iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got logs?

Started by Bibbyman, November 11, 2003, 03:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Mary got a little further behind in her sawing yesterday.  She got four tractor-trailer loads of mostly walnut in plus some red oak, cherry, sycamore and one ash.  

Some are veneer and will be shorted out.  We'll custom saw the lumber logs for the broker that owns them.

The sycamore logs on this end are veneer!  The broker said China buys about a half a ocean container full a year and this looks like this lot should do it.

Today, she got in logs on two more custom sawing jobs.

That ought to keep her out of Wal-Mart!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

D._Frederick

Bibby,
What size logs do you find that you get your best production rate out of? Can Mary cut 1500 bdft / day or would that be pushing it with the WM. Have you put in anything that saves you steps so that you don't saw a board then run to off-bear it?

ronwood

Bibbyman,

How many bd. ft. of lumber in the stack would you estimate?
Looks like it will keep Mary busy for a while.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Jeff

My guess is 9 to 11 thousand feet and thats witout knowing Nahthin. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I would say, hmmmmmmm, roughly, almost, 12332 ft.

Jeff

pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

woodmills1

Whack - veneer =  still a whack
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

Mary has often sawn mbf of 4/4 in a short day (6-7 hours) by herself with no interruptions.  With me and our oldest son helping,  we've done better than 2mbf in five or six hours.  By then,  we're ready to go to the house.  

Today,  Mary and son had mbf of 4/4 walnut bundled by 12:30 and quit sawing to do other things.  In that time, they also had two deliveries of logs to be custom sawn.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

yea, thats all fine and good but how much wood is in the DanG pile?

Tom

almost exactly, roughly, maybe, give or take, about 12332 ft.  :-/

Bibbyman

I don't know!  

The broker that owns the logs is to be out tomorrow.  I'll see if Mary can get a tally from him. ;)

We're really pleased to have the Terex now that we've got so many logs to handle.  Could say we could use something even bigger..

D...  We've sawn a lot of walnut logs that are butt cuts running around 16-20" and 8-10' long - making 8/4.  That goes pretty fast.  Then we've got a lot of short,  small, and rough logs that take a lot of time.  Mary does good to get 500 bf/day when sawing these.  

Our LT40 Super has a board drag back and Mary uses it sometimes to pull the board back to where she can step out and pull it - when sawing by herself.  When she's got help,  she generally does not use it.  We've got an edger but no rollers or decks or conveyors of any kind.

We pre-sort and load the logs at the skidblocks by grade, size and product so to produce as much of the same lumber with out sorting as possible.  Odd stuff is stacked aside and included in the next 'run' of that length log and grade.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

We should have a contest on this whack of logs to see who gets closest to the tally mark.  Tom and Jeff have put theirs in the hat already.  I say 13,350 bdft counting all logs in photo.   Did not know there was any such thing as veneer sickymore logs.  I just spalt them and saw 'em up.  I wonder if them Japaneese want some spalted veneer sickymore logs? ???
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

Oregon_Sawyer

12,985  Scribner scale.
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

UNCLEBUCK

Hello Bibby, nice log pile !  Do you put anchor seal or anything on the log ends after a delivery like that or dont you mess with that , jsut wondering ! thanks . :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Steve_M

I'm in at 13,600. :-/

Steve
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

EZ

Nice load of logs, Bibby. Do you run into nails and stuff in the walnut you saw. Walnut is my favorite to saw, except my wife won't help me saw it anymore cause she breaks out in a rash big time from it.
EZ

Bibbyman

Make your guesses in Doyle scale as I know this broker buys in this area using that scale. ;D
Sawing since '94

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

Bibby

Do we win your new loader if we are closest ? :D
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

pappy

12,825 fbm International :)

10,260 fbm  Doyle  >:(

95 pieces w/ an average of 16" diam. X 12 ft. long.

Don't forget to always ask what scale they are buying on.  

That's like 25% !!!!  :o

I could use a new loader also!  :D

Jeff

Let me saw em and I'll gare-rohn-tee ya I'm closest. ;D

smwwoody

no no this is doyle log scale not lumber sawed  ;)
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Bibbyman

Sorry,  no answer yet.   The broker was to come today but I think he wimped out.  Had about a 30mph wind. :-/
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!