iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I was this close!

Started by Norm, March 24, 2012, 11:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

When we headed down to the gulf coast the first night out we stayed at a town called Grenada MS. Noticed on the GPS it had a nice size lake next to it but never gave it much thought until...

I read this

Someone should have told me!  :D

Texas Ranger

Best DanG eating fish there is, cajuns do a wonder with it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

We used to go fishing for them at night with lights in the water during the summer. Something I've not done in twenty years or better. Crappies caught when it is warm will get mushy if you try to keep them on a stringer or a bucket or live well, so we would take a cooler with ice and throw them right on the ice. Crappy is the only pan fish I don't skin when I fillet them. I always scale them because they scale so easy and the skin helps hold them together when you fry em up.  The best and biggest crappies we used to get were at last ice on long lake north of town. we would use the smallest minnows you could find and about a size 18 treble hook under a neutral weighted slip bobber.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wwsjr

This past week there have been limits of crappie taken similiar to the pictures on your post on the Tenn-Tom Waterway lakes and even the canal sections. Most of the guys use small minnows or jigs. I have seem some of the older guys use cane ploes with jigs or stiff casting rods. The Tenn-Tom is east of Grenada, runs from Tennessee River to Mobile Al. I am planning to go next week, lakes are really busy on weekends. Like Jeff says, I like to scale them also.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Well, you were the one in a hurry.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Norm, I should have known you are a crappie fisherman. ;) :D

Me too!  ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Norm

You know MM you're absolutely right, next time I'm going to stay the entire 2 weeks at your place.  :D

James I'm an equal opportunity fisherman but crappie's are one of my favorites to fish for. While down in Missouri fishing a couple weeks ago I had what I thought was the biggest walleye of my life until I got it next to shore. Wrong a  buffalo foul hooked in the tail. Still had a ball fighting it and it went on to live another day. I also noticed we were one of the few keeping white bass and hybrids, most everyone else would toss them back while crappie fishing. Crappie's my favorite too but I'm a big eater! :D

fishpharmer

Norm, I'm a big eater as well.  Catfish and crappie are my two favorites.  You can find the latest Mississippi fishing reports here...

http://www.mdwfp.com/applications/fishing%20reports/mobile/listing.aspx

Here is the latest Genada Lake Report, it mentions a 3.8 pounder....

http://www.mdwfp.com/applications/fishing%20reports/mobile/Report.aspx?id=11

These are mobile versions, but you can find the non mobile versions at www.mdwfp.com

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

And you would be welcome Norm.  You could home base from here and see/do lots of stuff.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Thanks MM, I wish I'd researched a little more for my trip down there. I noticed a bunch of really nice lakes on my GPS during our trip but didn't look into them enough.

You guys have a beautiful state to live in, hopefully it's not my last trip there.  :)

Magicman

It is confining to some folks.  A friend from Wyoming once commented that he "couldn't see".  Another on an internet forum said "well I guess that you just have trees everywhere".  Yes we do.  If you have any doubt, then just Google it.

thecfarm

MM,trees everyways,what's a matter with that.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

It is very good for the portable sawmill business. 

Gota Knothole Sawmill....Will Travel.   smiley_thumbsup

Patty

Norm & I did a little fishing today in our pond out in front of the house. The pond is really low due to lack of rain, so the fishing is pretty good...all those guys trapped in a small space. We caught lots of bass.....all in the ~ 2 pound range, and Norm caught a crappie that was pretty good size. What a nice way to spend a Sunday morning!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WDH

Now you have something to go with those hushpuppies that Norm has been hankering to fry  :D.  I am not sure what I like best, the fish or the hushpuppies  :).  I need to do some more research  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!