iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic winch on badger processor

Started by logman81, March 17, 2014, 11:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Can any one tell me what brand of hydraulic winch is on the badger processor?
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

I think they are mile marker winches but not to sure. I'm planning to build my own firewood processor similar to the badger.

dave_dj1

I was hoping someone would know cuz I would be interested too.
dave

logman81

Some one who has a badger will know for sure, I have some other questions on them too. I know the one I'm going to build will be fully hydraulic.

logman81

If any one can help me that owns a badger, I need some questions answered on how the splitter is built/constructed. Trying to figure out if they use a I beam or some other way.

logman81

Ok looking for some input , so far my plans are to use a 38hp Koehler engine to power the hydraulics. I'm thinking about using a double pump from prince so I can do two things at the same time. I plan on using a 4x24 cylinder for the splitter. I plan to use a hydraulic chain saw from danzco as the cut off saw. My question is the 38 hp enough I think it should be, the pump I'm think about is a double pump first section will be 22 gpm for splitter and second pump 20gpm for saw and the hydraulic winch and wedge height cylinder. What do you think?

logman81

I'm really surprised no one has any thoughts on this or knows if this set up will work?

Ivan49

Thats probably will work but it seems to me like a little over kill on the pumps. Bigger is better I guess. If you can go look at one or look at their info on the internet. If I remember right they use a 20 or 22 gal pump to run everything. When I looked at one they could saw and split and feed the saw down at the same time while running the conveyer. I could not see the pump setup because of the guards. It was doing all 3 things at the same time without a problem

logman81

I've looked at a few online most of them seem to use double pumps but some use single. I think I should be good with that motor.

EricR

that motor isn't big enough to run a double pump with that flow rate.  you would be pumping 42 gpm.   they say the rule of thumb is gpm x psi / 1714  If I did my math right at 2500 psi that's 61 hp.  I think you would be constantly hitting the governor with that engine, even then im not sure you would have enough hp.  In my experience those 2 cylinder gas engines don't have a lot of torque and don't have a lot of lugging ability.  on all the smaller processors I have seen that run double pumps one is around a 20gpm ,which runs the saw and splitter and a much smaller (somewhere around 6gpm) run all the other functions.  my processor has a double pump with about 28 gpm total and that has a 35 horse 4 cylinder Kubota on it

cwjr

EricR,
what saw motor are you using on your processor?  I am building a processor with a 4 cyl perkins with a 3 stage pump 25gpm, 12gpm, 6gpm.  I am thinking about using the parker f11 or the sunfab SCM but both are very expensive motors. 

logman81

Eric you are correct, after doing the calculations I figured out what I believe to be the best set up for my application. I plan to use the danzco connect and cut saw system for the cut off, the requirements for the saw motor are between 19-21 gpm @ 2000psi. I will be using a 4x24 cylinder with 2" rod for the splitter. I will be using a mile maker 9000lb hydraulic winch. It requires 3.5 gpm. So my thinking is to run the splitter off of the first section which rated @ 19.08 gmp @2000 rpm. Second section which will run the winch and the cylinder for the wedge hight is rated @ 4.04 gpm  @ 2000 rpm. Both pumps can be had from surplus center.

logman81

So here is another question, I would like to use a H beam for the splitter what would be the proper beam size ? I'm think a 8" wide top plate would be correct with a 1/2 web thickness? I will be using a 4" 3000 psi cylinder and a main wedge hight of at least 12"maybe 14" the pump is also a 3000 psi at max.

logman81

Also what do you think is better, the log troth inline with the splitter or off to one side and have it roll into the splitter troth?

AnthonyW

Log feed in parallel to the log splitter and dropping next to the splitter. That's my plan anyway.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

logman81

I'm going to build mine like the way the badger is.

Ivan49

The problem I saw with the Badger when it was running is if you have a lot of wood that don't need to be split it has to go thru the splitter to get to the conveyer. If you make it offset you can add a plate that allows the wood to roll off and it to the elevator. On mine I lowered the splitter so the elevator could sit on top of the splitter and go on thru without having to be split. My conveyer is aluminum so I don't have the weight that you would have with a steel one and I can just grab the end and pick it up

logman81

I don't think that will be a problem for me as I can size my logs to fit the machine. The smallest wood that I cut is 6".

Ivan49

Do you split 6 inch wood? I only split wood if it is above 10 inches

logman81

Yes just in half, I'm having trouble locating the proper pump mount. The engine uses a. 7 3/4 bolt circle, the pump uses a two bolt SAE B mounting flange with 4" pilot diam. I can't seem to locate a mount for this setup, any one know were to get one?

Stephen Alford

Hey logman81,my firewood market may differ from yours but I only sell split wood.  Under 3" may go as round. Any wood that is not up to spec gets separated and used in the shop.  For this reason the inline to conveyor setup works for me.  Square tubing is the backbone. There is a brace for the knives welded on the end of it.  The different knives   (2/4/6 way)  drop through the tubing in front of the brace.  Having an inline pressure gauge to each function is a big plus. That is the knife to the left in this pic.  Just a concept.  :)

On another note  just got  "ma ride" dug out. Thinking "spring rolls for supper"

logon

Ivan49

Quote from: logman81 on March 27, 2014, 02:03:36 PM
Yes just in half, I'm having trouble locating the proper pump mount. The engine uses a. 7 3/4 bolt circle, the pump uses a two bolt SAE B mounting flange with 4" pilot diam. I can't seem to locate a mount for this setup, any one know were to get one?

If you have the pump spacer already just take it to a machine shop and they can put some holes in where needed. I was a machines and we use to do this all the time but the tapped holes we put in were 1 1/4 or larger

logman81

After looking more I found a company that makes the pump mount for the pump and engine combo.

Thank You Sponsors!