iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood delivery charge

Started by husky2100, September 19, 2014, 08:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

husky2100

I was wondering what all you guys charge for delivery per tuck load or trailer load i was thinking about 1.50 a mile what do you guys charge im near rome ny

clww

Here at The Beach, I deliver my loads of firewood with my pickup truck, so the most I ever haul is a cord. If more than 20 miles from our location, I'll add on a charge, but no set amount. I won't deliver more than 50 miles (one way) from here. If it's a repeat customer, I won't charge extra.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

husky2100

But how much do you charge for delivery is it by the load or the
mile

Firewoodjoe

I have a set cost for everyone. Keeps it simple. When they ask the wood price (like now it's $75 a face cord) that what they all pay. Yeah some closer ones I make more delivery but the far ones I make less. It evens out over the year. If necessary it's $2 a loaded mile on top of the current set price.

husky2100

Ok thanks i dont want to over charge but i dont want to be in tge red either

M Cook

We charge $2 a loaded mile after 25 miles for the load, we sell a 5 & 10 face cord load.  We haul a lot of loads from 40 - 60 miles one way. 

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

NWP

I charge $60 per cord to deliver and dump. $50 per cord if you buy 2 or more. That gets it 20 miles. After that it's an additional $3/mile. $1.50/mile would be hard to cover your costs and make anything. My pickup gets about 6-7 mpg. That costs roughly $.55 per mile in fuel alone. Don't forget, getting it there is only half the miles. You have to drive back.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Compensation

$120 a cord if they pick up. $150 hauled and dumped. $180 stacked. Negotiate after 20 miles depending on distance, quantity, and how loyal they are buying from me.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

John Mc

Quote from: clww on September 19, 2014, 09:00:40 PM
Here at The Beach, I deliver my loads of firewood with my pickup truck, so the most I ever haul is a cord.

How do you manage to fit a full cord in a pickup truck? I can only fit about 1/2 cord in, and that's if I stack, rather than throw it in. (Not to mention the weight of a full cord of some of the hardwoods I haul would be a killer on a lot of pickup trucks.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Corley5

I've got set prices depending on where I'm going. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

husky2100

So I'm guessing 2-3 dollars a mile depending on my load

Compensation

Quote from: John Mc on September 20, 2014, 09:01:46 AM
Quote from: clww on September 19, 2014, 09:00:40 PM
Here at The Beach, I deliver my loads of firewood with my pickup truck, so the most I ever haul is a cord.

How do you manage to fit a full cord in a pickup truck? I can only fit about 1/2 cord in, and that's if I stack, rather than throw it in. (Not to mention the weight of a full cord of some of the hardwoods I haul would be a killer on a lot of pickup trucks.)

It can be done. Doesn't look pretty but works. I was with 2 friends and we needed to get 12 cord dropped off asap. Using already stacked 4x8 rows that we made sure to remeasure we tried 3 in each truck. The loads were pretty steep and higher than the cabs. With 4 trips and 3 trucks we had our 12 cords. We stacked them for the customer and he even had 1/2 rick extra. I actually have a picture at work showing what 1 cord looks like, I will have to get it.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

36 coupe

My 3/4 ton truck could haul 1/2 cord.Stacked level,8 foot bed,This is 2000 lb.Any thing over a 1/2 cord is BS.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

martyinmi

Quote from: clww on September 20, 2014, 08:35:57 PM
Quote from: 36 coupe on September 20, 2014, 08:33:41 PM
Any thing over a 1/2 cord is BS.
Please explain that part. ???

I'd like to hear the explanation of that statement too. ???
My recently retired main cordwood hauler is a '90 Ford 1 ton. We have hauled over 1 FULL cord in it many, many times over the years.
My '05 Dodge is not a dually like my Ford, so I typically don't bring that much home, but I have in the past a few times.
The I.D. of most full sized pick-up beds are just over 5' wide and 8' long, and even after one subtracts the volume displaced by the fenderwells, the load only needs to be stacked something less than 3.5' high to come up with a cord.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Gearbox

I have a 97 F 250 with 3 leaf front springs and 1 ton rear springs . I haul 1 full cord of mixed landing hardwood all the time . side boards to top of cab to center stake 8 in. the rest of the way fill the box = 1 cord . When I haul red oak green I back off a little I think 5500 # Pay load is a little much for my truck on a 20 mile haul . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

OldMasterTech

Quote from: husky2100 on September 19, 2014, 10:34:37 PM
Ok thanks i dont want to over charge but i dont want to be in tge red either
It is  good to have all this comparative information BUT to succeed in business you must do your own cost analysis and set your rates according to your fixed costs plus desired profit margin.
All gave some ** Some gave all
Never forget

John Mc

Quote from: OldMasterTech on September 21, 2014, 07:25:27 AM
It is  good to have all this comparative information BUT to succeed in business you must do your own cost analysis and set your rates according to your fixed costs plus desired profit margin.

Not to mention having a good idea of what the market will bear.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Skip

First off, a cord of wood is 4x4x8 that equals 128 cubic feet. The depth of the bed on my 2500 Silverado is about 21 inches so if you factor in what you loose for the wheel wells with an 8ft bed there is no way to haul a cord without side boards. And a pretty substantial set at that.

M_S_S

I deliver wood with an old 73 Ford 250, have sideboards on it, haul a full cord of Pine or Juniper (Dry) which weighs considerably less than hard wood (we don't have any hardwood here. When I was cutting wood in the Sierra's ( big mountain range in Calif.) I cut black oak and had 2 Ford 1 tons and a 2 ton Ford truck. I hauled 3 cord of green oak on the 2 ton and a little over half a cord on the 1 tons. The 1 tons were used mostly for delivering dry oak and they would haul a full cord. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

John Mc

Wow! the oak around here can easily weigh 5000 pounds per cord when green. That 2 ton truck must have been groaning with 3 cords of green oak

jwilly3879

I have an '86 F350 and a load handler from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. I stack the wood 3 tiers the length of the bed about 24" high and then a row across the back with a rachet strap and get a little over 1/2 cord of 16" wood or as it is sold here, a face cord and half+. I can get more if I stack it all across the bed but it doesn't crank out very well, you need to pick all the pieces out that will bund on the wheel wells. The way I do it I can crank the whole load off in a couple of minutes.

M_S_S

Quote from: John Mc on September 21, 2014, 04:39:05 PM
Wow! the oak around here can easily weigh 5000 pounds per cord when green. That 2 ton truck must have been groaning with 3 cords of green oak
Lol It was loaded. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

CRThomas

I have a 250 ford I haul about 30 bundles of wood which weighs about about 600 to 800 lb delivered mini. 10 bundles $5.00 a bundle that comes to $50.00 Stores I deliver a 100 bundles on my 350 ford that comes to about a 1500 lb that brings me $250.00 dollars. My 550 ford some times I really load it down on a short haul like 3 or 4 ton. I had 5 ton on it the other day and I felt bad for it. I want my equipment to last a long time. I make more money with small loads of bundled firewood than I would make hauling bulk wood that's the reason I quit. I meet guys on the road with there trucks loaded so heavy they have to fight the wheel to stay on the road. I am in to making money not how much I can haul on my trucks or trailers. I wash my equipment every week change the oil and filters every 2000 miles and I give them a hug every morning. Because they make me a very nice living.

Al_Smith

You can stack a full cord on an 8 foot bed 3/4 ton  pick up truck but I don't recommend you haul it any distance .Kinda makes it steer easily though .Doesn't want to steer real straight over about 20 MPH .

Thank You Sponsors!