iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stolen firewood

Started by Woodboogah, September 09, 2013, 12:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Pulled up to the landing this morning to notice someone helped themselves to do of the firewood decked up.  This isn't the first time I Have had issues on the landing.  What would you do?  Let it go?  Call and report?  I dint want my equipment or pick up messed with.  I cant stand a thief though. This was someone with a pick up, not grapple loads.  Thanks.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, they are cheep, set up 2!

A story my father used to tell from back in the 50's, and I do NOT recommend this course of action.

One neighbor noticed his firewood stack getting shorter faster than it should have. He hollowed out a log and filled it with black powder and plugged the end of it. The next evening he came home to see the neighbor's wood stove sitting in their front yard smoking and smoke pouring out of the smashed front door.

Believe it or not.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

brendonv

Thats awesome, would be a site to see. 
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

beenthere

Just a little bit of black powder would go a long way to getting the point across.  :snowball:

A 1/4 " drill bit, a dab of black powder and some sawdust packed behind it to pack the hole closed.
Might experiment a bit with a log or two, to get the effect but not blow up the house.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

If I thought just for a second that only the thief would get hurt,I'd park the stuff right to it. Steal no more Mr. Thief.
I'm just a whole diffeant person when it comes to stealing. I would gladly or I should say we,the wife too,help out anyone that needed help. Yes,we would put them to work around here,but they would be well fed too and whatever they wanted could be theirs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moosehunter

We had this problem last year at our snowmobile clubhouse. Set up a game cam and got pictures. The sheriff said the pics were not good enough to arrest the perp but was enough for him to pay the perp a personal visit. No more wood has been stolen.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

moosehunter

I do like Jon's story though!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Black_Bear

The NH Forest Rangers have been very helpful to us when we are dealing with wood theft, land vandalism or equipment vandalism problems. They use camera's and the Ranger up here will often stake out the site after hours.

Woodboogah

I was going to set a cam up.  The only problem is the only place to set it is on a butt off a tree. There are no low enough branches to set it up high.  I may give the wardens a call.  I would hate to start  seeing stuff out of my pick up go missing.  I would love to stuff some logs with some ffg. That would bite me in the end 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

goose63

with fffg makes a bigger bang :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

horselogger50

If it was me and I did the black powder with my luck I would ble the house up. I would talk to the warden or put up a game camera.

DaleK

A few firecrackers would get the message across without risking serious injuries
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

clww

Good story, John.
I, too, would set up some game cameras.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ed_K

1/2" hole 2" deep with 3f will blow the stove pipe apart, :o an experiment 1983. firecracker would be better.Trail cam better.
Ed K

stamper

instead of powder, a container of some kind of trapping lure?
small explosion with lots of STEAM ha ha ha
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

beenthere

I guess anything that could possibly blow a stove pipe off or a door off could cause a house fire even if the occupants are home at the time. That would be hard to live with if it happened to happen.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

Maybe a GPS tracking device disguised as a fungus you could attach to the firewood :) Sorry, you probably don't feel much like joking after being stolen from. Game cameras, bring a ladder to put it up if you need to.
Too many irons in the fire

DaleK

Quote from: stamper on September 09, 2013, 09:22:20 PM
instead of powder, a container of some kind of trapping lure?
small explosion with lots of STEAM ha ha ha

Oooooh - me likey - http://www.predatorpee.com/ - the skunk 'um in particular
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

sawguy21

In our youth my buddy got permission from the contractor to clean out the brush pile on the landing his dad was hauling from. We worked our tails off sorting, bucking and stacking firewood and fence posts during the evenings, went in on Saturday to pick up the fruits of our labors. Our sole source of income was gone. >:(  Monday morning the loader man was bragging about all the free firewood, my buddy's dad almost took his head off.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Parafiddle

I wouldn't use any kind of explosive or flammable device/material because you would likely end up on the wrong end of a judge with a lot more to worry about than just some missing firewood, especially if somebody was injured.  However, I was wondering what would happen if you put animal urine, skunk scent, etc. into a small plastic container and had it hidden in a log that was burned?  Would the scent release and cause a stink?  :D   Or, would the liquid be burned up in the fire and go up the chimney without anyone being aware of it?  I guess a simple trial in an outdoor fire would determine the result.  Anyone have experience?  .
I cut a bunch of small (2"-6" diameter) pine on my land last summer to start clearing an area to eventually build a house.  Unfortunately, I haven't been back there since (multi-day drive from home and my job situation doesn't allow me the time to get away). :-)   Saw imagery of my cutting on Google Earth taken a couple of weeks after I did it last year, and saw new imagery taken last month that looked like all of my trees were gone.  :o  I'm talking about a stack of trees that took me most of the day to cut.  Was hoping to cut it into firewood and/or fence posts for the future.  If it is all gone, I'll report it to the authorities as there has been other vandalism in the area (in the development, but not on my property).  I'd put up game cameras, but I only am able to get up there once a year for a couple of days each summer.  Might just have to bite the bullet and get one of the Wi-Fi cameras and set up a security system.  >:(   Any suggestions for a land owner that is far away from his land?

just_sawing

Gps Trackers are less than twenty Dollars now. They are so small they can be put on a child's tennis shoe. You can set a alarm for movement so you know when the loaded stick is moved. Then you also have a trail for the police.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

turbo885

I have always been lucky enough to catch them in the act except once they can really have excuses then. Have always called state police and they leave with a record and their name in the newspaper instead of wood. The problem is most firewood hacks think they are entitled to any wood laying on the ground or along the road.

Read some of their posts it is big thing with them not to pay for their wood you would think some of them won the lottery when they get a piece of wood laying along a road.

Compensation

Just a thought, what if they took the wood just to turn around and sell it to a little old lady?
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Ron Scott

Spray paint the ends of the wood well for ID if found. Contact the State Police, County Sheriff, State Co's and USFS special agents who may patrol your area, and let them know of the thefts and paint marked wood. Also set up a game camera to observe the wood pile. This is the season for an increase in firewood theft from the landing and decking areas.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!