iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For Stihl fans..:)

Started by weimedog, January 02, 2018, 12:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

DelawhereJoe

It doesn't really matter where a product is made, its all about quality control, good components and the care of/for the employees. 
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Crusarius

Very well said. The reason most things went to china is price point. If you want to get 2 of the exact same things built but one has a price point of $2 and the other has a price point of $20. You know the $20 one will be far superior. its not china ruining everything. its price points. China is just able to reach the price points that rich greedy executives in the US want.

Crusarius

After rereading my previous statement I am really hoping not to start a war with it. Please take it for what its worth. One EDITED BY ADMIN opinion :)

HolmenTree

Yes you better tread lightly on that topic.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Crusarius

oops. sorry. I thought if it was bad it would auto correct. Won't use that one again.

weimedog

All true. I can remember still when things made in Japan had the same stigma Chinese build stuff has now......didn't take long for them to just own several industries. New York...I remember installing CAD/CAM in companies like Carrier UTC, places like General Railway Signal, a whole bunch of places where they no longer exist. Remember companies like Monarch Machine Tool in cortland, "Moog" Buffalo, etc. Can't decide which is worse, greedy executives or a greedy State government....:) (Kentucky looks better every year around this time! )

Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a radical increase in the capability and quality coming out of China, not a bit.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

BradMarks

Don't think I fall into the rich greedy executives category, but I am a businessman.  There are times when you have no choice but to purchase merchandise made in China, as that is the only place that particular item is made, no U.S.(or others) alternative.  Other times, it makes economical sense. I can have items made overseas at 40-60% on the dollar (delivered), that if made in the U.S. I couldn't sell - would be priced out.  The 'ol if you can't beat 'em join 'em.  My family and I still like to eat!.  In other words it isn't just a simple answer.

JW IN VA

I thought all stihl saws up through the 362 were made in Va Beach Va.I know the FS 38 trimmer is asian sourced, but what else? The young man in the video is assembling a chain saw.

thedoublejranch

Wow, my Stihl 026AV reads "Made in West Germany". Bought new in 1990.  ;D
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

weimedog

Quote from: thedoublejranch on January 02, 2018, 09:47:57 PM

Just points out things change....:)

HolmenTree

Quote from: thedoublejranch on January 02, 2018, 09:47:57 PM
Yep and shortly after that time it changed to "Made in Germany" after the iron curtain was torn down. :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

moodnacreek

Crusarius, in business if there is an advantage, and you don't use it, your competitor well. This is the cold hard truth.  Unless there is no competition [like with Simonds] it's the consumer who has all the power.  Anything that remains on the market is because people are buying it. 

Crusarius

yup. I agree I was just trying to explain why some stuff from china is crap and some is good. It is all bout price point. The customer dictates the price point therefore dictates the quality of the goods. At least that is how it works in my industry. It may be different elsewhere.

Texas-Jim

China like all manufactures can and will make a product to your specs. If they make a poor part whos fault is that, theirs or the company that set the standards? Not to mention the american buyer cares more for price than quality as a rule. Sad but true.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Al_Smith

Quote from: weimedog on January 02, 2018, 02:20:13 PM
Remember companies like Monarch Machine Tool in cortland, "Moog" Buffalo, etc.

Just as general info ,Monarch was "home ported" in Sidney Ohio which is about 30 miles to the south of me .They made the lathes so good they never wore out .The last I heard the works in Sidney was a parts repository for parts,engineering drawings etc .

Al_Smith

On the subject without delving into the politics ( nice guy Al ) does it make any sense to ship veneer grade white oak logs from Ohio,Indiana ,Iowa,Illinois and other midwest, eastern states to China and ship back oak plywood ? I just don't get it  ???

Crusarius

It has to make sense somewhere. or somehow. There are lots of ppl smarter than me that make lots of money doing it.

My guess is the reason it works so well is they take the veneer logs then use local species for the other layers. That would make a lot of sense. Especially when they don't have the veneer logs available locally.

Fishnuts2

My only beef with the whole china thing is being asked to pay American made prices for parts made with sweat shop labor costs.

I buy some saw parts, golf club components and other parts made over there, but it must be priced accordingly.  I wouldn't consider buying a saw built in china like those blue max or whatever they're called, and the same goes for the ones with major brand names on them.

ehp

Weim, not really sure why you would go there with this but you did so why did you not also tell everyone that Husky also has plants in China cause they do

Thank You Sponsors!