iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CNC

Started by DDW_OR, December 26, 2018, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDW_OR

have been thinking of getting a CNC or 3D printer or laser engraver.
did some searches and discovered that there are all-in-one machines

has anyone ever used one?
"let the machines do the work"

ronwood

I have a cnc from Digital WoodCarver for 5 years. The CNC was designed and built by an engineer that use to work for Woodmizer. Good machine for the money. Not as heavy built has a shop bot or some of the other cnc routers. Just have to run a bit slower. Busybeaver also has the same unit.  If you decide to buy a cnc  I feel that the software used to design and generate the gcode is important. I use VCarve Pro for designing projects and producing gcode.  If you like to discuss via phone I will be happy to send my contact info via pm

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

low_48

If you want to use the laser for cutting, should be okay. If you want to use the laser for engraving, it will be incredibly slow. Traditional laser engravers almost have a flying head. A CNC can not duplicate those speeds because the Z axis is usually too heavy. 3D printers need to be more than just an extruding head to be successful. You need a heated bed to get the first layers to stick. Just like I think a Shopsmith is a horrible table saw, but with a fairly nice horizontal drill, an all in one CNC will definitely have compromises.

Thank You Sponsors!