iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying question

Started by stumpy, September 08, 2004, 08:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

Hi all, I'm still pretty new to the sawmill world and have learned alot form these forums. I hav a "40" in northern Wisconsin loaded with mature White and Red Pine. My first project is to saw my own wood for building a cabin. I have no Kiln and want to AIR dry. I've read all the " How to's" and have the space and time to do it right.
I heard something recently that concerned me. I heard that there have been some lawsuits resulting from paracites or fungus causing health problem. The story said that it was because the lumber was air dryed.

Any info would be appreciated.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

woodhaven

If it was truly air dried then I don't think so. The key word here is "dried". If it sat in a yard for a day or two and it was called air dried, well it wasn't. If someone put some old wet wood in there house then anything could happen.
Richard

Ianab

Yes... If wood is Properly airdried it wont grow fungus or mould any more than kiln dried timber. But if it's only 1/2 dried and say used for house construction where it is sealed up in a wall...Not Good.. Mould City   and people can have allergic reactions to the mould spores that then permeate the house.
NZ has recently had problems with poor building methods letting water into contact with untreated timber in houses. The wood was kiln dried to begin with, but once it got wet again.. yuech.
By the time the story you heard got through the lawyers and reporters who would know what the actual situation was  ::)

Main problem with air dried timber is controlling the air drying so it's not too fast (checking and splitting ) or too slow (mould and fungus) and that the wood may dry and move a little more once it's in use. So long as you can control or work with this, then it's not a problem

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sigidi

Ian
a quick Q how are you planing to dry up that load of Bluegum you posted some pics of on the sawmilling forum?

What sort of protection measures are you using - drying shed or temporary cover like a tarp over top?

TIA
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!