal customer. It's great when both people think that they got the best end of the deal.
lt15

slider

Looks to me like you got a load of georgia red clay.You sure you were not duped MM.
al glenn

AdamT

Another job well done! How many logs total on this job?
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Magicman

Quote from: red oaks lumber on January 29, 2013, 05:57:58 AMsure don't see many stickers in that lumber :) 
All of the lumber will be forklifted to his lumber shed and restacked.  This many times repeat customer is a homebuilder and keeps a continuous supply of framing lumber.

Quote from: AdamT on January 29, 2013, 07:01:42 AMAnother job well done! How many logs total on this job? 
I really do not know, but probably between 30-40 logs, some of which were really bad, and some really good.  Here are a couple of pictures.

Bucking and staging.  Unbucked logs in the background.

More unbucked logs in the background.  The customer is moving a section of pipe.   ;D

I am off to another repeat customer this morning.  He is a dairy farmer, and I ain't trading for fertilizer.   :)

red oaks lumber

why do people like to handle lumber more than nessesary? if there is a forklift on site sticker it once and be done with it! :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

AdamT

Hahaha!  I thought to myself "something's not adding up right here, or I need to figure board footage differently!"  I thought there was the original 7 logs you had to trade, plus the 7 logs mentioned in picture number 2 for a total of 14 logs, and a bunch of lumber.     

Your next series of photos shows the other logs missing from the equation! Lol.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

petefrom bearswamp

Lynn
where can I get one of those tee shirts for my tail man?
He is a good worker and reliable as He comes on short notice.
I only saw 2 or 3 days a week and in warm weather.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

francismilker

Seeing this topic makes me want to live in a lumber area.  All my milling is with the intention of crafters.  I'd love to have the ability to saw for actual home builders.  Around here, if you want 2x4's for building a house you go to the lumber yard.

Good trade MM!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

justallan1

I see it that if i pass on a good deal or always give more than what was asked then I'm the one getting the call the next time, in any deals, business or personal.

Tree Feller

Nice whack of lumber but man, I'd hate to be re-stacking over 5000 bf. Why didn't the customer sticker it correctly as it came off the mill so that it wouldn't have to be handled twice?
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Tree Feller

Quote from: francismilker on January 29, 2013, 10:26:45 AM
Around here, if you want 2x4's for building a house you go to the lumber yard. 

For 2x4 studs, it doesn't cost much more to buy them from a lumber yard and you get them with slightly radiused edges and planed faces. The longer the lumber, the more economical it is to have it milled, especially if the sawyer swaps the trees for a load of gravel.   ;D

There's also the added satisfaction of not letting the trees go to waste. That's the primary reason i saw my own construction lumber.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Magicman

Quote from: Tree Feller on January 29, 2013, 12:09:18 PMWhy didn't the customer sticker it correctly as it came off the mill so that it wouldn't have to be handled twice? 
Many times customers do things differently than I would have done.   In this instance and every other of the many times that I have sawed for this customer, that is what he has done. 

My job is to saw the logs.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!