iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long time visitor, first time poster! Need advice regarding low budget milling.

Started by Ozarkian, January 16, 2012, 09:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglassawdust

Greetings, not sure if this post is still active but i was in a similar situation as yourself - looking for an entry-level sawing solution to suit my needs. As an extremely motivated DIY-er, i had a huge 200 year old red oak fall over on my property that was about 100' tall and 4' in diameter at the base of the trunk and almost no rot. After i got quotes on its removal from my arborist i decided that it was time to purchase a sawmill to make use of the unbelievable wood in this tree instead of letting it all go to waste in someones woodburner and having to pay for that to happen.

That said, i purchased a WM LT 10 for a little over a K more than you are looking to spend but it was worth every penny. With a little help from friends, enginuity and some fabrication, i made the somewhat sationary mill portable enough to tow around my property with my lawn tractor. This is WoodMizers entery level mill but its a very well built machine. I did a lot of resarch before i bought it and its construction is actually quite impressive when compared to some of the other entry level bandmills out there.

Ive easily had 30-inch 1500 lb logs on this thing and it slices through them faster than you can turn the log for another cut. Ive been producing 18 inch wide quarter-sawn boards that are just so unbelievableable beautiful. Ths machine has worked extremely well for me, and i'd recommend it to anyone looking for an entry-level sawing solution. If anyone is interested i'll be more than happy to post some pictures.

Best Regards.

ForestMan

I also have a Woodmizer LT10.  I wanted the LT15, but simply could not afford it.  I did, however, upgrade the engine to a 10 hp and bought a track extension and a couple of boxes of blades, 5 each.  I spent $4000 on the whole package in 2009.  Since then, the LT10 has gotten better.  Stronger pushbar and tracks.

I cut mesquite logs.  It is a very dense and hard wood.  But with a new blade on my LT10, it cuts through it like butter.  I agree too that it takes more time to turn the log than it does to cut through it.

With my setup, I can cut a log up to 18 feet long, although I never have yet.  I have a very simple setup for log handling.  I put two telephone poles in the ground and attached two 2x10's nailed together across the top of it.  It is about 22 feet across, so I also put in a little cement pad in the middle of it so that I can  brace it with a 4x6 when loading heavy logs.  I use two 2-ton manual cable pullers that I bought for $20 each.  It really works quite well, since I do not have a tractor with a front-end loader. 

We do have a tractor with hydraulics on the back.  I have found that you can order forks for the back for around $150.  I might try that too, but have never heard of it being used before.  That would allow for more movement of logs than I can do manually with my cant hook and peavy. 

I am in the middle of building my first dehumidification kiln as well.  It is 12 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet.  It should hold anywhere from 400 - 600 board feet of lumber, which should dry to 6-8 % moisture content within 4-5 weeks. 

Mesquite being an exotic hardwood, the price per board foot is quite good.  I live in the middle of mesquite central here south east of San Antonio.  My property has quite a few mature mesquites on it.  I'd say probably over 100.  And I have thousands of smaller mesquites on the property too.

Whether or not I can sell my lumber, I can always make a final product out of the lumber, be it cutting boards or furniture, or flooring.  I should be able to sell some of this part-time.

The mill was brand new two years ago.  I have a tarp over it now, and am getting ready to put a roof over it soon.  Just because it is called a hobby mill does not mean that it is inferior.  I don't use it for more than a hobby right now, but I plan on building a business around it.  It does its job and it does it well whenever I need it.  I had occasion to call the company for help one time, and they sent me a replacement part no questions asked.  I think it arrived in two days.  The service you get when you buy a mill should also be considered.  In my experience, Woodmizer's service is first rate.

With 200+ logs to cut, just think of the backbreaking work it will be to cut them up with a chainsaw mill.  Although they have their place, it probably is not enough mill for what you have in mind.  My bandmill has been excellent for my needs.

I wish you success in your venture.  And welcome to the forestry forum.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

ForestMan

I just saw that you own a EZ boardwalk mill, congratulations!  I hope it serves you well for years to come.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

thecfarm

Douglassawdust,welcome to the forum. What's all the lumber going to be used for? Congrats on your new saw. We would like pictures by the way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wood monger

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Douglassawdust, and congratulations on getting the WM LT10.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Douglassawdust

Greetings everyone and thanks for the kind welcome. This forum is a great resource.

thecfarm, most of the lumber will be used for remodeling projects around my home and the homes of my friends and family for cabinet panels, frames, baseboard, custom doors, and wide plank flooring and maybe even some custom rustic staircases. I added a few pictures of the process in my gallery called "Old Red Oak".

