iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Powered Workshop

Started by Misfit, June 02, 2015, 03:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misfit

I did a search to see if this topic had been covered before; but nothing came up..... I have a 10x12 hip-roofed shed that I'm starting to turn into a small woodworking shop. Power for now consists of an extension cord run from the house.
I have a 60 watt panel formerly used for a hot tub that I was going to use in hard wiring the shed but I wondered if a solar application would be a cost-effective alternative. At most, I would be running a couple of flourescent lights and one power tool (drill press, miter saw, band saw, router) at a time.
From the solar perspective, what size system (panels and wattage) and what components (converter and wattage) should I look into? Anything else important to consider?
TIA for all input.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

samandothers

Solar panels can be expensive and take up room to get power you may need produced for the equipment.  You then would need an inverter to create AC from DC if you plan to use AC equipment.  Batteries may be needed unless you plan to work only in day light. Good luck with evaluation!  I look forward to others feedback.  This will be an interesting topic.   

Ianab

You are going to need some sort of battery storage anyway, assuming your power tools draw  ~1,000 watts when running. That's only a peak load, you don't run the machines for 8 hours, but you probably want to run them when it's cloudy.

I suspect the 60w panel wont get you very far. It will take several days to recharge a decent battery. If you run that down in one day, you are stuck for the next.

A couple of 300w panels are probably more use. A heavy duty deep cycle battery or 2, and an inverter that can supply enough power for a standard mains outlet (~2,000W?). That will power any one light power tool like you mention.  I would go with LED lights that run directly off the DC battery for more efficiency.

I suspect running a more permanent feed from the house is going to be cheaper. The system I'm thinking of would be practical for say a cabin with no existing supply, where they want $10,000 to connect the mains. Then spending a couple of thousand on a small solar set up to give you basic power makes sense. But if it only costs you say $1,000 to get a sub main run out to the shed, that's going to be cheaper and more reliable power.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mad murdock

Do you have any dependable year round running water near there where you could consider a micro hydro setup?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

gww

I couldn't agree with Ianab more.  I have 5800 watts and to 500 watt turbines and I self installed and it cost more then $20,000 to do it after a 30% rebate and it will still never be paid for.  It would pay for its self in about 100 years but the battery will only last 15 if I am super lucky, the electronics like charge controllers and inverters should be figured at around a ten year life.

If you where at a creek and had no other way to get electric then fine but cost wise your electric cord is cheep.

I did mine as a hobby knowing it wasn't a sound investment the same as liking to drive a v 10 truck or something.  I liked "the ideal of" the ideal of being independant.  It isn't real and you find that to be true the first time an inverter goes out but it is a fun ideal.

Batteries start dieing the minute they are made and just the battery adds up to more cost then the electric poco provides.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to do it anyway as long as you have no missconseptions.  There are many good forums that can help with the planing if you dicide to do it anyway.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php

These are two of my favorites if you want to pursue it further.  They are the forest forums of solar and wind and have helpful members.
Good luck
gww

Ps  I also agree with Mad M.   Hydro can pay.

Misfit

Thanks for the great replies guys. It's much appreciated.
I wish I did have a stream on the property but I'm on the northwest slope of Pikes Peak at a tad over 9,000 feet and it's bone dry!!
Looks like I'll be staying on the grid. I too like the idea of being solar but practicality comes first.  :D
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

Ljohnsaw

I'd say +1 on hard wire.  Ianab, Misfit made a typo (I'm pretty sure).  He doesn't have a 60w (solar) panel, he as a 60 amp sub-panel for the hot tub!  With that, he is all set - pop in a few 15amp breakers and your good to go!  Always put your lighting on a separate breaker from your power tools - not fun popping the breaker at night and loosing the lights, too!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mad murdock

Quote from: Misfit on June 02, 2015, 10:29:15 PM
Thanks for the great replies guys. It's much appreciated.
I wish I did have a stream on the property but I'm on the northwest slope of Pikes Peak at a tad over 9,000 feet and it's bone dry!!
Looks like I'll be staying on the grid. I too like the idea of being solar but practicality comes first.  :D
You may consider a smaller solar array and couple that with wind, if you have a reasonable amount of it where you are.  You can build a VAWT (Vertical Axis Wind Turbine)and Alternator for around 50-150 depending on how resourceful you are.  I have plans for a 75W and a 160W version.  Wind and solar together are a lot more realistic than one or the other as a stand alone.As other have already stated, you will have battery maintenance and replacement, and inverter costs, so running a cable from the house will be the cheapest option for sure.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Misfit

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 02, 2015, 10:43:30 PM
I'd say +1 on hard wire.  Ianab, Misfit made a typo (I'm pretty sure).  He doesn't have a 60w (solar) panel, he as a 60 amp sub-panel for the hot tub!  With that, he is all set - pop in a few 15amp breakers and your good to go!  Always put your lighting on a separate breaker from your power tools - not fun popping the breaker at night and loosing the lights, too!
Thanks John; I did mean just that.

Thank You Sponsors!