iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going from band to swing blade

Started by yarnammurt, December 30, 2013, 10:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnammurt

I didn't really know what I was getting into but I have to say I think I am going to like it ;D. I have only cut a hand full of logs but a lot faster than I would have thought. I could work a stacker to death with a pile of  halfway decent logs. And even in logs with some knots it cuts very nice, good strait lumber. I don't have to worry if the blade is going to dive. All in all I think I would take it over a band mill. I Have the slabing bar so I can cut real nice table tops. A+ in my book if you have a chance to run a Peterson swing blade you should give it a try you just might like it.

Troy     
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

redbeard

I agree with you totally. But I like the band mill for the versatility. When (Chris) Meadows Miller was traveling around the US from Australia with a 1030 Lucas I was so impressed at the speed and accuracy a swing mill has. The best scenario is to own both. Sure glad your enjoying your new adventure.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

yarnammurt

I have my eye on a small 20hp band mill with 16ft of track. All manual but will be nice to have it next to the Peterson.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

Gasawyer

I run both a 618 Lucas and a Lt40hdd. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. But you can handle most anything that comes along. The only issue I have is switching between the two because of the very different methods of sawing. Good luck with your Peterson mill.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

hackberry jake

I never have seen one run before... you arent too far from me... hmmm ???
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

this for sure will come off prejudice, and raise a few hairs, but, what the heck, its the last day of the year.
The swing blades I've never ran, only watched at the shoot out, lots of work, and a good way to get fit. for logs larger than 30" dia, I believe the way to go, for logs less, I have to believe the right band mill would be my choice.  Both are work, and have specific design intentions,  as for the slabbing mills, hands down in my opinion the only way to get the good from logs to big for the band mills,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ianab

I agree that with smaller logs the Swingblades loose their main selling point (The ability to cut large longs). But they can still handle the smaller stuff, arguably no better than a band mill, but still with decent production.

They have other up sides though, cheaper, compared to a hydraulic band mill. OK they are generally manual mills, but you can get production from them similar to a much more expensive band mill.

More portable. You need a proper tow vehicle to drag a large band saw around. You can't do it behind a medium car or small Japanese pickup. You can with the swingblade. Same for storage, takes maybe 1/4 of a garage to store it safely under cover. Many of the logs I've cut, there would have simply been no way to get a large band mill in there. If you tried, it would still be in the bottom of the swamp  :D

Maintenance? The mills are pretty simple. Blades cost more, but last a long time. Can be re-tipped / re-tensioned as needed, and sharpened right on the mill. Couple of other wear parts like drive belts and some small rollers. But so many less things to wear out / bend / break.

Like others have said, you do need to look at sawing logs in a slightly different way. While I've never operated a band mill, I can see how it would be different. WE have to think "top to bottom" in layers, instead of "from the outside in". Just a different strategy.

I'm not knocking band mills, obviously there are 1,000 of them in use, and they work great. They just wouldn't work for me.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodyone.john

I own and operate 2 mills , 1 a 10 inch wpf peterson,very cheap to operate 2 imperial gallons of 91 octane per sawing day,cheap and easy blade maintenance.moving large logs requires some effort or big toys but produces large volumes of timber in short order in construction sizes. You will get fit if you weren't at the start and the log cant be moved if you want to keep your datum. resawing is difficult ,and you create a lot of sawdust if you saw inch and smaller sizes.
2 an lt 40 super. pain in the butt for logs over 30 inches high cost in blade maintenance [time to sharpen and cost of blades] and higher costs of fuel pet cubic metre of wood sawn,but it can resaw, acn cut a cant can [have too] turn the log or cant and can saw a lot of flooring or linning or cladding with only a barrow load of saw dust.And with hydraulics the physical effort is lots less. a second hand swing mill would be 1/19 to 1/4 the  price of a 2ndhand bandsaw. Ideal for a young buck. I WAS mall prick and ribs when i used the swing blade fulltime, nowadays i am less angular. cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Mt406

Welcome to the darkside or maybe into the light.
I know one thing for sure don't get the band millers all fuzzed up, that bunch sticks together and I think they will car pool to your place to put the smack down on ya...
All Fun aside the people here are a good bunch thay have been a lot of help and good info.
I am still green with my swing blade. But having fun.
Some advice were your safety gear.... frozen saw dust stings, knots can leave knots when traveling at high speeds, watch for shake it can bind the blade or kick out.

Scott

Mt406

Ps  don't leave your cant hook laying against the end of your log. Unless you like a shorter one  :D

hunz

Quote from: Mt406 on January 01, 2014, 11:34:12 AM
Welcome to the darkside or maybe into the light.
I know one thing for sure don't get the band millers all fuzzed up, that bunch sticks together and I think they will car pool to your place to put the smack down on ya...
All Fun aside the people here are a good bunch thay have been a lot of help and good info.
I am still green with my swing blade. But having fun.
Some advice were your safety gear.... frozen saw dust stings, knots can leave knots when traveling at high speeds, watch for shake it can bind the blade or kick out.

Scott

The car pool line put a big grin on my face. Reminds me of Lynn and the crew going down to Texas for the Good will trip. Could you imagine that crew showing up in your yard for a royal band vs swing rumble haha. Man, I love all of the guys on the FF, and the humor. From band to swing every last one has a quality gentleman sawyer behind it.

I myself have really coveted the swing mills. I sure would like to have a 6" Lucas to compliment my soon to own lt-35hyd. I could tackle it all with that setup!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

slider

Nomad may chime in.I think he has both.
al glenn

Nomad

I do have both; a Lucas 1030 with a slabber attachment and a WoodMizer LT50.  As far as I'm concerned I've got the best of both worlds.  There isn't much I can't do.  The only problem I see is with the different manufacturers.
     The swingblade guys figure I'm ambidextrous.  The Bandmill folks think I'm a hermaphrodite. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

The only answer to the swinger vs. bandmill debate is to own both. 8)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

both would be sweet!  I've lost some logs due to the lack of capacity,  nice logs at that,  david

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

diesel pap

my last mill was a 8 inch lucas mill. my brother inlaw has a big production circle mill. he had several logs that were to big for him to cut. i took the lucas and sawed them. they are very good for big logs. i have the ezboardwalk 40 now and love it. both style of mills are great.

barbender

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 01, 2014, 05:29:23 PM
The only answer to the swinger vs. bandmill debate is to own both. 8)
I would have to agree, I don't own both but I do have someone else's swingmill set up at my place. That may be even better than having to own both!
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!