iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maintenance and upgrades for the M6 Warrior

Started by mad murdock, February 18, 2018, 02:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

With snow and freezing temps in the forecast, I took the mill to the shop for some maintenance and an upgrade. Going to remove the 6" depth of cut blade and retrofit the saw as an M8 chainsaw powered mill. Will be able to cut 8" by 16"  when completed. Pics to follow... 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

After grinding the weld bead, I cut the weld with a hole saw, as the new larger vertical blade guard will be welded to the same mounting pins.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

Removed the 6" blade and guard and stripped the carriage to prepare for mods.

mad murdock

Frame extension welded on and arbor and drive shaft in place for new blade

mad murdock

Maintenance access modification. Added access hole to grease the outboard pillow block bearing without having to remove covers. 

mad murdock

Bigger blade finally added. This is the newer turbokerf blade that is supposed to make a kerf like a band blade. I shall report on performance when the current deep freeze passes 

mad murdock

Guard in place almost ready to make chips again!

mad murdock

Both guards on, ready for the powerhead again! Will get it done hopefully tomorrow and into some more wood maybe wed afternoon.

mad murdock

The waiting game is no fun! I should have the clutch drum pulley and have the saw back to power the mill hopefully by this next weekend if not sooner.  At least the snow is gone and it is warming up slowly! :snowball:

thecfarm

That sounds like that will be an improvement.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

Twill be a definite upgrade. I will be able to cut single side up to 8"x8" x20' and double cut 8"x16" or any size in between that dimension. I got a little package slip in my PO box this morning. Says it is from Kiwiland! Big thanks to Jake Peterson at Turbosaw for sending me the replacement piece!  Their service after the sale and support has really been very good. I should be into some more chips tonight. Have some black locust to cut for grape arbors. 

mad murdock

Black locust on the menu for this afternoon. Weather finally broke for a bit and got a little over 2 hrs in. Hard stuff, but the turbokerf 8" cut blade is working nicely. Cuts smooth! 

Ianab

Forget the myth that swing blades only do well in softwoods. The carbide cutters handle very hard woods as well. You probably have to slow down, but you can mill it better than most other style of mills. Might need to sharpen a bit more often, that's all.

Black locust wouldn't be considered "hard" in Aussie. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dgdrls

My Lucas has had no issue with Locust or Ash.

Nice thread, thanks

D

ButchC

Yep,
100% hardwood here and 90%  Ash and Locust also. Guess somebody forgot to tell me or the JP mill that it would only work in softwood ;D
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

mad murdock

Some WRC my bro and I cut the other day. With the mill dialed in on a nice log, we were stripping a board off every 45-50 sec. Our production run in 2 hrs of that was 750 bd ft of cedar 1x6's  8)

mad murdock

Thank You Sponsors!