iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Pecan with 7-Turbos

Started by E-Tex, December 06, 2018, 09:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

Is anyone milling PECAN with 7° Turbos?  How do they do?

I milled a large Pecan log yesterday with a 4°.  It was Hard and SLOW going.

The last few months I've used 7° Turbos almost exclusively (was using only 4's prior to that), so I don't know if I am just use to sawing faster with the 7's or was is just the Pecan being HARD that made it slow?  I just wasn't impressed with myself!

Saw'd 34" slabs with my WIDE.....wish I had the diesel for that one.
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Southside

I have milled Pecan, Hickory, and White Oak on my 35 with T7's and they did just fine.  It was actually frustration with 4's that drove me to the Turbos.  You have more ponies on your 50 than my 35 does so it should be even better.  Have mostly only sawn pine on my 70 but have a big whack of mixed hard wood to do in a week or so with it, the only band I have for that girl is a Turbo.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I have had 4°blades to wave with both Post Oak and Pecan.  Both times I switched to 7° Turbos and sawed flat.  The last White Oak that I sawed on two different jobs, I never bothered with a 4° blade.  I put the 7° Turbos on and sawed.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

+1 on switching to Turbo 7s.  They just cut better in all woods.  

Resharp is replacing 4s with 7s and new blades are T7s.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I replaced all of my 10° blades with 7° Turbos and I will probably do the same with the 4° blades or just discard them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

I've been building my T7° inventory as well.  but thought I needed the 4s on the Pecan.  I wish I had tried the 7.

L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

Here is the Pecan log that the 4° blade would/did not saw without waves.

I quickly changed to a 7° Turbo blade and sawed it.

E-Tex

I have some 4°'s for sale!!!!!!!!  ;D
L2 Sawmill LLC

jb616

Nice information to know. I have been using 4's as I have been cutting only hardwood. I will definitely try the turbo 7's. Can they reprofile the 4's into the turbo 7's when they resharpen if I decide to switch? 

Southside

Can it be done? In theory, but nobody is going to do it. At least Turbos are on sale now. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DR_Buck

Quote from: Southside logger on December 08, 2018, 12:22:16 PM
....... At least Turbos are on sale now.

I've switched exclusively to Turbo 7s on my new Super-Wide.     And this morning I took advantage of the current sale on Turbo 7s with free shipping.  ordered 2 more boxes.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

charles mann

iv been wondering which blade, or blades i need to get for my build. i will mostly be cutting hardwoods, pecan, red/white/live oak, maple and walnut, with the occasional SYP. my blades will have to be around 308"-312" x 2" wide with around 100 hp on a diesel. 
Any recommendations?
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

jb616

I was going to order a box and it says for high horsepower, wide cut mills.....mine is an old LT30 with 24hp....will I be ok? 

Southside

My 35 has a 25 HP Kohler and it is fine
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Skipper11A

Quote from: jb616 on December 08, 2018, 04:00:20 PM
I was going to order a box and it says for high horsepower, wide cut mills.....mine is an old LT30 with 24hp....will I be ok?
I called WM to ask about their Turbo 7 blades and the WM Tech told me that they are made for high horsepower mills.  He told me that with my 24HP engine I should stick with 4° blades.  I was impressed by his knowledge and appreciated his integrity.

richhiway

My mill came with 10* blades and I have been cutting white pine, seems fine. The manual says 13* for pine. Would they be better? I purchased the winter cutting assortment as I understand a lower degree blade (7*) is better in frozen wood,pine included. Sound right? Thanks
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

D6c

Saw the sale on T7s...seem to be available in carbon steel or bi-metal.  Is bi-metal worth it?  I switched to bi-metal on my metal cutting saw and they're great.

As far as HP...my 20 hp Onan originally came with 10 deg blades.  Recently it was recommended I use 4 deg but it seems my cutting speed is slower.  If 10 deg worked I would think 7s would.  (Sawing mostly hardwood)

Southside

Quote from: D6c on December 09, 2018, 09:55:47 AMIf 10 deg worked I would think 7s would.

