iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Update for anybody following a canoe build progress

Started by Woodbender, June 24, 2007, 03:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbender

Okay - since the canoe came off the forms there's been a lot of headway (some even visible).

Glue got scraped and hull got faired and sanded. That's kinda like using a plane without the plane body and nothing flat to plane on. Cracks got sealed (minimal).  That's this stage here;

Next step was to pre-coat the wood so the fiberglass wouldn't "get starved" because of some areas of the hull sucking up epoxy unevenly.  It really pops out the color of the woor but it's still kind of hairy.

Next step was to leap into the fiberglass. Good heavens what a mess. It's kind of my frantic state.

Another shot of the mayhem;

Okay we're getting pretty close to the fill coat. The fiberglass is adhered to the wood hull with the wetout coat.

Sure enough we had to jump right back into the fill coat (to fill the weave of the fiberglass) within about 7 hours so we'd get a good chemical bond with the wetout coat.  And here's the happy owner 10pm Friday night (minus his head).

Things looked good until Saturday morning. Mr. Moth made a crash landing and got embedded up to his kneecaps.

The little pecker  >:(.

The gunwales are cut up and the thwarts are cut - the cherry slat seat is already made.
Thanks for looking!
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

sawguy21

8) Talk about popping the colour out. That is beautiful.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Quartlow

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

bull

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

Onthesauk

Beautiful!  I'd be afraid of ever getting that near water for fear of damage.  Just hang it in my living room or something.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!