iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How does Elm rate as firewood

Started by Local4Fitter, May 12, 2013, 08:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Local4Fitter

Last fall I came across a deal on a load of hardwood from a local tree company. Its about 8-9 cord for $300. I got the call while I was at work and said I would take it. The load turned out to be Cherry and Elm, mostly Elm. Does anybody burn Elm on a regular basis. If so how does it burn? I will be burning it in a CB 2400. Thanks Doug
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

thecfarm

At that price it will burn good.  ;D   It's a hardwood,so should do OK. I have no idea what to compare it too. I do hope you have a wood splitter.  ;)  That stuff splits HARD with just a splitting maul. My Father would leave it out behind the shed for a year. Than us boys would go at it with wedges and sledge hammers. Still would be a little hard to split,but no worse than beech after a year out back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Local4Fitter

I do have a splitter and its all split. Not stacked yet though. Need to build a wood shed first.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

r.man

When I was growing up all we burned was Elm because Dutch elm disease had killed all the mature trees. Burned well and was mostly dry when cut down. Finally had to switch to other wood when I was in my teens because the elm had been dead too long and was punky.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ianab

Elm makes perfectly good firewood, about average heat output for a hardwood etc. Just it can be a pain to split. If it's already split, no worries. Get it stacked up, dry, and you should be good to go.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

If it's American Elm, it's a middle of the road sort of firewood.  BTU content is about midway between White Pine and Sugar (Hard) Maple.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

WmFritz

If its American Elm the BTU's are about the same as Cherry. Red Elm is a little better. My SIL took one down last year and found out he's allergic to it. He stopped burning it and its still waiting for me to haul home.  :laugh:
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Local4Fitter

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just have one more question for Ian. What is Marmite? Thanks Doug

John Mc

I've attached one of the better BTU charts I've found (posted with the permission of The Chimney Sweep).  Unlike many of the charts you can find online, which compile lists from a combination of various sources, these guys actually took the time to check the underlying assumptions and normalize them so you are comparing apples to apples.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ianab

QuoteI just have one more question for Ian. What is Marmite?

Didn't take long for the thread to turn to food  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

It's a savoury spread made from left over brewing yeast. You either love it or hate it  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Local4Fitter

LAZERDAN

Get all you can, You can't go wrong, IF ya'll got a splitter                 Lazerdan

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: John Mc on May 13, 2013, 05:30:46 PM
I've attached one of the better BTU charts I've found (posted with the permission of The Chimney Sweep).  Unlike many of the charts you can find online, which compile lists from a combination of various sources, these guys actually took the time to check the underlying assumptions and normalize them so you are comparing apples to apples.

Thanks for posting that chart. It cleared up some misconceptions I've had forever.

As to the burning of elm, I think "The firewood poem" by Lady Celia Congreve says it best.

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.
By Lady Celia Congreve, © 1929, All rights reserved.

ihookem

BTU is average, but I cn say it gets real dry if the bark falls off early. I split a bunch today and is stringy. I like it though and is everywhere.

Al_Smith

On it's a monumental pain in the seat of the pants to split no doubt .However like any other wood it does burn and produce heat .

iceman7668

I get more splinters from loading elm into the stove than almost any other wood. Wear gloves!
John D Myers

Thank You Sponsors!