iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer advice needed please

Started by Brad_S., February 08, 2019, 09:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

I have never been a fan of this brand but I find myself in need of a higher production electric sawmill that can saw 24' beams and I need it soon and on a budget.

Unfortunately, the only saw I can find on the used market that will fit the bill is it Woodmizer LT70.  I found it after hours this evening so I can't call Woodmizer for assistance and I am looking for answers to two questions:

1)  I will need to add an extension. Is it as simple as bolting the extension on or are there cables and lines that must be elongated to cover the extra 6 feet? I assume that is the case and is lengthening the cables and cords an extensive project?

2)  The mill has 8000 hours on it. I know if that was a  gas or diesel engine machine, that would be considered long in the tooth. It appears the machine has been kept under cover its whole life.  Are the high hours something to be wary of?

I will be hard-pressed to visit the machine before committing to it. I hate to buy sight unseen but circumstances may necessitate it. If I do get a chance to look at it, what should I be looking for? Are there bearings that wear on the cantilevered head that would tend to make it sloppy? The DC motors on Woodmizers have always caused me to shake my head. What is the life expectancy of those units? 

What else should I be concerned about? Buying this unit will either cause me to modify my distaste for Woodmizer or reinforce my negative perception!  There is a chance for you Woodmizer fans to win a convert over!

Thanks in advance.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Southside

I can tell you that on my 70 with the remote there are no cables, lines, etc needed for the extension, just bolt on the frame unit and install the chain.  Is the unit you are looking at a walk along or remote?

As far as hours go, completely depends on maintenance and the operator.  8,000 is really not long in the tooth if the mill was maintained, 2000 is quite old if the oil has never been changed.  

The head is stabilized by four cam rollers that ride on two rails, not a terribly expensive item if they need to be replaced.  

Really hard to evaluate anything that is sight unseen.  Is it near a WM dealer that you could pay to look it over and give you an estimate on what if anything it needs?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_S.

Thanks southside logger. I hadn't thought about contacting Woodmizer to have them inspect it.  The mill is located somewhere in Kentucky. I'll have to search their dealership network.

The mill has the remote console. Remote operation has been a very important criteria in my search.

LeeB

Just curious, what is it that turns you off about WM mills? 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Brad_S.

I could go on a full blown rant with a laundry list of reasons but that would serve no useful purpose. I will just say that I have always thought them to be a case of the emperors new clothes.

LeeB

Dodge, Ford, Chevy I guess. We all have our preferences. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

PAmizerman

I don't think an extension can be added to a remote mill. Best to confirm with woodmizer. If you don't like woodmizer just curious why you aren't going with another brand?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Brad_S.

Thank you for that heads up. I will check with them hey soon as they open Monday.

Expediency is the main reason  I am even considering a WM. There are not a lot of higher end electric mills on the used market.  I thought I had found the absolute perfect unit, the biggest Timber Harvester they ever produced, but the seller decided to hang onto the machine at the last minute. I don't have a lot of time to sit back and wait for another brand of mill to show up on the market.

Southside

Ironically I called WM today to get a quote on an extension for my 70, which is why I have those answers. They are open tomorrow FYI
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PAmizerman

@Southside logger if it's a remote wouldn't you have to add to the cat track and the cables that run through it? 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

WV Sawmiller

I'd suggest you wait till you find a mill you will be happy with. I've had vehicles in the past I did not really want and was not happy till I traded them off for the one I wanted. Why go through that grief?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

charles mann

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 08, 2019, 11:36:59 PM
  I'd suggest you wait till you find a mill you will be happy with. I've had vehicles in the past I did not really want and was not happy till I traded them off for the one I wanted. Why go through that grief?
kinda like marriage.  ;D
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Dave Shepard

Command Control mills, the ones with the cat track, can only accept a 6' extension. On an LT70, that gives you approximately a 26' capacity. It's just a bolt on deal, very easy. Make sure the ends of the rails are drilled for it. I think all 70's are new enough to be drilled. I'm not sure, but an LT70AC might not use DC motors. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Percy

