iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for logs.

Started by Florida boy, November 22, 2016, 01:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesper Jepsen

Quote from: ozarkgem on November 24, 2016, 06:11:01 AM
423 bf in a cubic meter. so roughly 15 cents a bf. Not bad. course you have to log them.

The trees are cut and skid out to road and piled so a truck can easily take them with a crane, if you will you can get a permit to log yourself but that is not such big trees.

clintnelms

I've never bought logs and I'm still learning bf. So what do you all typically pay for one log total? Let's say a 10 foot pine log around 18 inches?

WV Sawmiller

Clint,

Attached is a copy of an international 1/4" log scale which is handy to estimate bf amounts in a log. Most of us with thin kerf band mills routinely beat these estimates especially when the logs are clear and straight. There are other scales out there but this  is one of the more popular ones.

Base don this your 10' log 18" diameter (if that is small end inside bark) should yield approximately 140 bf.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

Different places are different so take into consideration location. I buy logs. Mostly oak with some hickory, sycamore, elm,  or cedar mixed in. (cedar and walnut are totally different on price depending on size and form) I pay $.35 for all under 16'' sed and for RO or WO over 16'' and 2 clear sides I pay $.50. So a log that is 10' and 16'' sed and at least 2 clear sides is worth $45, or if it isnt clear enough $31.50.

The sweet spot for me is sawing ties out of 12'' logs. They cost me $14 and make 8 stringers that pay $6.40 and a tie that pays $28.25. Three or 4 an hour makes the boss happy.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brad_bb

clintnelms, it's 122 BF by Doyle Scale.  Multiply that by the whatever the appropriate BF price is in your area or what you are willing to pay. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Florida boy

Well it ends up the guy is easy going and gave me 5 pine ligs totaling about 450 bf. Says he's about to cut 5 or 2 good sized pines and several red oaks that I can have for free. His brother has been working for a tree service here in town (rural) and he's going to talk to him about logs. Hopefully more freebies.

WV Sawmiller

Free is good! Congratulations of cultivating a source and saving these logs from the scrap heap or firewood pile. Keep up the good work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!