iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

houseplant (SOLVED: poinsettia)

Started by Lanier_Lurker, October 07, 2009, 02:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

We have had this plant less than a year.  I re-potted it early last spring in a nice mixture of compost and composted manure from the Evergreen outfit in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.  Then I placed it outside on the deck table for spring, summer, and early fall.  This area is mostly shaded by a yellow poplar-oak canopy, but their is occasional direct sunlight.

It appears to have been very happy with this situation.   :)

I brought in back inside when we started getting some overnight temperatures in the mid 40s.  Now I am not sure where we are going to put it.

This picture does not do it justice.  The crown width is well over 3', and the height (including pot) is about the same.  (That is a pretty fat cat)

Any ideas what it is?

beenthere

Reminds me of a Poinsettia plant, but the leaf margins seem a bit too jagged..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

poinsetta would be my guess too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Lanier_Lurker

You are both correct.

It is our poinsettia from last Christmas.

I gotta do some research on what I must do to get it to turn red again.

SwampDonkey

I think it needs to flower for the color to come out. How you induce that is probably lots of light and humidity.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

According to Lindy it needs about 14 - 16 hours of darkness a day starting now for it to set the red leaves before Christmas.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jasperfield

Before frost, set it in the house where it can get sunlight. The upper leaves (bracts) will naturally begin turning red about mid December unless you force it with darkness, then it will turn earlier. It will remain red through April.

I have one that's nine years old. I bring it into the living room right at first frost. It stays there until about mid May. Then I take it out onto the patio where I prune it back to within six inches of the top of the dirt. It stays on the sunny patio till Fall frost. I water it well when the soil is right at dry.

Don't let it dry out completely and don't keep it continually wet.

Thank You Sponsors!