iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growing curved timbers

Started by johnjbc, December 23, 2003, 09:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjbc

Was reading cktate's  Bridge-Ramp-Help Thread in the Timber Frame Dissuasion.
Came across a Tree that been pulled into an arch  by a falling tree when they logged my ground about ~5  years ago. It is about  9" DBH and seems to be growing fine although there are some suckers starting to grow up from the center of the arch.
Thinking about pulling some small trees over and letting them grow in a curve.  Anyone ever done this. Would appreciate any suggestions on the kind or size of trees to use.
John
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

rebocardo

It has been done. I saw something on TV (PBS?) a while ago about a guy that grew trees into all kind of shapes, including chairs.

etat

Well, if you could fertilize em good, and grow em quick I know where there's a ready market for em.  I'll take 3. ;D ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

CK, can't believe ya failed to find some curved logs. Around here, it's the Fern capitol of the US, and the trees that are left for shade for the ferns are ALL curved. I would take some pics and show ya, but, I'm a'feared you would slit yer wrists. :D :D :D

Why couldn't ya take some 2 X 6's and stack 'em on top of each other, flat ways, and smear some glue and them jack the center down, while supporting the ends to the height ya want, and just lag them suckers??? ??? The top of the arch would not show the lags when ya turn 'em over.??? ???

Couldn't be THAT difficult and the boards should all bend evenly, just watch for knots ??? ::) ;D ;D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Don P

Quotesaw something on TV (PBS?) a while ago about a guy that grew trees into all kind of shapes, including chairs

There was a back cover on a Fine Wodworking some years back showing those creations. Last I heard I think one of the west coast gazillionaires had purchased them and was gonna make a park that included them.

Don't forget reaction wood is seldom as strong as normal wood and often does funny things when sawed and while drying.

Thank You Sponsors!