iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buy Stihl parts online w/ parts lookup?

Started by woodfirst, April 01, 2008, 09:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Now let me tell about Husqvarna in case you didn't know .A few years back locally they made power play with some local dealers .Gave them a choice Stihl or Huskey .Stihl won out ,Huskey pulled their franchises and didn't purchase back the stock ,stuck them with it .

I'm pretty certain the Husqvarna models sold at Sears ,Home D. Lowes etc. are consumer models or at least that's all I've seen .If you think back and were around at the time basically McCulloch did the very same tactic and it didn't go well for them .There's of course more to that story as we all well know .

FWIW the closest  stocking Husqvarna dealer is nearly 40 miles away and he's not so good .On that if I need Husky parts they come from a dealer in South Carolina because there just plane out are none in this locality and because of past practices it will be years if ever again that there will be .

Paul_H

QuoteNow conversely with the shoe on the other foot  I'm a union electrician with both an IBEW plus a UAW journeymans card .I get payed very well .

I knew that about you Al and I believe I read the situation properly.You'd be singing a different tune if you did it for a living.
Honestly,what would you do if a crew came on the job at your worksite and were paid the kind of wages you think a shop should receive for the job you do? How long do you think before you were unemployed?

There are a few guys around here that tinker the same as you and want cheap used parts but would demand full wages for their real,full time job.
I give them what I can and don't feel threatened by their existance because they usually deal with the same kinds of folks.The thing is,how long can you receive Walmart prices and service and expect to receive the wages you get?I'm sure you'll do fine but maybe not so much for your grandkids.
It's very rare that a lawnmower or chainsaw goes out of our shop with a bill over $60 unless it is a pro saw in need of a P&C.The largest bill I've done here so far was $1200 for a full rebuild on a exciter for a 1000lb reversing plate tamper but our labour was 5 hours at $60 and the rest was parts.

QuoteAs far as using a dealer,any dealer for repairs I've not met a one that can wrench them as good as myself .That's not bragging just a simple fact of the matter .

I'm not disputing that statement as it's unimportant to me but if I had a nickel for everytime you stated it,I could buy a steak dinner for my wife and I. ;)
I enjoy your posts and your willingness to share your knowledge and that is the truth.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Al_Smith

:D Lively conversation to say the least .

To tell the truth I usually get the pro saws after the dealer says the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the saw .They are honest about it

Example low hours 020T with a cracked oil tank .Dealer probabley 400 labor and all .Good old Al ,used ms 200T crankcase ,flea bay with shipping 50 bucks .Changed the innards in about an hour and a half charged the guy 50 bucks .You work that cheap on saws ?

The trimmer  had 100 bucks in a good running 020T the replacement new of same was over 600 at the time .I don't rob these people but quite truthfully if I don't like them I won't even work on the stuff .I might take a notion to not even charge people .

I'll have to agree with you though if I were in business I'd be bankrupt in short order .Then I'd have to solicite for nickles myself to buy a baloney sandwich .Poor old Al with baloney and Paul with steak ,that's just not right . :D

Paul_H

It works for me  ;D

QuoteYou work that cheap on saws ?
Yes,sometimes I work too cheaply but there are other aspects of the business and things work out in the long run.It's a small town but we service a large area and I like the people,quirks and all.
There are always some freebies and goodwill and it works both ways.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Al_Smith

Quote from: Paul_H on April 04, 2012, 06:59:13 PM

There are always some freebies and goodwill and it works both ways.
Yeah I agee .On that in my own little life it seems an act of kindness is repayed in one form or another about ten fold and often from where you least expect it .

bandmiller2

An apology to one of our sponsers Stihl is in order, I took a rather cheap shot at them that whole heel click thing.They are strict, I'am sure with themselves and their dealerships but thats the price of exelence.The only two new saws I've bought in my life have been Stihl. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

2458n

IF I was in Defiance Ohio which direction would I look to find Al -Smith?

martyinmi

"...in the center of a giant corn field" of course!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Thank You Sponsors!