iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power unit for my other old mil

Started by lyle niemi, June 14, 2013, 07:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

It's been way to wet and muddy to work outside so we pulled the old minni mo in the shop to repair the PTO shaft on it so when the time comes to fit it to the other old mill I have it will be ready to go.

loggah

Lyle,Takes a lot of torque to twist a shaft like that! :o do you intend to fix the td 18 to have as a spare also ? Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

lyle niemi

Quote from: loggah on June 14, 2013, 08:29:47 PM
Lyle,Takes a lot of torque to twist a shaft like that! :o do you intend to fix the td 18 to have as a spare also ? Don
I think Im gonna use the 18 as a driveway land mark..lol maybe some one will buy it from me

loggah

Well itll make a sign nobody will lug off !! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bandmiller2

Lyle,do you know what broke that shaft,must have been a shock load.??MM's are kinda rare around my neighborhood,quess the name says it all. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

What's the difference between a G1000 and a G1050? Just the WHITE on the nose? :D About 30 years ago we used a custom harvest outfit that ran a G1000 and a big Fox chopper, it was quite a rig at the time. I think it had a 504 ci naturally aspirated engine with a loooong stroke. I've always like the MMs. I'd like a G706 and a G1000 Vista.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 15, 2013, 07:43:23 AM
Lyle,do you know what broke that shaft,must have been a shock load.??MM's are kinda rare around my neighborhood,quess the name says it all. Frank C.
The PTO was broke when I got the tractor so I dont know what caused the break, It must of been a big jar of some kind thats for sure

Al_Smith

I've seen more than one broke off for whatever reason .One of my John-Deere A's had a broken PTO .Fact I bent one on a Fergusen TO 20 and replaced it with a shaft from an 8N Ford .Had to change the bearing but the shaft was identical .

bandmiller2

Lyle,does MM make there own diesel or use something like a cummins.Pulled with an old fella that had a big MM,a contender if he could keep the rear wheels gripping ground. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 15, 2013, 07:39:39 PM
I've seen more than one broke off for whatever reason .One of my John-Deere A's had a broken PTO .Fact I bent one on a Fergusen TO 20 and replaced it with a shaft from an 8N Ford .Had to change the bearing but the shaft was identical .
Im not having any luck finding a PTO shaft so Im gonna order a piece of spline and have a machine shop fit and weld it on to the old shaft. I think it should be OK????

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 15, 2013, 08:22:05 PM
Lyle,does MM make there own diesel or use something like a cummins.Pulled with an old fella that had a big MM,a contender if he could keep the rear wheels gripping ground. Frank C.
I think the massey 95 and 97 had the same motor as the minni?????

ladylake

MM made motors in those tractors, 110 hp and lots of torque.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dgdrls

Lyle,

Those MM are dandy machines,
maybe these folks could help?
http://www.stammtractors.com/contactus.html

Best DGD

Al_Smith

Try this one Lyle .It's one of the largest bone yards in the midwest if not the entire country .http://www.andersontractorinc.com/default.htm

If they don't have it chances are they can find it .'tain't gonna be cheap though .

Here's another one http://www.robertstractor.com/servlet/StoreFront

I've gotten parts from both yards in the past .Andersons is about 20 miles from me .

Al_Smith

Now I got to thinking about that welding business .That shaft more than likely is induction hardened 4140 steel which is typically what PTO and axle shafts are made of.

Where the apparent failure was looked like after the portion that was hardened which seems a typical failure point .It would seem to me rather difficult to repair it by normal welding methods .Nothing is impossible though .

jmouton

I  had to do  the same  thing on a mf 20  industrial  ,but it was a shaft in the  trans  ,  what a pitb   since then  I have broke  2 more tracker s in half  and fixed clutches and other stuff,,   it was profitable ,

jim

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Thank You Sponsors!