iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cordless Chainsaws - your experiences - recommendations

Started by opticsguy, July 01, 2018, 11:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Quote from: Jeff on July 07, 2018, 12:22:13 AM
Well, not sure what is going on here, but @HolmenTree  you were never banned, and never denied any sort of access by me for any reason. I've also not had any word you had trouble logging in.  If for some reason you got a banned message, it had to be from an old I.P. ban or something.  I can guarantee you have not even come up in any admin conversation about anything related to a ban or sponsor related conduct.

So, now, let me know what the heck has been going on so I can help fix it and end what ever these conspiracy theories that apparently are going on..
Hello Jeff, 
I'm able to post here through the link you tagged me with by e mail.
It is weird alright why I can't log in. I enter my user name and password then when I hit submit up pops 
 " An Error Has Occured"
"Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again."
Like I said earlier this all started right after I made my last post with my Stihl Canada MS261 sale advertisment . When I made that post I was getting second thoughts about hitting Post  thinking it may cause a conflict with  the Stihl USA sponspor here.
And sure enough I couldn't get back on the forum.
All the years I've been on here I have never logged out and had to log in without any trouble. So yeah I was suspicious  with the timing after I made that last post.

Willard Holmen
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

btulloh

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 07, 2018, 01:15:09 PMAll the years I've been on here I have never logged out and had to log in without any trouble. So yeah I was suspicious  with the timing after I made that last post.

Seeing any orange helicopters overhead?  :D  Could be the Stihl Security Agency checking you out.  Be careful and be sure to wear tinfoil hardhat.  
HM126

John Mc

Willard - 

Those are the exact symptoms I saw when the forum software was upgraded. I followed the instructions elsewhere on the FF to clear it up (cleared the cache and any Forestry Forum related cookies, if I recall. It took me a while to figure out how to do that on my iPhone.)

All was well until a while ago (possibly also around the time you made your Stihl post?)  My Cell phone stopped being able to access the site again, with the same errors you noted. Clearing the cache and cookies got it back on again.

To OP: my apologies for the topic drift. Electric chainsaw related post to follow.

John McNerney
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

OpticsGuy -

My brother has a Makita electric saw. He does not have to re-pull the trigger every 4 seconds. He just cuts normally.  I just watched a YouTube video where the operator cut cookies continuously for 60 seconds with no problem.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

opticsguy

OP here again . . . . .

Yesterday A neighbor asked me for help to pull his tractor, out stuck in the mud.  Wandered over to help. My tractor a lot larger than his and we needed to cut some overhanging branches. He pulled out his Harbor Freight cordless saw and started cutting.  Asked to use the saw and was impressed with what it could do.  This brief exposure to cordless chainsaws has only increased my enthusiasm and now more excited to check out the Milwaukee when it comes available.

Waiting . . . . . . . . . .
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

teakwood

After reading alot i purchased the MSA120 C from Stihl, with my still pending 400$ shop credit from the timbersport championship. It was sent from the main dealer in the capitol (250km away), arrived today, full of enthusiasm i went to town and picked it up at the bus station, dove home to inspect the saw. first impression, it's very small and light. cute little saw. i'm eager to try the saw pruning my plantations tomorrow.
The tiny little chain made me laugh, but then noticed: where is the bar, the bar cover, the file,....
Long story short, the guy who fill the boxes forget to put all the parts inside  , how dumb do you have to be??  They send the parts tomorrow and i get it saturday

Welcome to Costa Rica!!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

I have had the DeWalt 60V for two weeks now at the mill.
Use it quite a bit.
I haven't had any problems with it.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

weimedog

I have a Husqvarna 120i. Its a $250 dollar option ( Included is saw, battery, and battery charger) and I've used this one for a few months now. Its plenty of saw for riding around in the tractor. I've used it on everything from a tree across the road to in the house carpentry. Love it. And the advantages over a small gas saw are shocking. No gas to go bad. No gas smell in the cab. Enough power to actually get something tactical done. Battery last around 25-30 minutes. For the dollar its a steal. And with everythin else , you can over analyse this stuff to death. For around the yard and riding the tractor I have found I really don't need any more than what it is. A surprise as former "tractor" saws included 555 and 455 derivatives. And a few others all about power speed and hopped up gas powered small saws..but the lack of noise, no need to pull the thng to start it and enough power and battery life to be functional win the day...I am beyond surprised at how well that saw has fit into the mix. I bumped a 543 for my wife as well...and when I can't find it...its always on her work bench. I would call it a game changer.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

My Husqvarna T536 Li XP has been working flawless for me. Only use it up in the tree and as a trim saw at the chipper infeed. 
But don't let its size and quietness fool you, it's a very dangerous saw.
This happened a few weeks ago while about 50 feet up a tree, bar tip got a little too close to my left knee. Wasn't even at full power and the kevlar fibers never even got to the drive sprocket on that short 10" bar.
Further inspection I found a 6" cut  that went through 4 layers of kevlar.
Good thing the padding has alot more layers.

HolmenTree

My T536 LiXP which is a professional grade saw may be a little overkill for someone who just needs a occassional use saw and the 536 price is very high too, but I make a living with it.
Like weimedogs 120i and the suggestion of Dewalt and Milwaukee these are good choices. Even better if you have other power tools of the same brand to share the batteries with.

And on the subject of one handed use with a top handle battery saw....don't do it!
People have mentioned about these little saws working good on the ground clearing willows or brush with one hand holding the brush with one hand and  cutting with the other hand. Sooner or later that saw will bite you and cut off your fingers or cut your arm half off. These saws may not have alot of chain speed but they have a amazing ammount of torque as I found out on my saw pants.

