iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Road bans

Started by Bruno of NH, February 21, 2018, 12:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

The road bans went up yesterday in my area
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

I'm not familiar with the idea of road bans.  Is this part of what "you guys" call mud season?  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Bruno of NH

Posted weight limits on the roads 6 tons in my town.
No posting on most state roads
I live off of a state road :)
It is for mud season
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Percy

Up here when the weather warms usually in March/April, the load restrictions as we call them come on. All log movements usually stop in this period. Have to plan for it and sometime the weather don't co operate. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

thecfarm

Town of Jay did it a few days ago. I've been expecting my town to do it too. I saw another town close by posted the roads too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Quote from: thecfarm on February 21, 2018, 01:36:28 PM
Town of Jay did it a few days ago. I've been expecting my town to do it too. I saw another town close by posted the roads too.
so what causes the road ban?  Is it freeze/thaw issues with the ground?  We don't have any such limits in VA, that I know of, and it preplexes me as to why there would be a weight limit on a state maintained road?
Liking Walnut

Bruno of NH

When the ground thaws out under a paved road with a bad base a heavy load will roll the pavement up like roller table.
Most state roads aren't posted that's what i'm happy about I can still get logs got 2 loads today.
The gravel road turn right deep mud if the base is not good.

47sawdust

Mud season is great!60° at the moment 13°tomorrow night.
 Before I had a garage my truck froze in solid one night,I had to pour hot water around each wheel to be able to move it.The road shoulders on the back roads are especially dicey.The road crews wing back the snow and the shoulders are not frozen creating a no man's land.I buried 2 vehicles up to the axles by getting over a little too far.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

Roads are posted in Chesterville.
I don't know for sure how the law reads,but seem like it has to be below freezing for 24 hours? Than you can truck on the roads. Not alot of truck police around here. Or I don't see trucks pulled over too often. There is a paper mill only 20 minutes from me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

cfarm - if it's the same as it was then the restrictions apply when the temperature is above 32F, below that you can run with what you got.  There is no time requirement.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

We had water going over the roads in a few places in our area yesterday!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sealark37

The members here who do not have experience in the North Country, have no idea what mud is.   Mud affects every outdoor activity there for weeks and sometimes months in the late winter and spring.  Regards, Clark

Kbeitz

Just go to Youtube and watch some Russian spectaculars if your really want to see some mud.
I don't know how they do it... 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

petefrom bearswamp

Kbeitz, they have no respect for their trucks and machinery. I would like to see the yards around their repair shops.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

nativewolf

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 21, 2018, 02:39:05 PM
When the ground thaws out under a paved road with a bad base a heavy load will roll the pavement up like roller table.
Most state roads aren't posted that's what i'm happy about I can still get logs got 2 loads today.
The gravel road turn right deep mud if the base is not good.
Thanks, that helps a southern boy understand.  We had our first deep freeze here in N Va that I can remember, with 3 weeks not above freezing, nights down to teens.  Ground froze and the logging got very slippery until spring came along 8 weeks early.  Now even with a bit of rain it is thawed and the trees have started pumping and drying out the forest, forest road are still a mess though
Liking Walnut

Peter Drouin

Bans going up today in my town.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jason.weir

signs went up here yesterday.

about 3 weeks early - looks to be a long mud season

Lots of folks standing around waiting for the frost to be out of the ground...

goose63

Ours will go up 1st of April for 8 weeks or so
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Dave Shepard

I've never seen a weight limit go yo around here, but there are a couple of dirt roads that are local traffic only when it gets muddy. I suppose if you had to get a load of logs off that road, then you would be local traffic.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Runningalucas

We've got load limits here in North Idaho for the last month.  The frost heave can be extreme in some areas; roads magically end up bumpy as all heck, or sometimes you end up with a giant 'heave' across the road, or along the road.  

There's a state highway here, that has axle limits of 14,000lbs, and all trucks, and buses on that road 30mph limit; talk about ruining a highway.....

Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

PA_Walnut

My lane is about the same...the base is just sunken in, the mud prevails. Any of my attempts to add stone are futile after a day or two. (and the rain keeps coming).  :-\
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

thecfarm

Bring in bigger rocks. I put some across the bog. Took some that was 3 feet across to hold up the forwrder with a load of logs. :o I crossed it fine with my 40hp tractor with a couple logs behind it for years.  :D

Bricklayer51

Went into town yesterday saw the signs up in Alcona county early for us. alpena should follow soon.

jmouton

frost laws came on here  on monday  ,  so things will slow down a bit 
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

rjwoelk

The idaho 97 from the canadian border to Bonners ferry was on spring breakup 3 weeks ago. 30miles at 25 mph
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!