I have a 2003 LT70. Has 11500 hours on it. It has worn out some stuff but the motor is still running like new(Kubota 42hp). I have a a remote with a 6 foot extension. Didnt have to do anything to the cat track. Apparently for 6 foot extensions, it isnt needed......back then anyways. 
edit; What Dave and Southside said

If you need serious production, get a receiving table of some sort and good helper. After your production ends or runs out, you can sell it easy and go back to disliking them :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

tacks Y

Did you see there is a 70 on here for sale? Also I saw one on Lumberman's Digest. 

petefrom bearswamp

Victor isnt that far from Hannibal.
Take a short road trip.
BTW I like WM and GM trucks.
Have I had some issues with my WM mills? And GM trucks?
Yup./
But then if it is alive it will die, or get sick and if it is mechanical it will wear out or break.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

47sawdust

WM Indy is open til noon on Saturday.
Good luck with your new venture.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

GAB

Quote from: tacks Y on February 09, 2019, 08:25:22 AM
Did you see there is a 70 on here for sale? Also I saw one on Lumberman's Digest.
That is correct.
The ad shows an area code of 559 which I think is California.
Brad is showing NY in his avatar.
(2014 W-M LT70 HD DCS Wide)
Can you say road trip.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

tule peak timber

We just got rid of our Lt70 wide  (400 hours )a couple of months ago. My parents taught me  if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. So I will just be quiet ! >:(
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

stihltoomany

What did you replace the lt70 with them just curious
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Brad_S.

Thank you all for the help and advice, especially Dave and Percy and for informing me  The Indy office is open till noon.
This mill is also a 2003 and has the command control. Calling the office confirmed what Dave and Percy said, a 6 foot expansion can be bolted on with no further modifications needed.

Yes, the woodmizer is not my favorite brand but if I was going to get a mill from them, it would be an LT 70. So I'm going to go back and suggest to my associate that we make a move trying to try and procure this mill.Thank you again for your help.

LeeB

Try it, you might like. You may find the emperor is a pretty good guy after all.  :D

YellowHammer

8,000 hours sight unseen would worry me, be it Ford, Chevy, Woodmizer, John Deere, or Lexus.

If I was to buy it, I would carry it immediately to the nearest WM facility for a drop off, inspection and refit, as needed, before I cut the first log on it.  Bearings, rollers, blade guides, pads, belts, oil, hydraulics, hydraulic cylinders, bed rails, electrical cables, backstops, mast pads, raise lower chains, gearbox, feed chains, traverse gears, batteries, relays, lubemizer filters, check valves, debarker blade, swing motor, etc could all be worn to the point where it couldn't cut a straight piece of balsa wood. There's a difference between it working, and it being dialed in.  No telling if they babied it, used it, abused it, or trashed it. 

I have my mill serviced on the WM service loop every couple years by a guy whose been doing it forever, and he finds things I didn't even see.  If there's nothing wrong with it, it won't cost much.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Percy

Along the lines of what Yellow said(good advice), my 2003 lt70 had two serious  failures during the 8000 hour era. The up down gearbox failed  ( head dropped about a foot violently. The brass worm gear wore out. 
The second major problem was the pulleys for the main drive belt had worn to the point where the belt was  bottoming in the grooves causing much grief  for a few hundred hours till I determined  the cause of my problems. I have changed all cam followers at least three times in 11,000 hours. 

Theses failures are not unrealistic considering the age and use of my machine. Just things to look for and condsider. 

Price points vary with location. I have my lt70 listed at 30,000 Canadian with my insurance company which is is about 22,500 US. These numbers might be considered high but absolutely everything works on my mill. 

Good luck with this. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

47sawdust

Brad,
If you already have an attitude about WM mills buying a mill with 8000 hours might be a big mistake.
Not trying to be snarky,just an observation to help eliminate buyers remorse.
Timberharvesters are great mills and it is a shame they are no longer around.Doesn't Cook's make a mill that would suit your needs?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!