It may not happen to you but it may happen to your kids or wife when they see you doing it.

lxskllr

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 13, 2018, 12:19:12 PM

And on the subject of one handed use with a top handle battery saw....don't do it!
People have mentioned about these little saws working good on the ground clearing willows or brush with one hand holding the brush with one hand and  cutting with the other hand. Sooner or later that saw will bite you and cut off your fingers or cut your arm half off. These saws may not have alot of chain speed but they have a amazing ammount of torque as I found out on my saw pants.

It may not happen to you but it may happen to your kids or wife when they see you doing it.
I cut my hand once doing machete work holding limbs, and cutting. Went through a leather glove, and I had to make a trip to the clinic for stitches. It doesn't take much for things to go sideways, and a 99% success rate isn't good enough imo.

teakwood

Holmen, did you stop the saw within the cut? or did the kevlar? i have heard that the safety pants won't stop a electric saw!?

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on July 14, 2018, 08:09:41 AM
Holmen, did you stop the saw within the cut? or did the kevlar? i have heard that the safety pants won't stop a electric saw!?
Both, 
it wasn't a kickback and when the chain made contact a split second earlier I had already released the trigger. Good thing I was holding the saw 2 handed as I had a solid grip on if preventing the bar nose sucking in deeper.
Cutting up high in a broad limbed poplar tree with a climbing rope and lanyard offers lots of work positioning flexibility, but you're always cutting with the b/c alot closer to your body then what's done on the ground.
Hardwood limbs are alot different to cut then say a spruce. Their heavy and twist and fall all over the place so you have to cut above them at about knee level.
 I was trying to avoid cutting my rope, moved the rope away but  it popped back near the area where I was cutting causing the bar nose to hit my leg.
I will do a video test on a old pair of safety pants with the battery saw. My 14 year old daughter will help me get it on YouTube ;D
But I think the stories about kevlar not stopping electric saws may be related to the big corded saws that are plugged into a wall outlet.

Al_Smith

I don't have a battery chainsaw but I do have several battery drills,one a hammer drill and also a sawzall .They do fine for short work but for a long job,especially with a chainsaw it would be hard to beat a gasoline powered .

Ljohnsaw

So, I have lots of DeWalt 20v equipment and batteries.  I just want a small saw for slab cleanup around the mill.  I have a Sthil 290 for everything else.  Looking over the Amazon reviews on the 20v, 40v and 60v saws, most are favorable (homeowners and arborists, not tree fellers).  The main complaint is the narrow chain jumping off when getting bound up and that it uses oil fast/oils heavily.

I really don't want to go to 40v or 60v mainly because of the cost of batteries but the tool is twice the price as well.  Anyone have the little 16" 20v DeWalt model and care to comment on it?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

HolmenTree

Today I took off the 10" .043 Stihl 61PM chain off my Husqvarna T536 LiXP and put on a 16" .043 Oregon 90PX 3/8 lo profile chain.
Cut really nice doing a little light ground work today in poplars. Made the saw seem a lot more useful.
Customer's neighbor said "nice Stihl!"
:D

Going to try it tomorrow up a dead 20" dbh dead poplar.

teakwood

I think that saw feels pretty uncomfortable with that bar on! 

HolmenTree

Its actually balanced really good. Those thin .043 bars chains are pretty light.
The battery at the rear of the saw is quite heavy. 

teakwood

I meant that the saw itself feels bad being a Husky because you put a stihl bar on her!

Is that a pro level saw?

My new 120i from stihl (hobby line) is ok for what i do, stock pruning the teak but i wouldn't feel comfortable to take down a tree. the saw nether has the power nor the chainspeed for such tasks.  

HolmenTree

Yup my T536 Li XP is a full XP pro saw. Lots of torque and battery life if the chain is kept sharp. I can bury the 16" bar and fell a good size tree as I found out yesterday. But I only bought the saw to dismantle trees from the top down in confined areas, the 16" will be nice when getting down lower in the stem  while blocking. Give a little more reach limbing 2 handed too.
Stihl doesn't sell a top handle battery here in North America, lots in Europe though. But I hear they can only be sold to licensed arborists over there.

HolmenTree

Used the 16" bar for the first on the 536 battery this morning up a tree.
I'm keeping the .043 16" bar on the saw. Worked really well in limbing and blocking down the tree. It cut better then the 10" b/c even in the smaller limbs from what I figure is there is a lot more clean fresh cutters to haul way the chips. 

Only got a few pics before and after of the 60 foot stone dead poplar.
I offered my elderly customer my phone to take pics while I was cutting aerilally but when the time came he touched the screen wrong and couldn't figure it out.

I felled the last of the 30 feet stem between his powerline and garage with my 066 mag.

opticsguy

OP here again . . . yes, again . . . .  :-)

My local and very best hardware store in all the world will not have any Milwaukee Cordless saws until September.  I would like to have one before this time and am thinking to buy one online.  So, recommendations for where to buy this saw?  

Also I briefly chatted with a Milwaukee rep yesterday.  He mentioned Milwaukee is coming out with a 15 amp/hr battery, larger than the 12 amp for the chainsaw. 

Thank you.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Dave Shepard

I've bought all my Milwaukee tools at the BORG. (Home Depot). Free and fast shipping or in store pickup. In the case of the chainsaw, you may have to just search the web to see who actually has one in stock. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!