The Turbos have a deep gullet, completely different animal, which is my guess as to why they are recommended for higher HP engines. In order for them to saw clean you need to keep your feed speed up or they will leave chatter on a board - yes you can saw too slowly with them for sure.  On my LT35 I run the feed speed right up to barely below the stall point, and she does fine.  20HP - can't say on that one, the Kohler on my 35 is labeled as being 25 HP but the exact same engine is on my edger and rated at 23.5 HP, so maybe it's like automobiles and the standards have changed in how HP is measured.  Do you know of anyone around that has some Turbos and you could buy one and try it?  

Oh - and yes the bi-metals are harder for sure, and they hurt more when you wreck them.  I run the double hards myself and have no complaints.    
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

I'm pretty sure I'll have a box or 2 of the T7 before the sale ends on February 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Busysawyer

I've seen this on this forum before and I just dont get it. I have ran nothing but the turbo 7 blades since I got my mill . I've said it before but i guess I'll say it again. I agree with woodmizer and think these blades are better suited for high horsepower mills. My 70 with a 46hp diesel barely has enough power to pull them through big hardwoods. Grade sawing your typical walnut and cherry saw logs yeah no problem but get some big oaks or hickory and my 46hp seriously struggles to cut well with the turbo 7s. What kind of logs are you guys sawing using the turbos on the lower hp mills?  By the way I'm not the only 70 owner that feels this way. I've talked to quite a few that have found the same thing.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Magicman

This is kinda like an "always" and "never" conversation because either answer could be right or wrong depending upon the log size and species.  I would give it a try because the worse outcome would be a compete failure and all that it cost was a blade.

Busysawyer

Mm, like I said I've never tried any other blade on my mill so as far as I know the turbo might be the best option. I've talked to several 70 owners that jumped on that turbo train and jumped right back off. When I need bands I'm going to try some kascos from cutting edge. Richard is going to send me three different profiles to try out. Who knows I might still like the turbos after that. I've had bad luck with the Turbo blades breaking at the welds and woodmizer wont stand behind them so I figure I'll give someone else a chance to take my hard earned money. I might go through a couple boxes with no breaks then I get a box that 4 break within the first 15 minutes on the mill. I call woodmizer they go through the checklist with me. Alignment right on, guide roller down pressure to spec, blade tension on the money, tracking perfectly.  No problems with the mill and they say no problems with the band so it must be my fault. Apparently my ability to properly change a band and run my mill varies from box to box of blades.

barbender

Thatbwould be very frustrating. Folks always talked like WM was very good about standing behind broken blade welds.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

I have never had a refusal on a broken weld, honestly never even been asked about it.  Just told to send it in.  

BS as to your question about size, about a month ago I had a pair of 20' long white oak come in for a customer, they were 32" on the small end so I had to Bibby them and it was before I had my 70 so I sawed them on the 35.  Now handling, turning those beasts was a nightmare, at first I would take them off of the mill, turn them, then put them back on, but sawing them was no issue at all.  Basically it was a full width cut for most of it - no problems with Turbos, lumber came out nice and smooth.  

I wonder how my HP the hydraulic pumps on the Super 70's consume, combine that with a wide head with a full width cut and maybe the band speed is dropping.  

One thing with Turbos is that they will cut until they don't, what I mean is one pass they are fine and the next they are dull, seems to come all at once. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

Barbender, as Southside stated he's has been told send them in. This is what I've heard from other guys as well. I think a lot of my customers service issues with woodmizer is based purely on who I get on the other end of the line. I'm not the type of person who is going to complain, argue or go higher up on the food chain unless I have a serious issue.
Southside, I'm new to this and like I said all I've ran is the turbos. I'm beginning to think I might just be expecting too much from my mill as far as cutting speed goes.  I started off grade sawing walnut and cherry exclusively, the vast majority of that was walnut. I think maybe I just got so used to flying through the cut that now that I'm cutting and slabbing large logs of harder species im just wanting to go faster than what the mill will handle.  It's not that im getting poor cut quality it's that I have to travel what seems to me a painfully slow rate. Also in a way I'm glad to hear from yet another Sawyer they are having wm bands break in the welds prematurely. According to the guy at woodmizer I'm the only one with these issues and there has been no quality control issues with manufacturing of the bands. 

Thank You Sponsors!