iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giant Tree hunting

Started by Dave Shepard, September 05, 2007, 10:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Anyone interested in a giant tree hunt? I think it would be fun to see some stately specimens of different species of trees. Yesterday I finally got a chance to put a tape on a big sycamore that lives in town near a McDonalds. It is 4 feet 8inches DBH. The tree has a huge crown, and is a real asset to the town, although I think it is so big most people dont even see it when driving through as the crown is so far up. I know there are others in my area that are bigger, but none that have such a big crown like this one. I will get pics soon. This is not strictly a biggest tree search, just looking for fine specimens. Who knows, we might even find some new champions when we are out hunting, that would be neat. If there is interest we could start threads for other species as well. Happy hunting!

Dave

Edit: I am consolidating the giant tree hunting into one thread, no need to have seperate threads for each species.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Daren

Very good idea, pictures would be better.  8)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Radar67

This ain't no where near the size mentioned below, but there are pictures....

This tree is in Seminary, MS. The dbh is close to 18 inches.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Fla._Deadheader

I will probably never get back to NJ to get a photo, but, There is a Sickeymore right across from one of the pieces of ground we used to deer hunt on. The road is higher than the bottom of the tree, and, I'm certain that tree is over 6' dia DBH. That would be about 12 feet up from it's ground level. 

Ed knows exactly where it's at, and we have talked about it several times. Never did look up to see how high it went.

A TRUE Girant  8) 8) 8)  It's located by the Iron Bridge near Roseland. ???  I think that's the community. Been a while. ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

I know where a big one is. ;)  It's an elm that if I remember right is almost 6' in diameter. Next time I'm on that side of town I will take a couple of pics.  We stepped off the crown spread once and it was about 100' (?).  The tree looks like the Swiss Family Robinson's should have a house up there. :D  Very beautiful.  He also has a large red oak.  My buddy is over 6' tall and his arm spread didn't reach across the tree. :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pigman

Stew, Your sycamore is the largest one I have seen.................................................

on this thread. 8) ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Daren

Do cottonwoods count? There is one down the street that has to be 72" dbh (well head high, big butt swell) The biggest crown of any tree here in town, covers most 1/2 the city block. There are sycamores just about every street 36"+ dbh in the boulevards...good thing when they have to some down they come here to get 1/4 sawn ;D

Radar67

Yeah Bob, this thread seems to be going the same direction of those fishing stories we keep hearing.  :D :D :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Daren

I have 3 trees in my yard. I crabapple, a pine and a tulip poplar...I almost forgot how big it was. It has to be 40" dbh and 100' tall (the city water tower is in the back of my lot and is is 90', the tree is taller, I am 6'3" and broad shouldered for reference) Ok, enough of that, I will get a big sycamore picture. The are thick here, just not as big as Dave mentioned.

Fla._Deadheader

The one I wrote about is near Rose MONT, not roseland. It is very near the Delaware River. I can give someone a phone number to call my buddy up there, and they can meet at the tree.

Just because I don't have a photo, does not mean that tree does not exist.  :) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

treecyclers

Would an Alligator Juniper measuring at the base 18'5" meet the requirement?
unfortunately, no pix are available, as I milled that one up last year.
But, I do know of a cottonwood that's bigger across than my F350 is wide!
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Dave Shepard

Daren, keep that saw away from that tree! :D

treecyclers, is that diameter or circumference? That's a darn big tree either way.

Tried to get a pic of one of the big sycamores, but I forgot the camera.  :( I am going to have to be quite a ways awat to get it all in frame.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Lanier_Lurker

Anyone in the Macon, GA. area looking for something to do could go to downtown Macon and take pictures and measurements of the sycamore in front of the Presbyterian church.  It is the largest sycamore I have ever seen up close with my own eyeballs.

swampy

padre is right on the GIANT sycamore in N.J. If I was to put it on ole homey and take a picture you would see nothing but tree. It would take 4 or5 guys to reach around those babies. A leaf from one would cover the screen of a 19" tv. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

treecyclers

Quote from: treecyclers on September 08, 2007, 04:26:05 PM
Would an Alligator Juniper measuring at the base 18'5" meet the requirement?
unfortunately, no pix are available, as I milled that one up last year.
But, I do know of a cottonwood that's bigger across than my F350 is wide!
Superdave

The 18'5" is circumference, making it about a 6' diameter.
The cottonwood is just stupid huge, it sits on a creek bed, and I think it would take me a week to take the whole thing down.
That said, I would prefer to leave it up, as it's majesty is incredible!
SD
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treecyclers

"So, how big you want'm Dave?"

Hmmmm.....how big ya got? I'll cut DanG near any tree I can get my paws on, once to try it, twice if I like it, and a third time to make sure!

I never know what I'll find in them logs, and I have chainsaws large enough to slice up to 5' across!
I best go dust off that disston I just picked up if there's some honkers comin my way!
Who's got a honker for me?
Have chainsaw, will travel!

jim king

Tom

Some kids could set up camp under that tree and be happy as a lark with vines growing from it.  They make great swings.  When we played Tarzan, we had to use ropes.   Playing under that tree would be so-o cool!

What kinds of vines are those?
what's the big tree?
What's the little straight white one on the right side of the big tree?

Man!  Walking those woods would be fun.

jim king

Tom:  The big tree is called "Muela de mono" or monkey tooth "Goupia glabra" and the vine is "Reynaquia" , a local name and I do not have the scientific name.  The little tree I have no idea.

Tom

Thanks.  I was trying to compare the same vegetation to my swamp.  Vines that big here would usually be grape.

jim king

Tom:

Here are some vines we use for turning wood.  They have beautiful grain patterns.

SwampDonkey

Wow, imagine a vine with a diameter as wide as a pin cherry, but a lot taller.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

turningfool

wow! its hard to imagine vines that big :o

Thank You Sponsors!