iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neighbor problems

Started by UpInATree, December 21, 2016, 08:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpInATree

A friend asked me for advice on this: 

She hired a tree service to trim along the perimeter of her property.  The branches were 20 feet long from trees belonging to the neighbor.  The homeowner asked the neighbor about trimming the branches off the trees which are over the property line.  The neighbor replied, "Do whatever you need to as long as you don't top the trees." 

The work was done, and now the neighbor has served legal papers to my friend seeking 85,000.00 in damages!  My friend has a voicemail message from this neighbor stating exactly what I quoted above.  Have any of you run into this before?  Any advice?  I said go to a lawyer.
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

ESFted

If you google 'legal precedent for cutting neighbor's trees' you will find some helpful information.  It probably depends on how your state laws are structured.  Most states let you cut branches up to the property line.  If your friend's tree guy went past the property line they might be trouble. Here in VA we have the right to protect our property from the neighbors trees if they are deemed dangerous.  This article mentions the "Massachusetts rule" on the second page.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/14/AR2007091401340.html

On the other hand when a hurricane blew one of my trees on a neighbors house, it was his insurance that bit the bullet.  I felt bad and payed his deductible.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

jdonovan

if 85 grand, and the other side already has a lawyer involved, there is no other move but lawyer up.

your friend is getting a lawyer, then arm-chair advice from the 'net isn't worth much.

Laws vary quite a bit from state to state, so what may work for ESFted and me here in VA, may be flat wrong in Mass.

jdonovan

Michalson v. Nutting , 275 Mass. 232 (1931)
The owner of a tree is not responsible for the damage its roots cause to neighboring property, but the neighbor's "right to cut off the intruding boughs and roots is well recognized."

is probably the most relevant case here that I can find.

clearcut

In most places, you are allowed to trim overhanging branches at the property line. If you have permission you can trim over the line to make the proper cuts. If your actions damage the trees, then you may be liable for that damage.

Some questions:
     Did the trees die or decline severely?
     How did the neighbor determine the value? There are formal methods to determine landscape tree value. You may need a certified arborist to determine the "loss".
     Were the trees over the line or do the trunks straddle the line?

Here is a page that describe some Massachusetts tree law.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/law-lib/laws-by-subj/about/trees.html

Good summary from the Nolo Press (self help legal books)

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/neighbor-tree-damage-46933.html

Laywer-up, but from an informed position.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ron Scott

Ditto to the above advice and as clearcut stated. A certified arborist usually needs to do the damage assessment for any such legal actions regarding landscape tree damages. Seek out the services of a certified arborist familiar with urban and yard tree values and an attorney most familiar with the "tree laws" for your state.

It's good that your neighbor has the verbal documentation of the permission given by the neighbor to allow the tree trimming. Be sure to retain that for the record. Also obtain immediate photos of the trimming work. Before and after trimming if possible.

There certainly must have been some misunderstanding on the tree trimming work to encounter an $85,000 claim after the fact.
~Ron

bucknwfl

I have been involved in this situation many times and it will vary state to state. As a certified arborist trying to make proper cut along property lines can put you in a predicament. In our state that can certainly give you some advantage in explaining why you cut more. But it boils down to property right and permission in Florida and I like it in writing

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

4x4American

Has the world gone mad???  This is ridiculous!!!  Drop that tree on the neighbors house when the neighbors are in it lol
Boy, back in my day..

bill m

If she is in Massachusetts she needs a lawyer and a licensed consulting arborist. A certified arborist can not give tree values. Also you can cut back to your property line as long as it is done according to good arborcultureal practices.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

LeeB

Quote from: 4x4American on December 21, 2016, 07:30:22 PM
Has the world gone mad???  This is ridiculous!!!  Drop that tree on the neighbors house when the neighbors are in it lol

The house didn't do anything.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Logger RK

Pictures of the Tree's would be good to see. I'm curious how this will turn out. I really like to see what kind of Tree  has that valve.

Randy88

Tell your friend to go see a good attorney, but remember, almost every time two attorney's go to court, one looses, so they might be advised to go to several and get a consensus of legal opinions.    Every attorney has all the answers, but in the end they are wrong about 50 percent of the time and still have a job, something I try to remember every time I deal with an attorney.   

CTYank

Still waiting to see if there's any resolution to the situation. Maybe this thread is just a one-time drive-by?

I'd very much like to hear/see what sort of tree(s) have limbs worth $85K. Could understand Barbara Bach (Daisy Duke).
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

coxy

:D I cut all the trees along my line and my neighbors line it took him 3 weekends to figure out what was different the look on his face was price less but we get along good his wife well thats another story  ;D I planted lilacs for a border 

MbfVA

I hope this won't be considered a thread hiJack, since it does involve a neighborhood, and several neighbors.  And, of course, a tree.

Interestingly considering the number of Virginians who made comments previously, it's between Charlottesville and Richmond Virginia on VA Rt 6.

The tree you are about to see in photographs is dead.   Big pine tree right at the entrance, next to a road with 10,000 cars a day or more.

It is on one neighbor's property, but within the 15 feet of the centerline of the road covered by our road agreement.   They have no problem with it being taken down.

