iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Howdy

Started by furltech, August 28, 2012, 02:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

If anyone with a single grip is looking for work in northern nova scotia i have lots of wood for you to cut .

snowstorm

what do you call lots?

furltech

enough to keep someone running until road close for sure .the fellow i have hired right now is not producing at all .i would like some one who would at least cut a couple of hundred cord a week minimum

beenthere

furltech

Is there a market for that much wood nowadays? Or is that part of the reason your hire right now is not producing? 

i.e. Will the market take all you can produce? Is there money to be made, is what I'm getting at.

I assume your recent post is aimed at the same problem.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60319.msg882709.html#msg882709
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

furltech

If i could get it cut i can get rid of it .I pay when the wood hits the landing bi weekly ,the fellow harvesting doesn't have to worry about markets .And i believe things are going to look a little better here at least in the short term i think  the old new page pulpmill  is set to open and we have a studmill close to me who is going to start back up .Knock on wood i havent had any big market tie up yet this year or last .

Jamie_C

Holy cripes furltech, where did you find that much stumapge ? For the average single grip running single 10 hr shifts 5 days week that would add up to about 10,000 tonnes of wood

furltech

Stumpage has never been my problem and 10000 tonnes isnt a lot of wood. back when i portered wood for irving we consistently put 1200 tonnes to 1500 tonnes roadside a week with the porter. a single grip harvester even running one shift should get 300 to 500 tonnes a week working out  to roughly 150 to 250 cords a week .thats only 10 or 11 loads a day for the porter .

Ken

Furltech if you were not 3 1/2 hours away I may be quite interested.  Although there are many other factors that would also come into play.  Quality of wood, pay rate, access, block sizes, ground conditions, etc etc etc.  I'm sure if the rate of pay is good with high volume stands you should not have too much problem getting someone once you get the word out.

The amount of available contractors seems to have become quite limited in the past few years.  The market conditions here in NB with respect to softwood pulpwood is pretty much non-existent this summer.  As a result there has been some contractors shut their gear down and in some instances send them to auction.  There seems to be a bit of a uptake in US housing which should open up more markets for structural material.  I sure hope the trend continues as the few remaining contractors may have a decent "kick at the can" for a change.   
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Jamie_C

Quote from: furltech on August 29, 2012, 07:16:30 PM
Stumpage has never been my problem and 10000 tonnes isnt a lot of wood. back when i portered wood for irving we consistently put 1200 tonnes to 1500 tonnes roadside a week with the porter. a single grip harvester even running one shift should get 300 to 500 tonnes a week working out  to roughly 150 to 250 cords a week .thats only 10 or 11 loads a day for the porter .

To have that much stumpage available is unusual in my experience, and i agree that 10,000 tonnes isn't a lot of wood. In decent cutting you should be getting 400 tonnes plus a week, really good cutting you can double that.

furltech

Jamie it isn't all in one spot i cut for a company who has been in business for about 30 years and they have been buying land for quite awhile and they have a bunch they manage for landowners  and they buy and sell stumpage all the time they also do extensive planting and silviculture work .

Jamie_C

Quote from: furltech on August 30, 2012, 01:18:20 PM
Jamie it isn't all in one spot i cut for a company who has been in business for about 30 years and they have been buying land for quite awhile and they have a bunch they manage for landowners  and they buy and sell stumpage all the time they also do extensive planting and silviculture work .

You working for North Nova ??

furltech

no i think clem deyoung is working for them and someone else but i dont remember the name .i work mostly in pictou county

Thank You Sponsors!