iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loose Bandwheel Belts

Started by Andy White, January 30, 2013, 08:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

I had a small sawing job for a neighbor on Friday, so after checking the mill, I decided it was time to change bandwheel idler and drive belts. After the parts man at the auto parts house said he had no sawmill belts, I called Neil at Woodland Mills for the part numbers. After a short discussion he said he would send me a new set that they were testing out.They are a bottom cogged belt by Gates. He said if I needed them sooner, to go to the auto parts store and ask for a BX77 and a BX58 by Gates. I installed them and noticed the idler belt looked too big. After measuring the outside circumference the old one was 60" and the new one was 61". I started to reinstall the old belt thinking that the new one would never work. Then for kicks, I left it on to see what would happen. The mill has never run smoother, no slipping, no viberation.and no sawdust under the belt. It really didn't look right, but it sure did work. I am glad I'm still learning about things I thought I knew.   Andy

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

tyb525

I've never seen a belt run that loose, but Woodmizer belts are a little loose. Not that loose though.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Slab Slicer

The band wheel belts on my LT 15 look about the same when installed. I like the belt set up. It beats having a set of wheels crowned after they wear.  :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Chuck White

The LT40 blade belts are about the same as far as looseness goes.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

You can go tightie or loosie boath work well,I've run boath but prefer tight its handy if you can scorce your belts local. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

GeorgeK

My LT40 belts seemed real loose at 10 degrees F outside. But it just came from service so figured it was right and it runs like a champ also.
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Okrafarmer

I just replaced the belts on my LT-40HD and they are quite loose. At first I thought the auto parts store messed up on the number, but they seem to go just fine.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

hamish

Bizarre that they recommended a BX series belt over the crowned B series.

At least they were Gates, cant get any better.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!