In fact I'm not totally sure it's not on state right of way.   I'll check on that tomorrow with VDOT and post an update, just thought of that.   ROW is 55 feet from the state highway centerline each way here.   That would be a great outcome, let them cut it.   I just want the tree if it'll be worth anything on my sawmill.  I'd like to get it with just a minimal body count, like zero.

Email neighborhood discussion on it began a week or so ago, covering only getting estimates for a professional to take it down. Somehow the discussion turned 180° to neighbors going out this Saturday to cut it down themselves, collectively.

I am concerned.

Rear view (sun kept the exposure off, so I turned it b&w & lightened it)

Front view

My question, is this a widow maker tree  not to be messed with by anyone other than Paul Bunyan or a similar professional, or since it's leaning heavily, should it be pretty safe to fell?

It's the dead part that worries me, since limbs drop from dead trees without warning in my experience.

Don't worry, if you say it's totally safe, I won't tell them a word, but if some say danger danger I'll pass it along.

smiley_tom_dizzyguy02
www.ordinary.com (really)

Ianab

Problem is we can't inspect the tree, and don't know the experience level of the guy doing the cutting.

You are right that "dead" and "leaning" are both hazard signs, and so the tree needs a careful look over. Poke around the stump for signs of decay etc.

Now personally I'd probably take it down. Reasoning is the tree hasn't been dead long, as those smaller top twigs are still intact. Those tend to rot and fall off first, then the decay works it's way into the heavier branches. So large chunks of wood "shouldn't" drop on your head. And it looks to be clear to drop it in the direction of the lean, which is a good thing as dead wood is usually brittle, making your hinge more likely to snap off as the tree starts to fall. This isn't a big deal if you are trying to go with the lean, but it's bad if you are trying to steer it some place else.

BUT, if it's died from root decay from the bottom, and the stump is hollow, then that's a whole other "hazard". There may be little solid wood holding it up.

So I can't see the tree in person, and I have no idea what experience your neighbours have. If their idea of safety gear is sneakers and sunglasses, then I suggest you get someone in to at least drop the tree on the ground.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Power lines?
Need people on each end to block off the road. Make sure they are 2-3 times distance that the tree is tall too.
I cut ALOT of dead trees. Most times I cut the stump high. Just feel I make myself less of a target,if something does fall.   :-\
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

first are they good neighbors or bad if good tell them its to dangerous to cut   if bad tell to cut it  jmop 

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

coxy

TKehl

Is there anything on the other side of the road it could hit?  Powerlines, fences, etc.  If not it looks pretty straightforward unless the base is rotten.  Looks like it should clear the mailboxes. 

I'm not very familiar with pine, but if this were in my neck of the woods, I wouldn't call anyone either.  Make sure there are multiple clear exit paths (looks like there already are) and don't let anyone behind the tree in line with the direction of the fall. 

Side notes, I would probably drop that lower big lower limb before felling just because it's easier and then it's out of the way (unless it's aimed at the mailboxes).

Also, dead limbs can crack and fly when they impact the ground.  Keep watchers back a bit more than if it were green.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

MbfVA

I appreciate all the suggestions.  Coxy's  post reminds me of the executioner's song in the Mikado--There'd only some of them be missed.

Part of my concern about this comes from an accident my brother-in-law had on a farm he managed in eastern Virginia. He only bumped a tree not unlike this one with his tractor and wound up in the hospital with 10 or more broken bones in his left shoulder,  missed his head by a few inches.   Live trees I can almost figure out, but dead ones....
www.ordinary.com (really)

TKehl

Standing dead definitely progress faster with less notice.  We cut a lot of standing dead trees for firewood as it's already mostly seasoned on the stump.   ;D

If in doubt, we'll tie a chain or rope as high as we can, make an opening cut to "soften it up", vacate, then pull it over with the tractor.  Have a couple lightning struck oaks we need to do this to that have rotten cores for 15' with live wood on one half and nothing on the other half.   ;D

Only time I've ever had a close call was when I was being cocky.  Had a 12-14" oak snag (no limbs left) with a slight lean and probably 25-30' tall in a mixed age stand.  Since I knew exactly where it was going, I thought I would stand right by the stump and watch it fall for once.  (Normally I always vacate as soon as it's going over.)  DanG thing was rotten in the middle half way up, hit a 4" branch in another tree, broke in two, and the top half was coming right at me.  Did not have time to get out of the way.  Had just enough time to kill the saw and but got lucky and only ended up with a big bruise on my ankle and only from the bounce after it hit the ground.  Learned my lesson real well that day on the difference between confident and cocky.    ::)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

coxy

know the feeling when I was about 19-20 I was working by self (so I thought ) cut a tree and it got snagged in a birch about 10-12in walked over under the snag and cut the birch every thing went fine till I got over to the skidder(we use a fiber glass driveway marker for a measuring stick)and my dad was standing there he hit me in the ars with that piece of fiber glass stick talk about sting I think I would have rather got hit by the tree we said a few words to one another but I never did that again cause I never new if he was going to be there watching  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!