iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer RS2 resaw attachment

Started by John_Haylow, June 24, 2012, 12:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Quote from: greglwood on April 02, 2017, 12:20:47 AM
If you leave the RS2 on the saw how much log length do you loose?  In other words whats the max log length with the RS2 left attached? 

Also a slight different question? If one was to add a bed extension to the saw could the RS2 be attached to the bed extension and left on there?

The resaw mounts in the center of the bed.   You cannot saw with the resaw installed.

If you modified things and had an extension, you may be able to leave it installed.   I just question the logic in that.  It's not  that hard to take off and on if you have the right setup or help.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

saltydogs

my RS2 does not leave my bed.  the RS2 takes up the first bed, and the other 3 7 foot sections are used for traditional milling.  its a true 2 purpose setup.  i resaw as much as i mill so remoing the RS2 doesnt' make any sense.  it's a super easy modification to mount the resaw to the first bed and use the remaining beds for your trad milling.  cheers.
Epilog Helix 60 watt laser. raster engraving and vector cutting
Legacy Explorer CNC 2d/3d raster carving and vector cutting
Woodmizer LT15E10L sawmill w/ RS2 resaw attachment and power feed.
State of the art wood working shop!!!  Saltydog Woodworks @ fb

saltydogs

Quote from: DR_Buck on April 03, 2017, 06:18:40 PM
If you leave the RS2 on the saw how much log length do you loose?  In other words whats the max log length with the RS2 left attached?  

Also a slight different question? If one was to add a bed extension to the saw could the RS2 be attached to the bed extension and left on there?

The resaw mounts in the center of the bed.   You cannot saw with the resaw installed.

If you modified things and had an extension, you may be able to leave it installed.   I just question the logic in that.  It's not  that hard to take off and on if you have the right setup or help.
you can saw with the resaw attached.  it's an easy modification and makes life much easier.  far easier than lifting the rs2 on and off.  my mod vid is on youtube under our channel @ saltydogwoodworks on youtube.  check it out, true dual purpose sawmill in action!

saltydogs

If you leave the RS2 on the saw how much log length do you loose?  In other words whats the max log length with the RS2 left attached?  

Greglwood, you're all over it.  i did just as you described.  added a bed section that is dedicated to my RS2 and when i want to convert to trad milling, i simply unplug the resaw and drive the mill forward to the second bed section and start milling.  i don't remove my RS2, it's not hard but i like leaving it all assembled.  saltydogwoodworks on youtube to see a vid of the mod and my dust collection set up for the RS2.  

saltydogs

Quote from: saltydogs on March 05, 2018, 05:30:38 PM

Greglwood, you're all over it.  i did just as you described.  added a bed section that is dedicated to my RS2 and when i want to convert to trad milling, i simply unplug the resaw and drive the mill forward to the second bed section and start milling.  i don't remove my RS2, it's not hard but i like leaving it all assembled.  saltydogwoodworks on youtube to see a vid of the mod and my dust collection set up for the RS2.  
btw.  you loose almost your entire ability to saw traditionally without the mod and the addition of a bed extension.  factory has you mounting the RS2 on the second bed.  i mounted mine on the first bed.  required drilling 2 holes in the bed is all.  easy day.  then the purchased 4 bed extension now allows me to trad mill logs up to 17 foot which is plenty long enough for our application.  we use the RS2 twice as much as the trad mill.  hope this makes sense and helps out.

DR Buck

Quote from: saltydogs on March 05, 2018, 05:33:25 PM
Quote from: saltydogs on March 05, 2018, 05:30:38 PM

Greglwood, you're all over it.  i did just as you described.  added a bed section that is dedicated to my RS2 and when i want to convert to trad milling, i simply unplug the resaw and drive the mill forward to the second bed section and start milling.  i don't remove my RS2, it's not hard but i like leaving it all assembled.  saltydogwoodworks on youtube to see a vid of the mod and my dust collection set up for the RS2.  
btw.  you loose almost your entire ability to saw traditionally without the mod and the addition of a bed extension.  factory has you mounting the RS2 on the second bed.  i mounted mine on the first bed.  required drilling 2 holes in the bed is all.  easy day.  then the purchased 4 bed extension now allows me to trad mill logs up to 17 foot which is plenty long enough for our application.  we use the RS2 twice as much as the trad mill.  hope this makes sense and helps out.

This solution although sounding great is only applicable to the LT 15 mills.   You can't do it with the RS2 on an LT40 or LT70.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!