iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Y'all Want Some Ipe

Started by Fla._Deadheader, November 10, 2004, 02:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

We have a job lined up to remove about 1500 sq/ft of Ipe flooring. What can we do with it ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

What will it look like once it is 'ripped' up?  How is it fastened down, and what length, width, and thickness are the flooring boards? Yeah, I know, too many questions.  ;D

Pic of the floor before ripping up would be great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, too many questions. :D :D

Ain't even seen the job, but, Ed has. It has been wet and the edges are slightly curled. The guy that installs this stuff, says, he would put it right back down, once it's dry, and sand it flat. He thinks just the edges are curled, not the whole board. It is all short ( up to 4' )pieces and is probably 3" or 4" wide.

It is nailed OR stapled to Plywood, that is power nailed to the concrete slab. Has to come up to clear the mold, so, Insurance Co. paid for it.

Now, What can be done with this. We really don't have any place to store it, and hate to throw it into the landfill.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin

How about making some TREASURE CHESTS !  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Stuff would be too heavy.  :D :D  Never lift it with treasure in it. ;) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

EZ

If you do make something with it , dont run it threw the planer. All that sand and little peebles play heck on the blades. Beleave me, been there done that. ::) :D
EZ

Haytrader

Harold,

If it is heavy........hmmmm........build the treasure chests and put a cheap padlock on em.

Them snowbirds might just think they are full of treasure and pay ya a lot for them.

;)
Haytrader

florida

Sounds like it may be tough to remove but it's got to be worth it to somebody. That stuff retails at over $5.00 a BF around here. Great stuff though, lots of the state agencies use Ipe for all their boardwalks now as it last so long.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

sawwood

Would make good pices for segmented bows and plates.
 If you do git some post a photo of it. I would buy some
 from you Fla-Deadheader.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Paschale

A friend of mine just did his front porch with Ipe.  It looks AMAZING!  There has got to be someone down there who'd be interested in it.  Do any of your local woodworking stores have a bulletin board for customers to sell stuff?  They have that here, and I'm sure you could get something for it.  I'd throw an add in the paper as well--run it for five days, and just have somebody make an offer.  Ipe is beautiful wood, and is really pretty naturally rot resistant, from what I hear--and expensive.  I'm sure if you get the word out, you'll be able to see that stuff no problem.  Just don't throw it away, though...that'd be a tragedy!  
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Fla._Deadheader

We tore up 720 ft of that Ipe yesterday. It all went to the landfill. ::)

We finished tearing up the plywood this morning, and went on to the next job. There is some really nice pieces, and THIS stuff is nailed down. Ed ripped up a few border pieces and then used the BIG bar and peeled that stuff like an Orange. We saved about 75 ft. The rest will be landfill. Got NO place to store it. Most was wet underneath, but, I saved out all the drier stuff, IF it doesn't rain tonight. Too DanG tired to take it out of the truck. :o

Lester, how much do you want??? It runs from 24" to 84" long, and 3½" or so, wide. Some is figured and some is plain. I will NOT take out the nails, well maybe. ;D  I will weigh it and all you need is to pay freight. It's HEVVVVY.  ;D ;D ;D

I will take some pics, as soon as I can move around. ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sawwood

Fla-Deadheader I will take 10 of the longes and wide pices.
 Let me know how much on the shipping and will send it your
 way.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

L. Wakefield

QuoteIf you do make something with it , dont run it threw the planer. All that sand and little peebles play heck on the blades. Beleave me, been there done that. ::) :D
EZ

Would that be all on the top side or would it be on the bottom side too?  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

rbarshaw

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Fla._Deadheader

It's a very dense Tropical Hardwood, dark in color. It sounds like eee--pay. It is somewhat brittle and very tough. It's heavy and takes a shine like a mirror..
   First, it is ridiculed;

rbarshaw

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Fla._Deadheader

Here's a pic. Ran out of Floppy's.

First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

Taste like chicken done on the grill that way ??? ::) ;D :D

Looks good so far. Looks like it is coming up easily.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!