iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shake Rat

Started by Gilman, October 20, 2004, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

Is the term Shake Rat a derogatory term?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

beenthere

A reference to a 'shake cutter' as far as I can remember. Not derogatory, to the best of my knowledge.  Why do you ask?   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I call myself a Mill Rat. :) Proud to say it. I earned it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gilman

I was talking to a friend that was around the logging industry all of his life.  I was telling him how I talked to two different sawyers and boy what a difference between the two.  The two were partners at one point.  One was very sharing with information and the other was like talking to a Spanish inquisitor and would answer questions with, "why do you want to know?"

My friend said he wouldn't be surprised if the second guy was a shake rat. He also said shake rat's were natorious for hiding their sources for cedar logs and whom their customers were.

Just curious about the term since I'd never heard it before.

thanks

Bruce_A

Gilman, I have been called a shake rat for the last 35 years, when I am working cedar.  It is a semi derogotory term for those of us who spend time trying to make a living cutting shake bolts.  One which we almost all take pride in.  This is a skill that is fast disappearing along with the old growth cedar.  Second growth will not make the same quality shakes and is usually  used for shingles and tapersawn shakes, rather than handsplit/resawn shakes as is the old growth.  With good grain wood even handsplit taper shakes can be made.

Gilman

Thanks Bruce,
I'm facinated with nick names like this and where they came from.  It must be the history buff in me.  

Another word word that you all probably know is Hyster.  It came from when ESCO made log rigging equipment and loggers would holler out, "Hoister!" Which sounds like Hyster, thus the name.

Thank You Sponsors!