ForestMan, good to hear from a fellow LT10 owner and your experiences. Your mesquite forest sounds awesome - id like to see some pictues of that mesquite. I like the sound of how you are loading your logs. Handling and turning these monsters is back breaking work, and ive been trying to come up with a safer and easier way than just some ramps and a cant hook. Good luck with your kiln and selling your lumber- something id like to do as well. A lot of what ive used of this red oak has been air dryed in my garage for a year and then another 8 months in my basement with a dehumidifier. it works but it takes forever. I too picked up a bed extension for about 17 logs 16' long, eastern white pines i got for free for helping take them down. I figured the cost of the extension and a couple weekends worth of work is worth the timbers for framing a new roof on me garage. I agree with your assessment of the LT10 too, its an entry level machine but it does what its supposed to do and it does it well.

ramsfan18

I'm a first time user to and was looking for a bandsaw sawmill. Like you I did not have much money and I found one for $2499.99 on Harbor Frieght and waited till it was on sale for 1799.99 and then took my 20% discount (which is easy to get online) and the final cost was less then $1500.00. The only thing is that you have to wait a couple of months before it is delivered and need a fortlift to get it off the truck.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hunterbuild

welcome ramsfan. Be patient it will come. Mine was back ordered twice. It was very easy to set up. I have a skid steer, so it was easy for me to unload. The first thing I did was build my own track as the one that came with it is to short, and add-ons were not available in the states. Very long order times. A guy helping me saw today said the boards were as good as any he has seen coming of a mill. I can cut 22" wide and 19' long with my set up. Get some good blades, I got some from Cooks and they are working very well.

Cedarman

Off on a tangent, what happened to Ozarkian who started this topic?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

I made a quick look and see why you asked.  July 28 was a long time ago,

Maybe he did what his last post on May 30th suggested;  "I've dreamed of starting my own ministry, standing in the mouth of a great cavern speaking the truth."

Ozarkian

HELLO!!!

What a surprise to wake this morning and have notifications from my favorite sawyer forum!!!

Unfortunately, I can no longer claim to be a sawyer.   :'( :'(

I had to sell my EZ Boardwalk Jr.  last summer.  Didn't even have it for a year, my heart is still broken.

The drought put me under before I got chance to get started.  The loss of my mill put me into a deep depression, seriously.  :-[

Magicman: Haha, the Ministry in the Cavern is still just a dream... 

Until I can get another sawmill, I am back in the grind.  Now... if ya'll are feeling generous, i'll accept donations to get a new mill ;)  :D

I hope you all are doing well and still cutting lumber and living the dream - nothing else compares to being a sawyer, nothing. 

God bless,
Ozarkian

P.S.  I am the manager for a great company that actually may be beneficial to any iPhone 4/4s users.  It is called Bodacious Cases - the case itself is water resistant and durable, but what I think would be beneficial to you all would be the fact that it has port coverings to prevent sawdust from getting into the ports on your iPhone.  I am very well aware that even if you have your phone in your pocket - the sawdust still will get in. 

Check it out if you like, bodaciouscases.com or on facebook.com/bodaciouscases, BTW our Cases are 100% Made in America (St. Louis, Mo.).

8) We were featured on ABC World News w/ Diane Sawyer and David Muir back in December 3 times for the Made in America Segment.  8)

P.S.S. I miss this place...
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Ozarkian

Quote from: ramsfan18 on February 24, 2013, 08:08:51 PM
I'm a first time user to and was looking for a bandsaw sawmill. Like you I did not have much money and I found one for $2499.99 on Harbor Frieght and waited till it was on sale for 1799.99 and then took my 20% discount (which is easy to get online) and the final cost was less then $1500.00. The only thing is that you have to wait a couple of months before it is delivered and need a fortlift to get it off the truck.

Congrats on the new purchase.  I recall a while back, another user had picked up the same deal as you and was quite happy with their purchase.  Sorry it'll take so long to get to you, the anticipation must be killing you!

Don't forget to come back here and post pictures and a review once you get it for other interested viewers who may be considering it as well.

What got ya interested in purchasing a Mill?
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Ozarkian on February 25, 2013, 09:20:10 AM
... P.S.S. I miss this place...

Well, owning a mill is not a mandatory requirement for membership and participation in the Forestry Forum, otherwise I and many other members would not be here.

Best of luck with your endevours.

Herb

Magicman

Ozarkian

Quote from: Magicman on February 25, 2013, 02:08:03 PM
It is wonderful to hear from you sir.  Don't be a stranger.   :)

Thank you, I will try to make it in from time to time.  However, coming here is gonna get me bit by the bug and make me start itching to get another mill!  As much as i'd like that, it is not feasible at this time.

How's things going for you?  I have not read up on any of the threads or messages in quite some time.
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Magicman

Quote from: Ozarkian on February 25, 2013, 05:24:26 PMHow's things going for you? 
The rain has virtually stopped my sawing.  I have one customer that is hauling a few logs to my place each week for sawing because the sawmill is set up on a hill.  No one can get into the woods now.

The Cabin Addition is going well and I planed flooring lumber this weekend.  I should be back on that starting tomorrow.  Can't saw, can't sit, gotta work.   ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

HaroldSiefke

I have heard of some of the guys on this forum getting the mills that harbor freight sells. It is on sale right now for 1799 dollars. I think it looks like the  woodland mill. I own a woodland mill and it works well. The HF one has a 7hp motor but you could put a bigger one on later. It is no board walk junior though. Oh welcome to the forum. Hal
Harold

Thank You Sponsors!