iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which winch from the grinch

Started by Mike_Barcaskey, December 12, 2005, 08:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Barcaskey

all of a sudden its time to get a new winch
as my old one is just that   -    old, welded, no-name, piece of crap
I have no preference as to a manufacture or model. just want one that works all the time
so

Warn
Ramsey
Mile Marker

My position: bigger is better, prefer electric over hydraulic

what say you   ???

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Modat22

I like worm gears over planetary gears since planetary gears can free wheel with no power applied at a bad moment.

I have one of those el cheapo's.
remember man that thy are dust.

slowzuki

Before anyone gives an answer, the Q should be, what cha doing with the thing? ???

vgbob

I'd agree with Slowzuki, what you want it for is part of the answer.
But to give you my 2 cents, I've got 3 different winches and they
all have their pros and cons.
From your question, sounds like you're looking for an electric
winch for something like a pickup. Last year I bought a  12000 lb
Mile Marker electric winch, which is a re-badged T-Max. From all
the research I could come up with on the Internet it was the
best value in an electric winch.  I've been happy with it, but
it's also not the winch I'd count on for continuous use. I use
it for self recovery on a one ton dump truck that I plow with.
So, I've never had to worry about the brake on the winch slipping.
I have a Ramsey hydraulic planetary winch which log with and
it has never slipped no matter how much I've had hooked to
it. The hydraulic motor can be run for long periods without
draining a batter, or overheating. The planetary gears make
the line speed pretty reasonable. Finally I've got a PTO driven
worm gear winch on woods truck that will snap a 3/8 cable
if you give it a chance. I've actually broken the truck frame
using it. You have to chain the  truck to a tree sometimes to
keep from just pulling the truck into whatever you're winching.
My point is that a worm winch is virtually bulletproof as long
as whatever is powering it holds up. The main drawback is
slow line speed.  And there is no question of the winch
slipping, the drum can only turn when running.

Mike_Barcaskey

IMO hydraulic is better, but I want to switch the winch between the front of the truck and a mount on the trailer. switching between two mounts limits me to an electric, unless I buy two winches, which I dont want to do $

what do I use it for?

helping to fall spars
skidding (with a log arch) and loading logs (on the trailer)
un-stucking stuck pickups

the biggest part of my question is which manufacture builds the most reliable, unbreakable whinch

rebocardo

> which manufacture builds the most reliable

Warn and maybe Pierce.

> unbreakable whinch

They are all breakable, I can attest to that  :D

> switching between two mounts limits me to an electric

They make hydraulic winches with quick mounts so you can mount it front or rear. Someone on the forum uses one that way. Just plug it into two disconnects in the back, just like you would with an electric winch. Don't know how clean it is to do though.

vgbob

I bought the Mile Marker for exactly that reason. I've got it mounted
on a receiver mount so it can be moved to the front or back of the
truck. And I plan to put a receiver hitch on the woods truck sometime.
Since I haven't destroyed a Ramsey or Warn, I can't say they aren't
good winches. The Mile Marker was substantially less $ for the
same capacity. The whole setup is pretty solid, it must weigh
somewhere around 120 pounds, so it appears to be fairly well
designed.

Ironwood

Mike,

I have a gear oil bath 8000 warn, and a 9000 and a 12,000 Ramsey. All electric. I want to get rid of one in the short run to buy a Hydro unit. The two Ramseys need mounted to a carrier for what you are talking about, one is from a gas co. truck with little usage the other is from a fire truck (looks like they just shined it up ifin they ever needed to use it) Both have worm gear and have the corded remote. They are beasties. The warn I currently have mounted to a nice homemade reciever unit, and have used it alot. It is still in great shape but I don't really want to get rid of it because it is the only one currently mounted. Let me know if you are interested perhaps it would be a good fit. Reid 724-331-0723
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

logwalker

One thing about a worm gear winch is the point of contact on the gear is small and made of brass and can be overloaded/overheated. In my research I came up with hydraulic with planetary gearing as bulletproof. All come with internal brakes for load control. PTO winches with worm gears are especially vulnerable to abuse because of the nearly unlimited amount of power available to operator. Check temperature of gearbox often if yarding logs with this combo. If the oil breaks down the brass worm gear will go away quickly. Check with your local utility and see what the line crews are using.

Mine is a Braden, 2-speed, 15,000 lbs, hydraulic over planetary, 450' 1/2" cable. Will pull my 18,000 pound truck up a 23% grade with airbrakes (rear) locked. Pretty impressive. Be careful. A lot of guys get hurt winching. Logwalker
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Mike_Barcaskey

interesting setup to switch from front to back of the truck, but I want to switch from the F250 to the trailer and the dump might be pulling the trailer that day

Reid, I'll call tomorrow night, how late?

slowzuki

I've got a couple of warns, an 8000 lb electric and 9000 lb industrial hydraulic.  The 8000 lb electric is for self recovery, you can burn the motors up pretty quick if you use them too much, they need time to cool between pulls.  If you want electric for continuous use get a worm gear model that is slow.

Hydraulic models can run all day without trouble.

Oh, and planetary winches don't do reverse under load well, the internal brake will heat the sucker up like crazy!  Its ok for once in a while but don't lower your 8000 lb truck down a mountain with a planetary.

OneWithWood

One consideration with a hydraulic winch - if the engine is not running, neither is the winch  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ironwood

ONEWITHWOOD, Good point. I have been thinking if I weld up the brush guard and integrated plow/ spare tire mount why not have three 2" receivers, one in the middle, then one each side for the TWO Ramsey winches!!! Then I could run one until hot then go to the other or both simultaneously to get the 12000-18000 pound truck unstuck. I LIKE IT!!! ;D
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

slowzuki

Ya got about one good 20 ft pull with a Warn 8000 lb electric with the engine not running.  100 ft +++ if its an easy pull.  Without the engine running the voltage drops quickly and you can smoke the winch if you are stuck in a mudhole or whatnot. This is cause as the volts drop the amps go up.

Quote from: OneWithWood on December 13, 2005, 09:08:52 AM
One consideration with a hydraulic winch - if the engine is not running, neither is the winch  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!